Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Firmware problem MS 8348

Burn baby burn!

Firmware problem MS 8348

Postby dutchdude on Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:33 pm

I have a problem with upgrading the firmware of the MS 8348 dragonwriter wich writes at 48X / 16X / 48X .
After checking in Nero I have the MS-8348 , it doesnt say A or B version , but judging from the front panel pictures on the firmware update site , it must be the A version.
( By the way this burner uses EXAC LINK , 2 MB buffer )
Nero indentified the current firmware as 1.10 D , the website already has 1.20D and even 1.40 now !

Whenever trying to upgrade the firmware the firmware upgrade program CANT find my burner .
I believe the exact error message was no MS CD / writer found , or something along the line after it scanned my bus . :-/

Anybody can help me with this ?

I want to upgrade the firmware to see if it can solve a problem I have with it .

Once inserting a burned media or an empty disc the drive would 6 out of 10 not recoqnise the cd .
IT will keep spinning up and down like it was "searching" for something on the disk ,
After 30 seconds the drive just gives up and spins down , but windows continues to search , causing explorer to freeze when trying to acess the cd drive , the eject button also doesnt work .

This problem doesnt occur when using original audio cd`s or original games , it recoqnses them in one go .

I didnt have this problem when i first bought the drive , i burned happily for a few days till this occured .

Even the media that I burned at first wich was reconiqsed instantly when empty ( certified phillips 48X discs ) are having trouble reading , the only way to get around this is to eject -> re insert eject -> re-insert till it grabs it .

Very irrating as this can take some time , even with my old 10 speed burner I can burn a spindle of 50 faster then with this drive simply cause it can take minutes before I finally can get this drive to "grab" an empty disc

I tought I could solve this by upgrading the firmware but to no avail .

The problems manifested themselves about 3 days after buying the drive :-/

As for system specs :

Abit AT7 Max (1)
2 X 40 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM raid 0
XFX Geforce 4 4200
256 X 2 PC 2700 ram
T-bird 1.4 Ghz
3Com network card
Sony 12 X DVD rom
MSI Dragonwriter 8348

The dragonwriter and dvd rom are both configured as master drive , each are connected to a via chipset ide controller with one cable ( so no slaves connected to them )

The hard drives are connected to the highpoint raid IDE controllers of this motherboard , also each on one cable and configured as master .

So the burner isnt connected on a RAID controller wich would be a reason why the firmware program might not detect the drive in DOS .

ANY help on this will be greatly apreciated , I have consiered RMA ing the drive :-/
dutchdude
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:23 pm

You didn't say what OS you were using, but MSI's update program works only in DOS. True DOS. Not a command prompt under 2K or XP. In any case, I would wait until MSI releases the 150D firmware. It fixes a lot of problems.

I'm not sure why your drive is having problems reading CD's though.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dutchdude on Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:25 pm

I`m using windows XP , but have gone into real mode DOS instead of using a command prompt tough so it shouldn`t be the problem :-/
It just doesnt recoqnise the drive :-/
dutchdude
Buffer Underrun

FIXED IT

Postby dutchdude on Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:43 pm

Damn , finally gotten around to installing the firmware for this POS :D
I was reading up on some FAQs on my mainboard , ( Abit AT7 Max )
I noticed it said some writers ( most noticbly it said Lite on ) had problems flashing in DOS , when you dont have a hard drive connected to your VIA controller ( it has a VIA controller and a 4 port Raid controller )
With my hard drives being in raid i couldnt simply set them on the VIA controller
So I took the trouble of bashing out my burner and installing it on my dads ancient PC ( AMD K6 400 , ALI chipset :P ) ... and be damned the firmware program instantly reconqnised the drive.

I was gobsmacked at this ...

So if anybody else has this problem , but a Hard drive on your VIA controller as well as the CD rom , or try another chipset I suppose

Abit AT7 max chipset = VIA KT333

Cheers

PS

The 140 D firmware solved my bad CD reading problem
Hurrah !
dutchdude
Buffer Underrun

Re: FIXED IT

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:45 pm

dutchdude wrote:The 140 D firmware solved my bad CD reading problem
Hurrah !

The media compatibility with the firmware version is horrible. I hope they release 150D to the public soon.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

dragonwriter wich writes at 48X / 16X / 48X

Postby FreddyCoupler on Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:38 pm

I am having same problem here.
I burn't 2 cd's and worked find. / Now I have problem with cd writer not recognizing cd for burning. EVEN a store bough audio cd gives me trouble too, does not recognize CD, or does not know cd is in place?
Using XP Home ED> / P-4 / 2g / ATI vid card./
I was going to bring computer back to store and ask them to replace CD-Writer.
But now I think I should wait for the 150 firmware??
I too tried the other firmware update, but same problem, "cannot find CD-writer.

Any idea's what to do? ( I am not a programer or PC expert, so speak cleary please) :)

Fred. :-?
FreddyCoupler
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives