Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu May 12, 2005 2:17 pm

An interesting article posted here:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNews/Ga ... 36856.html

I haven't had a chance to read it through yet, but as you'll notice, I helped out with some of the info :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Re: Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby ItalianJob on Thu May 12, 2005 2:56 pm

>>If you want to buy a real Rolex, you would go to a reputable jewelry
>>store so if you want to buy real media, wouldn't it make sense
>>to go to a reputable supplier?"

True, but the problem is that even "reputable suppliers" sell fakes without knowing it...
User avatar
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: France

Postby RJW on Thu May 12, 2005 3:57 pm

Dolphin says that a lot of money is being spent by manufactures on both sides ensuring compatibility and reliability between the drives and the disks and disk manufacturers are pay huge fees to drive manufacturers to make sure their codes are included.


Sometimes it also works the other way arround. Remember Lite On complaints on MKM dual layer that the media was to expensive for the customers !.
And sometimes deals are made without money.
Also about huge fees. There sometimes is also something as we will be working on it allready if you pay but if you don't pay then we will be take a look at it when were really bored and we're out of coffee and can't go to home yet and our boss really want us to do something. :D

About suppliers what if the compannies they do business with screw up.
Really a good supplier is one thing still if the distributer sucks it might mean problems. Unless you bought some big brand name like TDK or Verbatim who will say we will fix it if you contact us.
Really sometimes (and specially small computer stores) stores get very questionable info from there distributers.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands

Re: Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby dodecahedron on Thu May 12, 2005 5:32 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:An interesting article posted here:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNews/Ga ... 36856.html

I haven't had a chance to read it through yet, but as you'll notice, I helped out with some of the info :wink:

nice.
and you got our website mentioned.
too bad your's wasn't.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Re: Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu May 12, 2005 9:53 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:An interesting article posted here:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNews/Ga ... 36856.html

I haven't had a chance to read it through yet, but as you'll notice, I helped out with some of the info :wink:

nice.
and you got our website mentioned.
too bad your's wasn't.


Well, www.thedolphinreview.com no longer exists, mainly do to lack of time to keep it updated. In a lot of ways, www.cdrlabs.com *IS* my website, in all ways buy ownership :wink:

For those interested, I know the other 2 people who were also quoted on the article quite well. One of them is a former supplier of mine from when I was working at the blank media store "eNovation Media" (which is now bankrupt), and the other is a competitor/customer/friend of my current workplace.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Re: Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby dodecahedron on Fri May 13, 2005 1:50 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Well, www.thedolphinreview.com no longer exists, mainly do to lack of time to keep it updated.

didn't know that! :o
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 13, 2005 2:38 am

It's ok... one of these days I'll be pestering Ian for webspace to put up some new blank media reviews :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Ian on Fri May 13, 2005 8:00 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:It's ok... one of these days I'll be pestering Ian for webspace to put up some new blank media reviews :D


kickass
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Wesociety on Fri May 13, 2005 3:37 pm

Congrats!
Nice quotes. :D
User avatar
Wesociety
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby MediumRare on Sat May 14, 2005 4:47 pm

Interesting article. Gave you a big plug. :D
dolphinius_rex wrote:Well, www.thedolphinreview.com no longer exists, mainly do to lack of time to keep it updated. In a lot of ways, www.cdrlabs.com *IS* my website, in all ways buy ownership :wink:

It is gone. :o But it's hard to be active everywhere- good to see you sticking here. Are you no longer active on that other website where you're a mod?

G
User avatar
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: ffm

Re: Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun May 15, 2005 2:11 am

MediumRare wrote:Are you no longer active on that other website where you're a mod?
G


Well.... I took a few months off for vacation, but I'm back on there as well now. I'm on there 2-3 times a day during the week, and probably on here 10-12 times a day during the week. I'm also on redflagdeals.com about 6-8 times a day during the week. CDfreaks sees me maybe 3 times a month on a good month.

Basically, Redflag deals is in my own country, and I need to do a LOT of work to help keep the noobs from jumping on hot deals on crappy media. I do a lot of tech support for media related problems too. Since most of the stuff is easily available to me, testing it and giving results quickly is much easier for me, then when working with people across the ocean!

CDRlabs is at least based on the same land mass as me, even if not in the same country, and most of the same media people use is available to me. Not to mention I do reviews here and all :wink:

CDRinfo is based in Greece, and though it has a strong US and small Canadian following, most of the media used in the reviews is either completely different from what I can get, or is of a completely different grade, often giving VERY different results from what I experience.

CDFreaks is again based across the ocean in Europe, and the same location specific problems with CDRinfo apply to them.

Put much simpler, I spend the most time on forums where I can relate to people, and make myself useful. Although I find CDRlabs is so gosh darn friendly and fun to hang around ANYWAYS, I'd probably be here more just as much either way :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby MediumRare on Sun May 15, 2005 4:53 pm

I find it intriguing that spatial (or is it cultural?) proximity plays such a role in your activities. I can understand it, though, considering your strong ties to blank media.

Personally, I find it very fruitful to see the situation elsewhere- N.A. here (although some of the more knowledgeable contributions come from elsewhere), a strong Oz/NZ component at CDFreaks.

I really like the friendly and helpful attitude here too!

Most of the "hot deals" are causes for deep depression though- prices are so much higher here. :(

G
User avatar
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: ffm

Postby dodecahedron on Sun May 15, 2005 4:55 pm

MediumRare wrote:Most of the "hot deals" are causes for deep depression though- prices are so much higher here. :(

hear hear!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Re: Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby Wesociety on Sun May 15, 2005 7:44 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:CDFreaks is again based across the ocean in Europe, and the same location specific problems with CDRinfo apply to them.

CDFreaks has a HUGE North American audience and user participation.
User avatar
Wesociety
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Ian on Sun May 15, 2005 10:38 pm

I don't want to get into a big debate here, but they do seem to focus primarily on the European market. Nothing wrong with that since the owners are from there.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Is it Fake? Or is it Memorex?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 16, 2005 12:54 am

Wesociety wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:CDFreaks is again based across the ocean in Europe, and the same location specific problems with CDRinfo apply to them.

CDFreaks has a HUGE North American audience and user participation.


Well, I left out many of my reasons for that one because I don't want to cause a debate over any of the issues. :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Bhairav on Mon May 16, 2005 2:48 am

MediumRare wrote:I find it intriguing that spatial (or is it cultural?) proximity plays such a role in your activities. I can understand it, though, considering your strong ties to blank media.

Personally, I find it very fruitful to see the situation elsewhere- N.A. here (although some of the more knowledgeable contributions come from elsewhere), a strong Oz/NZ component at CDFreaks.

I really like the friendly and helpful attitude here too!

Most of the "hot deals" are causes for deep depression though- prices are so much higher here. :(

G


Not to sound like a stuck record, but at least the users from "Yurp" get quality media. I've been trying sooo hard with the local resellers here in Bombay to get some good media over, but they don't *bloody want to listen!!* Dolph, lemme know if you can help get some TY over to India, I'll be able to get quite a few users for them..

At least we get Verbatim DLP discs here at fairly reasonable prices, but they are still a rip-off compared to the prices the Americans pay. All the rest sell 4X or 8X MBI and Sony discs. Fair enough, they are quite cheap, at about a dollar a disc for the 4X Sony discs (RicohR01) but still.. TY is TY, and that just isn't available here..


And hey.. I've been trying to get a few Indians over to CDRlabs and CDF too.. hope they turn up :wink:
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
User avatar
Bhairav
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:44 am
Location: Bombay,India

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 16, 2005 10:39 am

Bhairav wrote:
MediumRare wrote:I find it intriguing that spatial (or is it cultural?) proximity plays such a role in your activities. I can understand it, though, considering your strong ties to blank media.

Personally, I find it very fruitful to see the situation elsewhere- N.A. here (although some of the more knowledgeable contributions come from elsewhere), a strong Oz/NZ component at CDFreaks.

I really like the friendly and helpful attitude here too!

Most of the "hot deals" are causes for deep depression though- prices are so much higher here. :(

G


Not to sound like a stuck record, but at least the users from "Yurp" get quality media. I've been trying sooo hard with the local resellers here in Bombay to get some good media over, but they don't *bloody want to listen!!* Dolph, lemme know if you can help get some TY over to India, I'll be able to get quite a few users for them..

At least we get Verbatim DLP discs here at fairly reasonable prices, but they are still a rip-off compared to the prices the Americans pay. All the rest sell 4X or 8X MBI and Sony discs. Fair enough, they are quite cheap, at about a dollar a disc for the 4X Sony discs (RicohR01) but still.. TY is TY, and that just isn't available here..


And hey.. I've been trying to get a few Indians over to CDRlabs and CDF too.. hope they turn up :wink:


Find me a computer store in India that'll take 33,600 discs, and I'll have them shipped out for you on a pallet :D

I don't think shipping 100 discs would come as much of a savings to you...
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby TCAS on Mon May 16, 2005 9:07 pm

bhairav wrote:

At least we get Verbatim DLP discs here at fairly reasonable prices, but they are still a rip-off compared to the prices the Americans pay.

That is the price you pay in government driven economy versus market driven economy.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm


Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.