Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Fuji DVD 8X at Best Buy

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Fuji DVD 8X at Best Buy

Postby TCAS on Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:36 pm

All; In Sunday AD Best Buy have advertisement for Fuji 8X 50 pack made in Japan for $39.99-$20 instant rebate=$19.99. I bought a pack of 50 today Saturday Nov.13 and I just finished burning 2 DVD Video using Nero Burning Rom, in both cases the burning process of 4.5 GB S/L & 4.6GB compressed D/L took 6.6 and 6.5 minutes with maximum boning speed reaching to the 15.5S & 15.7X. This burning was done on NEC ND-3500AG with modified F/W 2.18_TDB.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: Fuji DVD 8X at Best Buy

Postby myckee on Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:19 pm

TCAS wrote:All; In Sunday AD Best Buy have advertisement for Fuji 8X 50 pack made in Japan for $39.99-$20 instant rebate=$19.99. I bought a pack of 50 today Saturday Nov.13 and I just finished burning 2 DVD Video using Nero Burning Rom, in both cases the burning process of 4.5 GB S/L & 4.6GB compressed D/L took 6.6 and 6.5 minutes with maximum boning speed reaching to the 15.5S & 15.7X. This burning was done on NEC ND-3500AG with modified F/W 2.18_TDB.


No wonder my wife is happy, my typical boning speed is a bit longer than your 6.5 minutes. :D

Hehe thanks for the info. I am waiting for 8x Fuji to arrive at the Best Buys here in Canada.
myckee
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: CANADA

Postby Ian on Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:49 pm

lol!!
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Fuji DVD 8X at Best Buy

Postby TCAS on Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:18 am

TCAS wrote:All; In Sunday AD Best Buy have advertisement for Fuji 8X 50 pack made in Japan for $39.99-$20 instant rebate=$19.99. I bought a pack of 50 today Saturday Nov.13 and I just finished burning 2 DVD Video using Nero Burning Rom, in both cases the burning process of 4.5 GB S/L & 4.6GB compressed D/L took 6.6 and 6.5 minutes with maximum boning speed reaching to the 15.5S & 15.7X. This burning was done on NEC ND-3500AG with modified F/W 2.18_TDB.


P.S.the burning time meant to be 6.06 (6 minutes and 6 sec) & 6.05.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby vsekh on Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:11 am

Are these Fuji 8x TY02 media?
vsekh
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:37 pm
Location: Illinois

Postby Ian on Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:58 am

vsekh wrote:Are these Fuji 8x TY02 media?


I bought a 50 pack of their +R discs a couple of weeks ago and they were YUDEN000T02
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Dartman on Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:42 pm

The plus and minus I got also a couple of weeks or longer ago were TY also, not Yuden. Some stores have Yuden it seems and some carry TY in the made in Japan spindles. Mine do 16 in the BenQ 1620 and I think 12 in the 3500, maybe 16 for the minus.
Very good quality in either burner, lets hope the Yudens works as well.
User avatar
Dartman
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 2:13 pm
Location: USA

Postby TCAS on Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:05 pm

vsekh wrote:Are these Fuji 8x TY02 media?


Yes they are:

Taiyo Yuden Company Limited (T02)
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:39 pm

Dartman wrote:The plus and minus I got also a couple of weeks or longer ago were TY also, not Yuden. Some stores have Yuden it seems and some carry TY in the made in Japan spindles. Mine do 16 in the BenQ 1620 and I think 12 in the 3500, maybe 16 for the minus.
Very good quality in either burner, lets hope the Yudens works as well.


Taiyo Yuden has two codes, one for DVD-Rs and one for DVD+Rs:

8x DVD-Rs: TYG02
8x DVD+Rs: YUDEN000T02
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby crea78 on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:00 am

pointed out by krkdnose @ CDFreaks

"You can get TWO spindles for $19.99 if you take Sunday's Circuit City ad with you. There's a coupon in there for "Buy one get one free" on any DVD media and Best Buy will price match that."

If you have a Circuit City near you, then this is a great deal with the coupon. 100 TY Discs for $20 is INSANE :) Just make sure you show the coupon to the cashier when you get ready to purchase the discs. The manager will probably have to approve it, but krkdnose didn't have a problem when he went to two of his local BestBuys.
crea78
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:49 am
Location: USA

Postby uknown1234 on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:57 am

crea78 wrote:pointed out by krkdnose @ CDFreaks

"You can get TWO spindles for $19.99 if you take Sunday's Circuit City ad with you. There's a coupon in there for "Buy one get one free" on any DVD media and Best Buy will price match that."

If you have a Circuit City near you, then this is a great deal with the coupon. 100 TY Discs for $20 is INSANE :) Just make sure you show the coupon to the cashier when you get ready to purchase the discs. The manager will probably have to approve it, but krkdnose didn't have a problem when he went to two of his local BestBuys.

why didn't I see this yesterday.
*scrambles to find sunday paper for another run at bestbuy*
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:04 pm

Postby uknown1234 on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:03 am

kinda makes the deal of $15 for 50 pack 4x spin-x dvd-r (moser baer) at officemax mute.
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:04 pm

Postby VEFF on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:14 am

crea78 wrote:pointed out by krkdnose @ CDFreaks

"You can get TWO spindles for $19.99 if you take Sunday's Circuit City ad with you. There's a coupon in there for "Buy one get one free" on any DVD media and Best Buy will price match that."

If you have a Circuit City near you, then this is a great deal with the coupon. 100 TY Discs for $20 is INSANE :) Just make sure you show the coupon to the cashier when you get ready to purchase the discs. The manager will probably have to approve it, but krkdnose didn't have a problem when he went to two of his local BestBuys.


I tried this a while back (PM a B1G1F OD deal at BB) and one of my local BestBuy stores refused; others have also been denied.
This is YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)!
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby uknown1234 on Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:54 pm

yea either way is still worth a shot
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:04 pm

Postby Markz2k on Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:15 pm

I had no problems using the CC coupon at Best Buy. Grabbed 4 +R packs (Japan-made in the TY spindle), and just went through the normal checkout lane with the CC flyer. The clerk didn't even need manager approval. This was at the new Tustin, CA BB store.
User avatar
Markz2k
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 7:52 am
Location: So. Cal

Postby KTL on Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:52 pm

I went to two BBs today, first store didn't honor the coupon when I brought them up to the cashier. But the second store honored it when I brought them up to CS counter. Luckily, I grabbed two flyers from CC beforehand, as they took the coupon. The 50-pack DVD-Rs were on sale too, and were made in Japan as well, which seems to be TYG02. I'll have to stop by a third store and check. ;)
KTL
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:07 am
Location: Chicago, IL USA

Postby Hef on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:23 pm

Can you get these fliers at CC?
Asus A78NX/Barton 2500
BenQ DW1620 (B7P9)
Lite-on LTR-52246S
User avatar
Hef
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:48 pm

Postby KTL on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:49 am

Yup, it's more of a booklet since there are quite a few pages. The coupon is on the inside of the front page.
KTL
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:07 am
Location: Chicago, IL USA

Postby bobmitchell on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:45 pm

Hey...

Based on this post...I tried something and it WORKED! Went to BB and presented the coupon for Buy one Get One free...and then handed over two packages of Verbatim DVD+R DL Media. Got 6 disks for $29.99 plus tax...The manager came over and checked the CC coupon...never specified brand or quantity. If you want to pick up some DL media much cheaper...go to BB and use your coupon.

Bob
=D> =D> =D>
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:10 pm

Postby crea78 on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:46 pm

bobmitchell wrote:Hey...

Based on this post...I tried something and it WORKED! Went to BB and presented the coupon for Buy one Get One free...and then handed over two packages of Verbatim DVD+R DL Media. Got 6 disks for $29.99 plus tax...The manager came over and checked the CC coupon...never specified brand or quantity. If you want to pick up some DL media much cheaper...go to BB and use your coupon.

Bob
=D> =D> =D>


That's a very good deal, considering DL media now is $8+. I don't have the money now to get DL media since I just spent $60 on blank media the past couple weeks, but I would take up on this offer if I did.
crea78
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:49 am
Location: USA

Re: Fuji DVD 8X at Best Buy

Postby SA on Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:37 am

TCAS wrote:I just finished burning 2 DVD Video using Nero Burning Rom, in both cases the burning process of 4.5 GB S/L & 4.6GB compressed D/L took 6.6 and 6.5 minutes with maximum boning speed reaching to the 15.5S & 15.7X. This burning was done on NEC ND-3500AG with modified F/W 2.18_TDB.


So were these burns -R or +R. I picked up the DVD-R 8X Fuji discs (Made in Japan) today. The media code is TYG02. With NEC 3500, 2.18 firmware and Nero 6.6, it says it supports up to 12X. That's still fast, but I was thinking these were supposed to hit 16X, but now I see that's the +R 8X Yuden's.
Intel P4, 2.4Ghz
MSI NE0 865PE
1GB RAM
Memorex 52X CD-RW
NEC 3500A DVD-RW
Hitachi 160GB SATA
Maxtor 80GB in USB enclosure
ATI 9600 AIW
SA
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Iowa

Postby ETP on Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:54 am

Mine hits 16x in the dialog box with the 3500 and Fugi 8x +R and 2.16

BQ 1640 BSOB
NEC 4550 1.6T
Plextor 716a 1.09
Pioneer 109/A09 158
Pioneer 110/A10 1.39
Liteon 5005
Sony 875P & 333ES
Liteon 5005
HK7200
Hitachi 61SDX
Two Dell 8400s & 9100 with SATA HDs
User avatar
ETP
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: NW FL Panhandle/LA=Lower Ala

Re: Fuji DVD 8X at Best Buy

Postby TCAS on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:06 am

SA wrote:
TCAS wrote:I just finished burning 2 DVD Video using Nero Burning Rom, in both cases the burning process of 4.5 GB S/L & 4.6GB compressed D/L took 6.6 and 6.5 minutes with maximum boning speed reaching to the 15.5S & 15.7X. This burning was done on NEC ND-3500AG with modified F/W 2.18_TDB.


So were these burns -R or +R. I picked up the DVD-R 8X Fuji discs (Made in Japan) today. The media code is TYG02. With NEC 3500, 2.18 firmware and Nero 6.6, it says it supports up to 12X. That's still fast, but I was thinking these were supposed to hit 16X, but now I see that's the +R 8X Yuden's.


All you have to do to try with Nero6.6 to creat a data disc or just go ahead and burn a S/L DVD Video to find out that these discs (FUJI TYG02 +R) will burn at max 16X.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby KTL on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:07 am

The Fujifilm 8X DVD-R is TYG02, which can only burn up to 12X, while the 8X DVD+R is YUDEN000T02, which can burn up to 16X. If you have any older DVD-R with TYG01 media code, there's a hacked Liggy 2.18SE firmware done by Quikee2 that uses the TYG02 strategy to support 12X burn. There are also other strategy swaps. You can read about it here.
KTL
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:07 am
Location: Chicago, IL USA

Postby BoGMan1a on Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:18 am

Ahhhhh! The sweet satisfaction of a 16x burn on my NEC 3500 =D> \:D/ . I got some 8x Fuji's today and just burnt my first disc! I am now spoiled LOL. I will just have to get through all the 4x and 8x media that I still have before I hit these up. Oh well, just wanted to express my pleasure at the quality of these discs.
Main Computer:
ASUS A7N8X deluxe
AMD Athlon XP2500
1Gb PC3200
6600GT AGP
BENQ 1620
NEC 3500AG
Lite-on 52246S
Lite-on LTC-48161H
1 Tb of internal HDD space
750+ Gb external storage
Dual Boot Win2000Pro/XP Home
User avatar
BoGMan1a
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 9:57 pm
Location: Holland, Michigan (Texas transplant)

Next

Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.