Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Experimental Data on DVD Longevity

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Postby Scour on Fri May 05, 2006 6:22 pm

longevity-freak wrote:Those Sony 8X DVD+R discs tested are made in Taiwan.


Thanks for the answer.

I hope my Made in Austria-Sony are better :o
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby [buck] on Fri May 05, 2006 8:37 pm

My personal oppinion is that Daxon-made Sony media is almost garbage. Medicore burn quality (most of the time), crappy bonding, and poor results in accelerated aging tests. ](*,)
User avatar
[buck]
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 am
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA

Postby longevity-freak on Sat May 06, 2006 12:34 am

More updates coming...
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby Phoenix '97 on Fri May 19, 2006 9:51 pm

I just skimmed through this thread, but here is a disc I burned over 3 years ago:
Image
1X Princo, the cheapest media I could get at the time, about $2 Cdn./ disc. Recorded with a Toshiba SD-R5002.

This disc was stored in a FujiFilm CD-R case, on a bookshelf. The room ranges from 18°C to 23°C in the winter and maybe 22°C to 26°C in the summer. Humidity usually isn't very high, it'll be at most 60% when cooler.
Last edited by Phoenix '97 on Sun May 28, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:11 am
Location: Winterpeg

Postby longevity-freak on Sun May 21, 2006 4:39 am

I apologize for the loss of disc quality scan pictures. I have only discovered the disappearance of the scans recently as I was very busy and do not have the luxury of going online frequently every day.

I am not sure if the photovideoi.com server has a policy of automatically deleting the pictures after a few days of uploading the pictures to the server. I will try to use the imageshack server from now on. Hopefully they will keep the pictures for as long as possible.

Please bear with me as I try to re-upload the disc quality scans which have been lost over the next few days. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you very much.
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun May 21, 2006 11:10 pm

longevity-freak wrote:I apologize for the loss of disc quality scan pictures. I have only discovered the disappearance of the scans recently as I was very busy and do not have the luxury of going online frequently every day.

I am not sure if the photovideoi.com server has a policy of automatically deleting the pictures after a few days of uploading the pictures to the server. I will try to use the imageshack server from now on. Hopefully they will keep the pictures for as long as possible.

Please bear with me as I try to re-upload the disc quality scans which have been lost over the next few days. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you very much.


Feel free to post them here in our forum, CDRlabs offers free online picture hosting for this sort of thing :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby longevity-freak on Thu May 25, 2006 1:36 pm

Disc test results which were previously lost have been restored on pages 62, 63, 64.
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Thu May 25, 2006 1:39 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
longevity-freak wrote:I apologize for the loss of disc quality scan pictures. I have only discovered the disappearance of the scans recently as I was very busy and do not have the luxury of going online frequently every day.

I am not sure if the photovideoi.com server has a policy of automatically deleting the pictures after a few days of uploading the pictures to the server. I will try to use the imageshack server from now on. Hopefully they will keep the pictures for as long as possible.

Please bear with me as I try to re-upload the disc quality scans which have been lost over the next few days. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you very much.


Feel free to post them here in our forum, CDRlabs offers free online picture hosting for this sort of thing :D


Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

May I know what is the hosting server URL for CDRlabs?

I will select a number of test results from the Central Database and post them here.
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby Ian on Thu May 25, 2006 4:15 pm

This FAQ explains how to attach pictures:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/faq.php#43

If you need a larger quota, please let me know.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby longevity-freak on Thu May 25, 2006 10:57 pm

Ian wrote:This FAQ explains how to attach pictures:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/faq.php#43

If you need a larger quota, please let me know.


Thank you!
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Thu May 25, 2006 10:57 pm

Memorex, a manufacturer of DVD recordable discs, has openly admitted that DVD recordable discs are far more sensitive to humidity than CD-R discs in environmental tests, in its whitepaper on lifetime expectations on optical discs, dated March 2006. This means that DVD recordable discs have a much shorter lifespan compared to CD-R discs.

To know more, please refer to Page 65, post #964 or click on the following link:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showpost.php?p=18747116&postcount=964
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby [buck] on Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 am

longevity-freak wrote:Memorex, a manufacturer of DVD recordable discs, has openly admitted that DVD recordable discs are far more sensitive to humidity than CD-R discs in environmental tests, in its whitepaper on lifetime expectations on optical discs, dated March 2006. This means that DVD recordable discs have a much shorter lifespan compared to CD-R discs.

To know more, please refer to Page 65, post #964 or click on the following link:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showpost.php?p=18747116&postcount=964


Nice find, longevity-freak.

You know, Memorex white papers have always impressed me for their detail and accuracy. Too bad their actual media stinks. :lol:
User avatar
[buck]
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 am
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA

Postby Scour on Fri May 26, 2006 1:30 am

longevity-freak wrote:Memorex, a manufacturer of DVD recordable discs, has openly admitted that DVD recordable discs are far more sensitive to humidity than CD-R discs in environmental tests, in its whitepaper on lifetime expectations on optical discs, dated March 2006. This means that DVD recordable discs have a much shorter lifespan compared to CD-R discs.


So they have to improve the lifetime ;)
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Ian on Fri May 26, 2006 7:29 am

[buck] wrote:You know, Memorex white papers have always impressed me for their detail and accuracy. Too bad their actual media stinks. :lol:


Yeah, they've got some smart folks working for them. I think most of them would like to sell the best media they could, but management wants to make $$$.

Anyway, isn't kind of funny that this whitepaper was published in March, right before their Gold grade media was released? I read it over and I was waiting to see something like "our Gold media lasts longer.. blah blah".
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby longevity-freak on Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:27 am

Weather report on Singapore:
Attachments
weather.JPG
weather.JPG (26.11 KiB) Viewed 865 times
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:56 am

ouch.... no wonder your discs have it rough! :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby longevity-freak on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:09 am

Page 65 and Contents Page updated with new information.
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:15 am

My earlier results:

Media: Verbatim 4X DVD+R
MID: MCC 002
Burned on 5 Jun 2004, 1+ Year ago
Storage: Not in dry box
Serial No: PNR-01-0015
Scan date: 30 July 2005
Attachments
pnr010015verbatim4xdvdr05jun2004.jpg
pnr010015verbatim4xdvdr05jun2004.jpg (97.17 KiB) Viewed 820 times
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:20 am

Media: TDK 4X DVD-R
MID: TYG01
Burned on 4 Jun 2004, 1+ years ago
Storage: Not in dry box
Serial No: PNR-01-0007
Scan date: 30 July 2005
Attachments
pnr010007tdk4xdvdr04jun2004.jpg
pnr010007tdk4xdvdr04jun2004.jpg (99.32 KiB) Viewed 812 times
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:23 am

Media: Panasonic 4X DVD-R
MID: TYG01
Burned on 26 Aug 2004, 11 months ago
Storage: Not in dry box
Serial No: ext09
Scan date: 30 July 2005
Attachments
ext09panasonic4xdvdr26aug2004.jpg
ext09panasonic4xdvdr26aug2004.jpg (95.26 KiB) Viewed 810 times
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:25 am

Weather for Singapore at 12.30 PM on 11 June 2006, humidity 74%.
Attachments
weather3bx.jpg
weather3bx.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 810 times
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:27 am

Weather for Singapore at 2.00 PM on 11 June 2006, humidity 89%, heavy t-storm and windy.
Attachments
weather7su.jpg
weather7su.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 804 times
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:32 am

Media: Fujifilm 8x DVD+R
MID: Yuden000 T02
Storage Conditions: not in dry box, exposed to 82-88% relative humidity
Serial No: 2006010201
Date Burned: 25 June 2005, half a year ago
Date Scanned: 02 Jan 2006

**Out of production.
Attachments
2006010201.jpg
2006010201.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 799 times
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:23 am

PDF e-books on DVD Longevity / Lifetime / Degradation are now available for offline reading.

[1] Really Disappointed with DVD Discs Media

Filename: ebook.zip
Filesize: 124 MB
Version: 11 June 2006
Last Page of e-book: 66
md5sum: 35933fe5c7de68576f53fd41bdbcfd68

Download Link:

http://s5.quicksharing.com/v/5678953/ebook.zip.html

[2] Experimental Data on DVD Longevity

Filename: ebook.zip
Filesize: 9 MB
Version: 10 June 2006
Last Page of e-book: 13
md5sum: 45de8c4fb00fce89c7870adf86a884f8

Download Link:

http://s7.quicksharing.com/v/9697463/ebook.zip.html

[3] The Unofficial HWZ Surviving DVD Media Durability Scan Thread

Filename: ebook.zip
Filesize: 36 MB
Version: 11 June 2006
Last Page of e-book: 12
md5sum: 046cf448bb82ee92cff1c2641567eb95

Download Link:

http://s3.quicksharing.com/v/2936697/ebook.zip.html

***Please verify the md5sum of the file that you have downloaded to ensure that you have downloaded the correct file.
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Postby longevity-freak on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:04 pm

PDF e-books on DVD Longevity / Lifetime / Degradation are now available for offline reading.

Please note that there are some broken links in the previous versions (10 & 11 June 2006) of e-books. These broken links have been fixed in the current version (15 June 2006). All hyperlinks in PDF files should work now.

The filesizes are so much smaller now and should take less time to download. The current version of e-books also features full color graphics.




[1] Really Disappointed with DVD Discs Media

Filename: ebookv2.zip
Filesize: 46 MB
Version: 15 June 2006
Last Page of e-book: 66
md5 checksum: c00a736c524499d1f8fb70c20229fde6

Download Link:

http://s9.quicksharing.com/v/5379432/ebookv2.zip.html


[2] Experimental Data on DVD Longevity @ cdfreaks

Filename: ebookv2.zip
Filesize: 2.55 MB
Version: 15 June 2006
Last Page of e-book: 13
md5 checksum: 55957ac5fb56084f28b14e3134766bd6

Download Link:

http://s2.gimehost.com/v/5434801/ebookv2.zip.html

[3] The Unofficial HWZ Surviving DVD Media Durability Scan Thread

Filename: ebookv2.zip
Filesize: 10 MB
Version: 15 June 2006
Last Page of e-book: 12
md5 checksum: 14652c226020be65d3f41e46ac9033e2

Download Link:

http://s9.quicksharing.com/v/4618437/1ebookv2.zip.html

***Please verify the md5 checksum of the file that you have downloaded to ensure that you have downloaded the correct file.
longevity-freak
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Recordable Media Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.