Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Japanese DVD Disc Makers May Release OEM Orders To Taiwan

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Japanese DVD Disc Makers May Release OEM Orders To Taiwan

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:23 am

Regarding the new item: Japanese DVD Disc Makers May Release OEM Orders To Taiwan. Originally posted at Digitimes:
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20050914A7032.html

Leading producers of DVD discs in Japan, including Maxell, TDK and Mitsubishi Chemical, are under pressure to cut costs and will sooner or later outsource production to OEM makers in Taiwan and India-based MBI, according to the Japanese Nikkei News.

These Japanese makers are moving toward production of next-generation blue-laser discs, the source indicated. The OEM orders will most likely be for 16x DVD+R/-R and DVD+R/-R DL discs and be outsourced to leading makers in Taiwan including CMC Magnetics and Ritek, Taiwanese makers of optical discs pointed out.

It is uncertain, however, whether these orders from Japan will trigger a price war among Taiwanese competitors and MBI, thereby causing fluctuations in OEM prices of DVD discs, the makers warned.

Wow!!! So does that mean that Maxell might start OEM'ing to Ritek, and that TDK might start OEM'ing to Ritek and CMC, and that Verbatim media might start being made by CMC, Prodisc and MBIL?!?!

Nah, that'll NEVER happen!
[end sarcasm]

Seriously though.... how many years late is this announcement? why did they even bother? :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:31 am

Well.. Maxell and TDK have been rebadging other companies discs for as long as I can remember. I don't think I've seen a TDK disc with a TDK MID in years. Actually outsourcing production of their own discs.. that's a different story.

In MCC/Verbatim's case.. they've been outsourcing production for awhile. CMC manufactured discs with MCC MID's are fairly common these days.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:23 pm

Ian wrote:Well.. Maxell and TDK have been rebadging other companies discs for as long as I can remember. I don't think I've seen a TDK disc with a TDK MID in years. Actually outsourcing production of their own discs.. that's a different story.

In MCC/Verbatim's case.. they've been outsourcing production for awhile. CMC manufactured discs with MCC MID's are fairly common these days.

If outsourcing MID codes is what they're meaning then it's slightly less silly to announce it...

Regarding Verbatim, it's nearly impossible to find 8x or 16x media actually made by MCC, so for them it's silly to announce this now. Better late then never maybe?

For TDK, they are DEFFINATELY outsourcing MID codes, and have been for some time now. I know at least that MAM-A/E is making media for them. So again, it's a silly thing for them to announce NOW.

Regarding Maxell.... officially this isn't the case.... unofficially, when I met with the heads of Maxell Canada a couple months ago this was one of the things I mentioned to them to start doing, in the hopes of gaining better control over the quality of the product released under their name (better drive support, and they will be more inclined to pay attention to their OEM quality). Of course I also told them to stop OEM'ing to Ritek :wink:

Actually, if you want to be 100% picky, we already know that Maxell has outsourced DVD-RAM to Optodisc (there was an announcement about this when Optodisc was accused of making fake Maxell media previously), at least on occasion, and since no one has ever reported or seen an Optodisc code Maxell brand DVD-RAM disc, it is possible that Optodisc is making Maxell code DVD-RAM.

So in the end I'm still wondering why they announce this *NOW* and not many months or even years ago?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:58 pm

CMC has been making TDK DVD-Rs with TDK media codes since the 4x days. I'm with you guys, I don't know what the deal with this announcement is.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Re: Japanese DVD Disc Makers May Release OEM Orders To Taiwa

Postby frank1 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:44 am

. . . .
So does that mean ..
that Maxell might start OEM'ing to Ritek,
and that TDK might start OEM'ing to Ritek and CMC,
and that Verbatim media might start being made by CMC, Prodisc and MBIL?!?!

So now people have told more or less what has happened with Verbatim branded DVD's. But there was still not said anything precise about the differences between the 2x-4X era and the 8x-16x era ....

There are others manufactures in Japan like:
Maxell, TDK, Fuji and Sony ...

So for example what is the situation like in the TDK brand ?
Here I have a list of at least 13 different MID codes that I have been able to find under the brand TDK:
So could you experts give an indication
about where all these 13 MID's have been manufactured ?

before ...

DVD-R 2x:
"TDK-G02-00...."
DVD-R 4x:
"TYG01" , "TTG01"
DVD+R 4x:
"RICOHJPN-R01-002", "TDK-001" , "CMC MAG F01"

at the moment ...

DVD-R 8x:
"TTG02" , "TTH01"
DVD+R 8x:
"RICOHJPN-RO2" , "TDK-002" , "MBIPG101R04"

DVD-R 16x: "TTH02"
DVD+R 16x: "TDK-003"

Edit: I only like to know under the MID's in the "genuine" TDK label
Last edited by frank1 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:58 am

frank1 wrote:
So for example what is the situation like in the TDK brand ?
Here I have a list of at least 13 different MID codes that I have been able to find under the brand TDK:
So could you experts give an indication
about where all these 13 MID's have been manufactured ?

before ...

DVD-R 2x:
"TDK-G02-00...."
DVD-R 4x:
"TYG01" , "TTG01"
DVD+R 4x:
"RICOHJPN-R01-002", "TDK-001" , "CMC MAG F01"

at the moment ...

DVD-R 8x:
"TTG02" , "TTH01"
DVD+R 8x:
"RICOHJPN-RO2" , "TDK-002" , "MBIPG101R04"

DVD-R 16x: "TTH02"
DVD+R 16x: "TDK-003"

The TTxx media codes are all TDK's own, along with the TDKxxx codes. It is possible to find TTG01, TTG02, TDK001 and TTH02 made in Japan, but mostly TTG01, and TTG02 are made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics, with TDK equipment and to TDK's standards. TTH01 is only made in Europe as far as I know, along with a good bit of TDK001, TDK002, TDK003 and TTH02 (though TTH02 can also be made in Taiwan by CMC). As for the non-TDK MIDs, TYG01 and TYG02 are made exclusively in Japan by Taiyo Yuden, all Ricoh media is made in Taiwan by Ritek (to Ricoh's standards), CMC is made by CMC Magnetics in Taiwan, and MBI is made by Moser Baer India, Ltd. in India.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:01 am

Gen-An wrote:
The TTxx media codes are all TDK's own, along with the TDKxxx codes. It is possible to find TTG01, TTG02, TDK001 and TTH02 made in Japan, but mostly TTG01, and TTG02 are made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics, with TDK equipment and to TDK's standards. TTH01 is only made in Europe as far as I know, along with a good bit of TDK001, TDK002, TDK003 and TTH02 (though TTH02 can also be made in Taiwan by CMC). As for the non-TDK MIDs, TYG01 and TYG02 are made exclusively in Japan by Taiyo Yuden, all Ricoh media is made in Taiwan by Ritek (to Ricoh's standards), CMC is made by CMC Magnetics in Taiwan, and MBI is made by Moser Baer India, Ltd. in India.

TTH02 and TTG02 can also be made by MAM-A/MAM-E.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby frank1 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:44 am

Thanks a lot for your replies !
I put a modification in my post:
Edit: I only like to know among the MID's in the "genuine" TDK label
because if you do not stick to TDK branded
the situation becomes very complicated ..

So among other things I noticed this:
the genuine grey Scratchproof TTH01 code in only "Made in Luxembourg"
(so I except the label MAM-E which is not grey either ScratchProof),
it that true ?

Oy maybe MAM-E in Ensisheim (Alsace) manufactures sometimes some TTH01
and they get painted in the grey TDK ScratchProof ??

------------------------------------
Note: the distance between the MAM-E factory in Ensisheim (Alsace) and the TDK factory in Basharage (Luxembourg) is only about 300 km ...
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:22 pm

I don't know about TDK Scratch Proof....

I just know that all TDK media that says "Made in France" is made by MAM-E.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:17 pm

Scratchproof goes much further as painting.

And I have to say I never have seen a TDK DVD recordable that states made in france.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers