Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Help with file problems...

Anything else

Help with file problems...

Postby oharag on Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:09 pm

I downloaded a file from KaZaa that supposedly has three (3) images packed together under one ISO image (ie. Disk 1 through Disk 3). This file is approximately 727 MBs. It came down with a 8.exe extension. I've tried renaming it with an *.iso extension. When I tried opening it inside EZ CD Creator it told me it was an invalid ISO image. I then renamed it as *.bin, and I created a *.cue image (which didn't come with the original file) as such:

FILE "E:\Kazaa Downloads\*.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

I tried opening this inside Alcohol 120, IsoBuster, Daemon etc... IsoBuster states that:

The Primary Volume Descriptor (PVD) is unreadable etc....

I tried opening the original file with the *.exe extension thinking it was an autoextract file. All that comes up is a DOS screen, and it disappears. Nothing else happens. I renamed it as a 8.zip and tried opening it inside WinAce. It tells me that it's not a valid Zip file.

What gives. Is there a problem with opening multiple images under one file image? Or is this just futile trying to get this file open without knowing how someone created it? Any thoughts?
oharag
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:06 pm

Archived files ending in .exe are usually self-extracting. Since this didn't work in Windows you might try it in DOS to see if that works. It's also possible that the file is corrupted, and especially so since KaZaa isn't the most reliable of sources.

As far as the structure of the file, if it is a valid image file the freeware isoBuster will let you view and extract image files to your hard drive. isoBuster will usually work for identifying unknown image types.

Another freeware utility that is useful for image files is CDmage.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby oharag on Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:29 pm

Inertia, when I tried running the exe in DOS I get the following error message "Program too big too fit in memory." Any other suggestions? When I downloaded this file from Kazaa I believe they add the exe so that the file shows up in file searches. They also append a iso or bin extension just before the exe. You're supposed to take the exe extension off, and you would have the file as it should be. This one just had the exe. But, the description tag stated that it was three ISO's in one file. I tried running the exe in Windows and all that happens is a DOS windows pops up, and disappears (I guess too big). I've tried zip, iso bin. Are their any other formats I haven't thought of?
oharag
Buffer Underrun

Postby glock20rocks on Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:12 pm

Probably a fake file then...you tend to get that alot on Kazaa...
People think it's oh-so funny to waste your time like that...
glock20rocks

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:41 pm

glock20rocks wrote:Probably a fake file then...you tend to get that alot on Kazaa...
People think it's oh-so funny to waste your time like that...

RIAA ? :o
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:50 pm

dodecahedron wrote:RIAA ? :o

Grrrrrrrr..... :x :evil: :evil: :evil:

I respect the right to intellectual property, but RIAA goes too far.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to General Software Questions