Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Erasing a CD-RW disc

Burn baby burn!

Erasing a CD-RW disc

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:08 pm

i use a few different programs to erase my CDRW discs:
Nero, burnatonce, today tried CDSpeed.

i was wondering if it makes any difference what program you use to erase a CDRW? is it possible they don't do it exactly the same? what effect can this have on the disc or on data subsequently burned to it?

i timed it, Nero took about 8:20 min, burnatonce and CDSpeed took about 8 min. why does Nero take longer?
[all were on the same drive of course - my Plextor 40x12x40x, but different discs. but all were Verbatim DLP HiSpeed (4x-10x) which have only been used once to burn roughly 3MB of data. it was a Full erase done at maximum (12x) speed]
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby espresso on Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:20 pm

No it does not make dfference. Erasing, that's a simple thing. Writting zeros to disc, am I right?
espresso
Buffer Underrun

Postby MediumRare on Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:45 pm

I had some problems erasing a DVD+RW a while ago (see this post at CDFreaks). Nero and CD-Speed didn't work at the time, though the bug was fixed later. DVDInfoPro did the trick on that one. It also has an option for a "DC-erase" (or something similar- I don't have the program anymore) that supposedly restores a RW to a "virgin" state on some drives.

So ther is some variation on how a program erases, although I expect it's just a MMC command that is issued with more or less overhead.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives