Home News Reviews Forums Shop

In House Review - Samsung SH-S203N 20x DVD±RW/RAM

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

In House Review - Samsung SH-S203N 20x DVD±RW/RAM

Postby Ian on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:02 pm

CDRLabs has taken a long overdue look at Samsung's LightScribe capable 20x DVD writer, the SH-S203N. While affordably priced, the drive features some of the fastest reading and writing speeds available. The SH-S203N is capable of 20x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW and 12x DVD-RAM writing speeds and has a maximum DVD read speed of 16x. On top of that, it's one of the few drives to offer both 16x DVD+R DL and 12x DVD-R DL writing speeds.

In this review we'll take a look at some of the features found on the SH-S203N and see how it compares to some of the 20x DVD±RW drives from the competition. Does the SH-S203N have what it takes? You'll have to read the review to find out.

[url=http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=314]Image
Samsung SH-S203N 20x DVD±RW/RAM[/url]

If you have any comments or questions about this review or the Samsung SH-S203N, please post them in the forum.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hoxlund on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:28 pm

i love my drive, i have 2 of these, sb01 firmware with unlocked firmware

here are all the options you can change on this drive:

Current Patches Available

Increase 16x SL Read Speed to 18x (FR)
This patch will increase the 16x read speed to 18x. The drives maximum read speed will still be shown as 16x but it will instead read at 18x. The next lower speed is still 12x.

Remove video riplock (RLR) <-- New
This patch removes the video riplock that only reduces the read speed when trying to rip a video DVD. This patch is intended to reduce the time required to make personal backups of videos that you own.

Fast Burn (12x PCAV) (FB)
This patch will change the 12x burning method from CAV to PCAV. This means that a disc can be burned at 12x in around 6 minute, usually with little to no lose of quality.

Retain book type after eject (BS)
I know a lot of you have been waiting for this one. This patch allows the setting of the book type without a disc in the drive and will hold this book type until the drive is reset/de-powered. No longer is the book type cleared when the disc is ejected.

Default book type DVD-ROM (ROMD)
This patch sets the book type to DVD-ROM when the drive is reset. This option can only be enabled if the "Retain book type after eject" option is enabled, otherwise the first time you opened the tray the book type would be cleared. You can still change the book type with this patch applied.
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Re: In House Review - Samsung SH-S203N 20x DVD±RW/RAM

Postby lex2005 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:25 pm

hi does anyone know where i can aquire these patches ?
lex2005
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers