Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HELP! I need RELIABLE backups with Liteon 48125W

Burn baby burn!

HELP! I need RELIABLE backups with Liteon 48125W

Postby -A- on Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:44 pm

I am really confused... it was easier some years ago...
I used to have a 4X yamaha cd-r recorder, and I never had problems with a disc burned in it.
Now I have a Lite On 48x12x48 drive, and I am getting discs with tons of errors (discs that I can't read, etc.)

I have valuable data I would like to back up.

Which are the BEST CD-R's I can use with this burner so I can have reliable backups?

PS: Someone suggested Memorex discs, but the ones I saw in a shop were made in taiwan by Memorex USA, and he said these were supposed to be manufactured in Japan... Now I am confused... all discs I saw at the shop, Sony, Memorex, Maxell, Verbatim, etc. I think ALL were made in taiwan... nothing made in Japan
-A-
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:39 pm

Yes, some of the Memorex disc are made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden. Taiyo Yuden disc are simply the best media you can buy and are of the highest quality. They also seem to produce the lowest number of errors when tested and are very reliable. All the Fuji media that is out currently is being made by Taiyo Yuden and you can't go wrong buying Fuji disc. If you see any media with "Made in Japan" on the label, then you know fore sure your're buying Taiyo Yuden media. I would head over to the hot deals section of the forum to check out the Taiyo Yuden media deals that can be found in retail stores on a weekly basis. If you have any questions about whether or not a certain brand is made by Taiyo Yuden, post it in the forums and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. Verbatim DataLife Plus CD-R's are also another brand that will help provide excellent back-ups. However, don't get the Verbatim ValueLife Plus CD-R's, as they are of lower quality than the DataLife Plus series of CD-R's.

Good Luck shopping on Taiyo Yuden Media. :D
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:52 pm

For media results in the Lite-On LTR-48125W, look at this list...

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6005
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:54 pm

Memorex Spindles made by Taiyo Yuden look exactly like the picture seen above. These spindles also have Made in Japan on the label, which means Taiyo Yuden Media is inside. :D

The picture below shows the Memorex spindles that are made by CMC. CMC media is of lower quality than Taiyo Yuden and are made in Taiwan.

I hope these pictures better help you finding Memorex CD-R's that are made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:15 pm

I've had the same media problems :(

The best one's I've found so far are the Fuji Film 24x rated discs; these are Taiyo Yuden discs. These will burn at 40x with no problem; quite a few spindles of these in stores have had stickers placed over the 24x that say 40x. CDSpeed's CD Quality check always comes out 0 errors for me; surface scans are perfect. The 48x Fuji Film discs do NOT seem to be the same quality! If I burn 'em at 48x, I get a ton of (correctable) errors about 1/2 way through the disc. They're also Taiyo Yuden, but no luck with 'em so far. They seem to do ok at 40x, but not as good as the 24x rated discs. Go figure.
glock20rocks

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:45 pm

TY will have a darker middle than CMC disks as well. This is not the easiest way to tell though. Newer Memorex TY disks do NOT have the disk caps.

Also the protective disk on top of the real disk is darker for TY disks than for CMC disks.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:42 pm

aviationwiz wrote:TY will have a darker middle than CMC disks as well. This is not the easiest way to tell though. Newer Memorex TY disks do NOT have the disk caps.

Also the protective disk on top of the real disk is darker for TY disks than for CMC disks.

For the newer Memorex spindles, look for the Made in Japan too.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

I can't find made in japan media

Postby -A- on Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:01 pm

I live in Chile and ALL media I have seen (Memorex, Maxell, Acer, Imation, etc.) are made in Taiwan.
I doubt there is TY media here, I have never seen Fuji disks for example.
Any other suggestion?

I will continue searching though
-A-
Buffer Underrun

Maybe?

Postby -A- on Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:19 pm

I wonder if this are made in Japan Memorex media...

http://www.sistemax.cl/productos/cds/im ... mage3.html

and what about these verbatims:

http://www2.webco.cl/script/despliega.a ... RGENES%20-
-A-
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:30 pm

I'm pretty sure those Memorex CD's are probably made in Taiwan by CMC. Most of the Memorex's made by TY come in the spindles. However, I would try buying them and see where they are made in on the package. If they are not Made in Japan, then return them. However, only do this if the store your ordering from has a good refund policy.

As for the Vernatim's, those DataLife Plus CD's are very good. However they are not made in Japan. If I had a choice between Verbatim DataLife Plus and Memorex, I would go for the Verbatim's without a doubt.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:45 pm

Verbatim pastel color CDR 40x are TY made in Japan too. Excellent burn in 48x -no error at all .Slim case package of 10 costs 6 euro .

Philips/Memorex (Ritek made in Taiwan) CDR 48x are also my favorite good performance brands. Spindle of 25 CDR costs 11 euro
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:22 pm

In Staples they do have sale for pack of 50 CD-R from Optimum made in Tiwan and by CMC with 48X speed for $9.99 from $19.99 also comes with $10 rebate which cost you free. I got a pack last week they burn like a charm with no trouble. I am burning them with my Lite 52X24X52 at 52X speed.

BTW: Sales ends December 10.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:13 pm

BuddhaTB wrote:I'm pretty sure those Memorex CD's are probably made in Taiwan by CMC. Most of the Memorex's made by TY come in the spindles. However, I would try buying them and see where they are made in on the package. If they are not Made in Japan, then return them. However, only do this if the store your ordering from has a good refund policy.

I think CMC or Ritek makes Memorex's pre-packaged CD-Rs that come with Jewel or Slimine Jewel cases, at least here in the USA.

Also Ritek, Postech, Prodisc and Moser Bayer in India have made 80 min Memorex CD-R's in 16x to 32x speeds over the last three years. It seems like any company that can mass produce CD-R's in large quanities has made them for Memorex. If you buy a older 50 pack spindle you might get these companies CD-Rs instead of CMC or Tayio Uden.

PS: also get them on sale with rebate, never pay full price unless you can get them under 10 dollars. (edit - oops I forgot about other countries, sorry!)

A freind in Spain just sent me some (OOP and hard to find import CD's) recorded on Memorex CD-R's - they were made by Ritek with a different label design.
Last edited by BillyG on Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:23 pm

BillyG wrote:PS: also get them on sale with rebate, never pay full price unless you can get them under 10 dollars.

He can't really get rebates or good sales like us in the United States, because he's from Chile. His selection of CD media is really limited due to his location.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives