Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Fox titles not playing

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Fox titles not playing

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:54 am

I guess the customer should just suck it up and hope LG/Samsung make it better after forking out $30 for Fux's overpriced films? I guess this is just peaches to Blu-Ray fanboys who realize the BDA and especially the CE companies need to recupe R&D costs and feel the customer should just take one for the team. Right? I'll retract my bitch-fest if they can solve it within 2 weeks as promised but this just proves what a clustermess the Blu-Ray spec is.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:04 am

HD DVD also had their share of playback problems but I agree, BD-J is a mess right now. Even if they do get a firmware update out there, most consumers aren't going to have any idea how to do it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:58 am

The problem is that Samsung and LG didn't properly prepare for BD+, that's all. It's not a BD-J issue.

I'd like to point out that this is the first time that Blu-Ray has had problems playing back a movie, and it only seems to affect 2 titles (The Day After Tomorrow and FF4-2 TROTSS). HD DVD on the other hand has had many many titles not play back properly, and in a lot more then just 2 models of players.

I won't say it isn't a pain in the ass... of course it is. But I hardly think it justifies making childish "typo" variations of studio names. Especially when that particular studio has recently really upped the ante on their picture and audio quality in their releases :)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:56 pm

I'm not a big fan of Fox in the first place, so I won't retract it. :p

Out of the dozen HD DVDs I have (with several combos), my 360 add-on has only hiccuped a few times on initiating playback of Hot Fuzz. After restarting playback, it was all gravy. So I haven't personally witnessed all this combo misery as others have (yes, I don't have all the combo titles obviously).

Back to the topic, if Samsung/LG are to blame as you suggest, Fox wasn't incorrect in pointing the finger today. ;)

EDIT: I should've knocked on wood because my 360 add-on is now hung up on loading Heroes disc 2. :lol: :roll: - first time for everything. :-?
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:33 pm

vinnie97 wrote:Back to the topic, if Samsung/LG are to blame as you suggest, Fox wasn't incorrect in pointing the finger today. ;)

THe tip off for me here is that Samsung's first generation player, and the OEM's of that player can play the discs... so why can't their SECOND generation player? :o

As for LG.... well they just suck :P Anyone who bought that player in the first place is kinda crazy anyways... it costs more then an HD DVD player and a Blu-Ray player combined, and doesn't offer full HD DVD support to begin with.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:24 am

meh, Fox still could've done their due diligence. Supposedly, Samsung/LG didn't know about the fault prior to release! It's just a war of words now.

And about my Heroes disc 2, turns out it just needed to be left alone for a while...now it's working like a charm and immediately plays upon bootup.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:56 pm

High-Def Digest is reporting that Samsung has released new firmware that fixes the problem.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... _(18_posts)/Samsung/Technical_Glitches/Samsung_Firmware_Update_Corrects_Playback_Issues_on_New_Fox_Titles/1056
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives