Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HiDef Releases - Announced and Not

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

HiDef Releases - Announced and Not

Postby Grain on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:02 pm

Which movies are you looking forward to seeing in HD?

I'm waiting anxiously for 300, and in particular Dawn of the Dead(2004), one of my favorites.

Titles with no street date I'd really like to see are:
Fight Club (Fox)
Brazil (Universal)
Night of the Living Dead (?, lot's)
Pink Floyd The Wall (Warner)
Boogie Nights (New Line USA, Universal, Metropolitan Europe)
Magnolia (New Line)
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Buena Vista?)
LOTR
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:05 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to 300 and "The Host" in the near term.

Farther off, I am excited about Heroes: Season 1 on HD DVD and Transformers. I also think that the all CGI "TMNT" film will look pretty sweet in HD.

Of course I would also love to see LOTR and a slew of others, but I will skip talking about films with no release dates or release timeframes as of yet...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby OoAnd1 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:52 am

Armageddon. The DVD version looks great but it's non-anamorphic so I have to zoom in to get it to fill up the widescreen tv. At that point, the quality gets downgraded but it's still very watchable.

So if they never planned on releasing a DVD version enhanced for WS tv might as well do it for high def.. The good news is Armageddon is listed on the Blu-ray website as a future release. The bad news, it doesn't have a release date or much less any other information other than it's listed.

Some love the movie, others hate it. I'm definitely in the boat that loves it and I'm sure it would look great in HD.
OoAnd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby Grain on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:25 pm

OoAnd1 wrote:Armageddon. The DVD version looks great but it's non-anamorphic so I have to zoom in to get it to fill up the widescreen tv.

If your interested the UK, Australian and German versions are anamorphic. I just have the Criterion version myself.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Re: HiDef Releases - Announced and Not

Postby algrinch on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:47 am

Grain wrote:Brazil (Universal)

Spazmogen and I have been trying to get people to watch Brazil for years.

Brazil - IMDB

Follow up your viewing of Brazil with The Wall and your evening will be complete and you will never be the same.
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:00 am

algrinch wrote:
Grain wrote:Brazil (Universal)

Spazmogen and I have been trying to get people to watch Brazil for years.

Brazil - IMDB

Follow up your viewing of Brazil with The Wall and your evening will be complete and you will never be the same.

And the people said "Amen."
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:10 pm

algrinch wrote:Spazmogen and I have been trying to get people to watch Brazil for years.

I have added "Brazil" to my rental queue. I hope I can watch this without viewing "Time Bandits" first?
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:16 am

Wesociety wrote:I have added "Brazil" to my rental queue. I hope I can watch this without viewing "Time Bandits" first?

Absolutely. Time Bandits is dandy too, but they stand alone. If possible, get the re-issued Criterion version of Brazil, it's anamorphic.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:40 pm

I'm looking forward to "What Dreams May Come" being released on Aug 14th. If they do it right, it should a reference quality HD DVD, some amazing visuals in this flick, and great story too. Picked up Meet Joe Black on HD DVD for the wife, we watched it on the weekend. I must say, they did that one right, it looked great.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:22 pm

Grain wrote:I'm looking forward to "What Dreams May Come" being released on Aug 14th. If they do it right, it should a reference quality HD DVD, some amazing visuals in this flick, and great story too. Picked up Meet Joe Black on HD DVD for the wife, we watched it on the weekend. I must say, they did that one right, it looked great.

Meet Joe Black and What Dreams May Come are two movies that make for a teary eyed Dolphin... excellent movies, but I don't know if I could watch them again.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:53 pm

I just received "300" and "The Host" in the mail, both on HD DVD.

I also just placed an order for "Hot Fuzz" on HD DVD after reading the rave reviews. Over 16 hours of bonus materials have been packed on to the Hot Fuzz HD DVD release!
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:45 am

The Host looked fantastic on SD DVD, the HD DVD should be dandy. I'm still waiting on my HD-DVD copy of 300 :cry:
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:47 pm

How is The Host? I've been meaning to watch that.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Grain on Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:54 pm

I really enjoyed it! Different than a Hollywood film, in a good way, but it had a big enough budget to have great effects, good acting, was funny, scary, a great piece of fluff. I watched it in Korean w subs, the English dub job sounded too much like the old Chinese kung fu dubbed movies with Cockney Brits doing the voices for my taste. I usually prefer to watch & read foreign films, with the one exception of animation.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:20 pm

Ian wrote:How is The Host? I've been meaning to watch that.

One of my favourite movies, I'd highly recommend it! Grain's description of it fits it to a 'T' :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:13 pm

I'll probably get a chance to watch the Host tomorrow. A 300 HD DVD viewing is scheduled for tonight, guests coming over. 8)
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:50 pm

Based on the information from Weinstein folk at Comicon, and an insider's tip, I have to say I'm now looking forward to picking up the 2 movies from The Grindhouse on Blu-Ray. It should be Weinstein's first neutral title in HiDef :D

They aren't announced yet though... but according to reports from ComiCon, we should hopefully see them in the next few months! :)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby OoAnd1 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:31 pm

I'd like to see them bring the new "Serenity" Special Edition out on HD-DVD as well.

And I also can't wait to see the Spider-Man movies in HD. Hopefully they do it right and give it that 3-D feel to it.
OoAnd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:56 am

OoAnd1 wrote:I'd like to see them bring the new "Serenity" Special Edition out on HD-DVD as well.

And I also can't wait to see the Spider-Man movies in HD. Hopefully they do it right and give it that 3-D feel to it.

I don't know if a second release of Serenity is likely so soon on HD DVD, but maybe? But I'm sure that whatever happens, when Sony puts Spiderman out on Blu-Ray, it's going to be one of the very best looking transfers on the market, akin to Pirates of the Caribbean from Disney :)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:45 am

I'm really looking forward to Grindhouse on HD also, have they released any specs yet?
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:19 pm

Grain wrote:I'm really looking forward to Grindhouse on HD also, have they released any specs yet?

Nope, nothing official as of yet.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:13 pm

Grain wrote:I'm really looking forward to Grindhouse on HD also, have they released any specs yet?

Sadly nothing... they're just toying with our feelings the bastards! :P

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:46 am

I'm hoping for a monster package on this one, and will happily pay for it. I want the theatrical double header w/ fake previews all intact, single versions with missing reels back in, with and without the grain, cig burns etc. Spare no expense. Hopefully the Weinsteins don't use the poor theatrical reception as a guage for the disc release, there's a lot of Rodriguez and Tarantino fans out there willing to shell out. I've double dipped for both directors in the past, and I know a lot of others have too. Having said that, a big box set first would be greatly appreciated over the usual studio practice of an early barebones release first, followed by the SE 6 months later [-X .
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Shit.

http://videoeta.com/news/2327

'Grindhouse' splits up, 'Death Proof' and 'Planet Terror' get separate dates
Posted August 3, 2007 at 4:52 PM Central Time
By John Couture

For those of you hoping to relive the Grindhouse experience on DVD, it looks like your wait just got a lot longer. The Weinstein Company is releasing the two feature movies from the flick and giving each of them their own DVD release date.

First up, Death Proof will arrive on DVD on September 18th. Planet Terror will debut four weeks later on October 16th. While at first groan this release strategy screams of the classic double dip by the studio, all indications are that these DVDs won't simply just be the movie as previously thought.

A preliminary list (it will be finalized next week) of special features for Death Proof shows that there are a decent smattering of extra goodies:

Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof

Finding Quentin’s Gals

The Guys of Death Proof

Introducing Stunt Goddess Zoe Bell

Quentin Tarantino Interviews Legendary Director Cirio H. Santiago

Sneak Peeks – Planet Terror, 1408, Black Sheep, Feast

An International Poster Gallery

Teaser Trailer

Theatrical Trailer

Double Dare Trailer

The one thing that jumps out is the inclusion of the faux trailer "Double Dare." Early reports indicated that they were holding back the faux trailers for the eventual special edition Grindhouse DVD that is due out next year.

The cut of Death Proof is the 113 minute cut of the movie that played at Cannes and does include the missing reel that includes Vanessa Ferlito's steamy lap dance.

The details are still sketchy on the Planet Terror side of things. We have confirmed with the studio that the print will include the missing reel and add over 20 minutes to the film that was seen in theaters.

The most juicy detail that was confirmed by the studio was that the Planet Terror DVD would include the faux trailer for fan favorite "Machete."
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:14 pm

Grain wrote:Shit.

http://videoeta.com/news/2327

'Grindhouse' splits up, 'Death Proof' and 'Planet Terror' get separate dates
Posted August 3, 2007 at 4:52 PM Central Time
By John Couture

For those of you hoping to relive the Grindhouse experience on DVD, it looks like your wait just got a lot longer. The Weinstein Company is releasing the two feature movies from the flick and giving each of them their own DVD release date.

First up, Death Proof will arrive on DVD on September 18th. Planet Terror will debut four weeks later on October 16th. While at first groan this release strategy screams of the classic double dip by the studio, all indications are that these DVDs won't simply just be the movie as previously thought.

A preliminary list (it will be finalized next week) of special features for Death Proof shows that there are a decent smattering of extra goodies:

Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof

Finding Quentin’s Gals

The Guys of Death Proof

Introducing Stunt Goddess Zoe Bell

Quentin Tarantino Interviews Legendary Director Cirio H. Santiago

Sneak Peeks – Planet Terror, 1408, Black Sheep, Feast

An International Poster Gallery

Teaser Trailer

Theatrical Trailer

Double Dare Trailer

The one thing that jumps out is the inclusion of the faux trailer "Double Dare." Early reports indicated that they were holding back the faux trailers for the eventual special edition Grindhouse DVD that is due out next year.

The cut of Death Proof is the 113 minute cut of the movie that played at Cannes and does include the missing reel that includes Vanessa Ferlito's steamy lap dance.

The details are still sketchy on the Planet Terror side of things. We have confirmed with the studio that the print will include the missing reel and add over 20 minutes to the film that was seen in theaters.

The most juicy detail that was confirmed by the studio was that the Planet Terror DVD would include the faux trailer for fan favorite "Machete."

Why? That's good news for me. I love Planet Terror and totally despised Death Proof. I was hoping when Grindhouse was to be released on DVD that they will have the 2 movies individually. I still wanted ALL of the fake trailers AND the missing reels from Planet Terror. I take it they're alot of people out who feel the same.
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives