Home News Reviews Forums Shop


LG GSA5163D 16X EXTERNAL $134.89 AMAZON

Got a hot deal you want to share? Need one?

LG GSA5163D 16X EXTERNAL $134.89 AMAZON

Postby jpuntel on Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:18 pm

THis Model is hard to come by in the US. It's a warm deal, now that it's successor is due in Apriil. It beats Sam's Club by $2 and no tax.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007VBQ5A/qid=1111691280/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-electronics/104-8520140-6515138?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282
jpuntel
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:05 pm

Re: LG GSA5163D 16X EXTERNAL $134.89 AMAZON

Postby TCAS on Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:37 pm

jpuntel wrote:THis Model is hard to come by in the US. It's a warm deal, now that it's successor is due in Apriil. It beats Sam's Club by $2 and no tax.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007VBQ5A/qid=1111691280/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-electronics/104-8520140-6515138?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282



You can buy the same drive from Newegg.com for $65.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 049&depa=1
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: LG GSA5163D 16X EXTERNAL $134.89 AMAZON

Postby ClayBuster on Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:01 am

TCAS wrote:
jpuntel wrote:THis Model is hard to come by in the US. It's a warm deal, now that it's successor is due in Apriil. It beats Sam's Club by $2 and no tax.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007VBQ5A/qid=1111691280/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-electronics/104-8520140-6515138?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282



You can buy the same drive from Newegg.com for $65.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 049&depa=1


You must have missed the EXTERNAL part [-X
Rick
User avatar
ClayBuster
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:11 pm
Location: MI.

Postby TCAS on Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:05 am

I am sorry Claybuster; you are right I didn't count for "External" side of it.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby jpuntel on Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:23 am

From a technical stand point, it is the same drive. The hook is that I've read that there has been alot of problems getting this drive to work in a external case. What I do like about this drive is that it has USB and Firewire connections.
jpuntel
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:05 pm

Postby VEFF on Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:22 pm

I think you can save about $40 by buying an external enclosure for $21.99 + shipping and the newegg internal version of the drive for $65 + tax.

The one BIG minus is that people have posted that you might not get full speed from 16X DVD burners when using an external enclosure.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby TCAS on Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:54 pm

CD Freaks has performed evaluation on this drive with "Editor Chioce" award being given to it.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby jpuntel on Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:26 pm

I been looking at the LG forum, over at CDFreaks, rarely can anyone get more than 20mb transfer rate using USB 2.0, thats around 12X. Firewire seems to fare much better. you have to have USB if you plan on any firmware update, firewire won't do it. As I stated before, nothing but problems trying to use the 4163 as an external. I don't think anyone has made a successful transformation with this combination.
jpuntel
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:05 pm

Postby TCAS on Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:29 pm

Jpuntel wrote:

but problems trying to use the 4163 as an external. I don't think anyone has made a successful transformation with this combination.

If you don't want to use this drive as external than you better buy Internal version of it for half this price.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby ETP on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:36 pm

TCAS! Checked the prices at newegg recently on burners. WOW!

BQ 1640 BSOB
NEC 4550 1.6T
Plextor 716a 1.09
Pioneer 109/A09 158
Pioneer 110/A10 1.39
Liteon 5005
Sony 875P & 333ES
Liteon 5005
HK7200
Hitachi 61SDX
Two Dell 8400s & 9100 with SATA HDs
User avatar
ETP
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: NW FL Panhandle/LA=Lower Ala

Postby jpuntel on Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:28 am

The price dropped to $128.15, at Amazon.
jpuntel
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:05 pm

Postby jpuntel on Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:02 am

WOW, 5 hours later, it's $141, I should have pulled the trigger last night.
jpuntel
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:05 pm


Return to Hot Deals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.