Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Invalid Serial Number after installing Nero 6.6 ?!!?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby CCampbell on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:06 pm

ruderacer wrote:Craig,

I just applied what you instructed and it worked. Once again, thanks.

Great! :D

Glad I was able to help.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby SA on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:13 pm

I sent my email to tech support on Oct. 25th and still have no reply and saw no fix on the website. Anyone else have a better response from Nero yet ?

I did go back to 6.3 and my serial number works fine.
Intel P4, 2.4Ghz
MSI NE0 865PE
1GB RAM
Memorex 52X CD-RW
NEC 3500A DVD-RW
Hitachi 160GB SATA
Maxtor 80GB in USB enclosure
ATI 9600 AIW
SA
Buffer Underrun

Postby Sgt.Torg on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:29 pm

I've sent a web support request and 3 e-mail messages with no reply. I expected this to be resolved a long time ago.

Edit: My initial web support request was sent Tuesday, Oct. 26. I got an automated receipt confirmation.

I'm very disappointed with Ahead tech support and their handling of this issue. I know I can revert back to the previous version or run in demo mode, but I shouldn't have to.
Sgt.Torg
Sgt.Torg
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:54 pm

We are a little behind on Emails. We are currently on a 5 working day response time.

You can install Nero 6.6.01 and still be fully functional in Demo mode. Our Sales or Tech team will respond back to your EMail before the Demo period expires.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby SA on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:09 pm

Actually my Demo mode would run, but when I went to burn, I got an odd error about InCD already running. But it was not running. I tried reinstalling, but that didn't change anything. So I just went back to 6.3.
Intel P4, 2.4Ghz
MSI NE0 865PE
1GB RAM
Memorex 52X CD-RW
NEC 3500A DVD-RW
Hitachi 160GB SATA
ATI 9600 AIW
SA
Buffer Underrun

Postby aggravated on Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:55 pm

CCampbell wrote:Looks like this is a bug in our Nero 6.6 software. This is being worked on now, and before long we will have a new version posted to resolve this issue.

In the meantime, we do have the list of serial keys that are valid, but will be reported as Invalid by our Nero 6.6 software, and our Tech's have been made aware of this issue.

If you encounter this problem, send an Email to Techsupport@nero.com and provide your Name, Email address, and Serial key. They will confirm its valid and on the list, and respond back with a new Nero 6.6 Serial key.

We have a 5 working day response time, but you will be able to use Nero 6.6 in Demo mode till you get a response from our Tech Support team.

Yeah, sure. Here it is November 8, and no update has been posted. By the phrase "before long", were you speaking in astronomical or geological terms, perhaps?

Ahead is putting the onus on customers to get a resolution. That's not only wrong, it means that Ahead is violating its own software license agreement in some cases, such as mine. (I was locked out of my paid-for copy of Nero for several days, without even a working demo. I'm pretty sure the license says that I'm allowed to use one copy of the software, not zero copies.)

I guess Ahead decided that not enough customers were affected to handle this issue the right way. "Hey, it's just a handful of them, screw them, let them come to us!"

Nice.
aggravated
Buffer Underrun

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:19 am

I don't think there is a need to take such a harsh tone. Craig has been more than helpful on many occasions to help on major and minor issues.

I can tell you working in the software industry that some minor issues may actually be pretty complex to resolve underneath.

Is it not possible for you to install an earlier copy of Nero for use?

aggravated wrote:
CCampbell wrote:Looks like this is a bug in our Nero 6.6 software. This is being worked on now, and before long we will have a new version posted to resolve this issue.

In the meantime, we do have the list of serial keys that are valid, but will be reported as Invalid by our Nero 6.6 software, and our Tech's have been made aware of this issue.

If you encounter this problem, send an Email to Techsupport@nero.com and provide your Name, Email address, and Serial key. They will confirm its valid and on the list, and respond back with a new Nero 6.6 Serial key.

We have a 5 working day response time, but you will be able to use Nero 6.6 in Demo mode till you get a response from our Tech Support team.

Yeah, sure. Here it is November 8, and no update has been posted. By the phrase "before long", were you speaking in astronomical or geological terms, perhaps?

Ahead is putting the onus on customers to get a resolution. That's not only wrong, it means that Ahead is violating its own software license agreement in some cases, such as mine. (I was locked out of my paid-for copy of Nero for several days, without even a working demo. I'm pretty sure the license says that I'm allowed to use one copy of the software, not zero copies.)

I guess Ahead decided that not enough customers were affected to handle this issue the right way. "Hey, it's just a handful of them, screw them, let them come to us!"

Nice.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby aggravated on Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:04 am

UALOneKPlus wrote:I don't think there is a need to take such a harsh tone. Craig has been more than helpful on many occasions to help on major and minor issues.

I can tell you working in the software industry that some minor issues may actually be pretty complex to resolve underneath.

Is it not possible for you to install an earlier copy of Nero for use?

Yes, there is a need, and that need came about from (A) Encountering the problem in the first place; (B) Being livid after being ignored by Ahead "tech support"; and (C) Not being able to use my upgraded software at all.

I don't know Craig from Adam, and my comments were not directed at him personally.

I work in the software industry as well, and I can tell you that our customers would never get this kind of treatment. Even if a solution could not be provided right away, we would have at least admitted that there was an issue, instead of violating our own license agreements, and in effect giving our paying customers two big middle fingers.

I am now able to use Nero. At the time, I Googled for an illicit reg code, and that worked fine, until Ahead USA sales felt like getting back to me with a valid, working one.

I shouldn't have had to screw around with uninstalling the update, and installing a prior version. First of all, reconfiguring is a hassle. Secondly, I just shouldn't have to do it, to get them to honor our license agreement. Third, I wasn't inclined to do that, since I figured that five minutes after I installed an old version, they'd finally get back to me and let me back into the current version.
aggravated
Buffer Underrun

Postby SA on Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:49 pm

I got my reply from Nero today. Seems like there was no stolen serial numbers, just a program fluke. It took two weeks (10/25 - 11/8) to get this reply, but it is a solution.

"Thank you for your email and for your interest in our product. This comes due to an error within our new version of Nero. Please find enlcosed a new serial number which has to be used instead of your old one. Please excuse any inconvenience!"
Intel P4, 2.4Ghz
MSI NE0 865PE
1GB RAM
Memorex 52X CD-RW
NEC 3500A DVD-RW
Hitachi 160GB SATA
ATI 9600 AIW
SA
Buffer Underrun

where is my money going then?

Postby superdave on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:09 pm

WHERE in the world is my money going to. I PAID for Nero, I want to use Nero. I E-mailed last weekend, and have heard NOTHING. I PAID MONEY. Why is there NO way AT ALL to get ahold of NERO to just get a new serial? Well, I take that back. For 1.25 PER MINUTE? WTF. I already paid. Give me what I paid for.
The company that I work for just made a major decision today. They DUMPED a company that have used for 5 straight years (software company) because there is a "issue" with their upgraded software (which we were forced to upgrade to in order to use our new system). We have been waiting ONE week for a resolution. We cant afford to WAIT for a resolution.
Here is an idea TEST YOU CRAP BEFORE YOU GIVE IT TO PEOPLE, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, when you do see an issue, STOP GIVING IT TO PEOPLE. At least until you solve the problem.

:^o :^o pants on fire.
AMD 64 3400+ (2.23 Ghz)
DUAL Seagate Barracuda 160's (RAID 0)
Lite On DVD/RW, Lite On DVD/CD-RW
1 GB HyperX RAM
Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Thermaltake Silent Power 480 TRUE
Radeon 9700 Pro (OC'd)

**CyberJocks Rule!!
superdave
Buffer Underrun

Postby ramlin on Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:33 pm

...........OK, I'm a bit confused here, so I wonder if anyone can help a newbie simpleton like me;)
I already have Nero Express 5.5X OEM version installed on my computer -- it came with my assus cd writer. I would now like to upgrade that program to Nero Reloaded 6.6. In order to do this do I purchase the upgrade seriel number, download the program and either (a) install or (b) should I first remove my Nero Express 5.5 OEM before installing?. If I go for option (a), what happened to my Nero Express OEM - do I then need to uninstall or if I go for option (b) how does the upgraded Nero 6.6 "know" that I had a previous version of Nero on my computer. Please note that I never registered my nero express with ahead.
One last question. If I go direct to the www.nero.com web site the upgrade costs me $39.99, if I go to the European site the upgrade costs Euro 39.99. I live neither in the US or Europe - and I certainly would prefer to pay the $39.99 price - is there any problem in doing this? Are there any differences between the US and European Nero and will the US upgrade version not work since my computer is not physically located in the US.

Many thanks,
"There was never a time when I did not exist, nor you. Nor will there be any future in which we shall cease to be."
ramlin
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:28 pm

ramlin wrote:...........OK, I'm a bit confused here, so I wonder if anyone can help a newbie simpleton like me;)
I already have Nero Express 5.5X OEM version installed on my computer -- it came with my assus cd writer. I would now like to upgrade that program to Nero Reloaded 6.6. In order to do this do I purchase the upgrade seriel number, download the program and either (a) install or (b) should I first remove my Nero Express 5.5 OEM before installing?. If I go for option (a), what happened to my Nero Express OEM - do I then need to uninstall or if I go for option (b) how does the upgraded Nero 6.6 "know" that I had a previous version of Nero on my computer. Please note that I never registered my nero express with ahead.
One last question. If I go direct to the www.nero.com web site the upgrade costs me $39.99, if I go to the European site the upgrade costs Euro 39.99. I live neither in the US or Europe - and I certainly would prefer to pay the $39.99 price - is there any problem in doing this? Are there any differences between the US and European Nero and will the US upgrade version not work since my computer is not physically located in the US.

Many thanks,

To make it simple, Just purchase the Upgrade Serial Key for $39.99

I would recommend that you unninstall Nero 5.5 from your system first, you can use a clean tool provided on Nero's website under Support->Utilities

The US version comes with NeroMix, which is a program similar to Windows Media Player. The European version does not come with NeroMix. That's the main difference.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:28 pm

i purchased a Nero 6 key (upgrade) from ahead's website.

how can i tell if i have the "US" version or the "European" version ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby ramlin on Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:14 am

To make it simple, Just purchase the Upgrade Serial Key for $39.99

I would recommend that you unninstall Nero 5.5 from your system first, you can use a clean tool provided on Nero's website under Support->Utilities

The US version comes with NeroMix, which is a program similar to Windows Media Player. The European version does not come with NeroMix. That's the main difference.

Regards,

Craig

Craig, thank you very much for your answer - it's much appreciated.

Dodecahedron, out of interest, did you pay in Euros or dollars? (in my last post I said the cost of the upgrade is Euro 39.99 - I was wrong it is Euro 34.99 (ie about NIS 200) whereas the upgrade from the US site is $39.99 (ie NIS175))
"There was never a time when I did not exist, nor you. Nor will there be any future in which we shall cease to be."
ramlin
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:18 am

i paid in $US.
i don't remember if it was a US site or European (de) site, i don't think there was a distinction back then (July 2003) but i may be wrong.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby HardwareHarry on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:29 pm

I want to give it some positive feedback about Ahead, when I upgraded my OEM version to Retail way back, I did go to the Online page(.de) wich standard under English started up in $, was $ 39.99 (but the rate, when getting the final administration of the CreditCard for the payment was about € 35. Now I see on the German Online-shop that in € the serial + download costs €34.99 so its for me equal) I had the Nero Media Player included, but wanted after all more, so I did purchase the NEROMix a few days later with its own serial for $ 22.-( by completion at the rate $>€, I payed something about €19.- Now I see that the price of NeroMix is officially €22.- so for me this tiny differences are no problem)

I did search for good burning software in my own language(dutch), and NERO is the one for me!

I see on the U.S. page of NERO-Online that the price is $ 49.99 but with NeroMix included, so I see it in price value of not extreme difference, and I have experienced nice features in NeroMix the past time !
So I would advise future buyers to get the US version.

In difference to Cyberlink, Intervideo etc... they all ask money for an Upgrade, Ahead gives us Free Upgrades, unless there is a major Upgrade approx. once a year !
So I am not angry too fast, while there is a complicated situation at Ahead,
once I had problems with the old version, I had a month correspondence
with a TechSupport's person and he helped me nice thru the problem, ok
finally it was a bug in the update, yes, where people work...etc.
Someone can say for me a month e-mailing is too much, well I could have
made a mistake too !

Harry
HardwareHarry
CD-RW Player

HERE IS SERIAL FOR 6.6

Postby avlipa on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:23 am

hehehe
avlipa
Buffer Underrun

Previous

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)