Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How to use wireless router?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

How to use wireless router?

Postby bfriedel on Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:31 am

Hello. I have a desktop in my home with a cable modem. I would like to connect to a laptop in my office which is 150 away. I have no idea what I would need to purchase to do this. Both my computers use XP and the laptop is just a month old and has everything but a wireless router. Is there anyone who could help? Thank you in advance!
bfriedel
Buffer Underrun

Postby Rudy on Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:09 am

I think it is better than every component of a wireless network be of the same brand to minimize incompatibilities.

The components are cable modem, wireless router to connect to the cable modem, wireless card in your laptop, if it does not have it already built-in.

I prefer Linksys brand name myself but it is your decision.

Chose the speed of your wireless network standard:

http://www.linksys.com/products/wirelessstandards.asp

If your laptop already has a G wireless card built-in then chose G wireless router. Otherwise B standard is good enough I think.

The connection from the cable modem to the desktop could USB or ETHERNET. Buy the wireless router with both USB and ETHERNET connections. I prefer to use the ethernet connection.

Buy the Wireless Broadband router and follow installation instructions. You will connect it to the cable model and from the wireless router to the desktop. Next you will configure the router. Linksys cd-rom does this automatically.

Buy a wireless card for your laptop if it does not have one built-in. You will need to install and configure the laptop wireless card to communicate with your router.

Good luck
Rudy
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion