Home News Reviews Forums Shop

how do I tell who made my blank DVD-R discs?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

how do I tell who made my blank DVD-R discs?

Postby mike_s104 on Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:02 am

I bought some 2X DVD-Rs from www.cdrdvdrmedia.com and I was wondering who exactly made them. Is there a utility that will show where they came from like there is for CDRs?

Thanks,
Mike
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby boblx2 on Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:11 pm

I don't know of a utility but the only good ones I have ever used were made by TDK and they were 2X. TDK was stamped on the hub. Recently I orderd the same media but I received some that were white in color and no "TDK" stamped on them. There were of course useless! I returned them. I then orderd some more from another place that swore they were TDK 2X and had "TDK" stamped on the hub. I got them today, you guessed it, no "TDK" stamped on the hub or the cake box. However they do look like TDK they are that shiny mirror finish on the top. The first 2 I used seemed okay. I am worried though, neither of them have been played all the way through on a stand alone player. We burned them on a Sony DRU-500 and they seemed ot work.

I too would like to kow of a utility to check the maker of these discs. I never have heard of one though........
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Postby mike_s104 on Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:11 pm

Well, whoever makes these, they did well. I have made about 15 out of the 25 I ordered for data and they all burned at 2X and can be read in all of my DVD-ROM drives. I have burnt only data to them using Nero 5.5.9.17 with my Sony DRU-500A. I have not tried them in my Pioneer stand alone player since I have not made any video DVDs yet with them.

As I stated before, I got them fom www.cdrdvdrmedia.com. They were $41 for 25. They have no name on them and a white shiney top. They are 2X.
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby boblx2 on Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:01 pm

mike, I have used several of those discs now and they appear to work okay. I don't really care if they are TDK as long as they work. However they do not work with DVD Decryptor and my A05. But they work great with my Sony drive. I have played several of them all the way through and there are no problems with them. It sounds like we have the same discs.

Thanks for the reply.........
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers