Esquire
Buffer Underrun

Postby Esquire on Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:28 pm

optorite u still around?
Esquire
Buffer Underrun

Sucks!

Postby chubz9 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:59 pm

I was so excited to receive this drive. Ordered it from AccuPC cause Ateck doesn't look that good as a store for me, even though i live in california, i took it from AcuuPC, $199 plus tax, total $214.42. Got disappointed when it got delivered. First, upon opening the box, the quality of the drive is so cheap, the DVD-RW and DVD+RW logos are painted on the surface, and the logos don't actually look like the authentic logos, which makes it even more cheap looking. when i held the box, and turned it upside down, i heard a rattle inside, which seems to be the tray. i tried to shake the drive, and i continued to hear the rattling sound (cheap, again!). The retail box is not sealed with a tamper-evident sticker, so your only way to find out if you really got a brand new drive is with the plastic wrap of the drive, which is sealed with a regular scotch tape. Okay, now, when i installed the drive (yes, im just about to install it and i already found a lot of flaws in it), i inserted a CD, and i thought a helicopter is about to drop on my room... it was so loud when it read the cd... made too much noise. on dvd's, it doesnt make that much noise, but on cd, it does. tried to test the HD-BURN feature, it made a coaster out of my first Fuji 48x media, then i tried Imation 48X media too, but it failed. I was able to make one successful HD-Burn CD using Fuji 48X media, but the optorite drive was not able to read it at all. Opened up Nero InfoTool to see what firmware version is in the drive, and i saw it is 2.03, the latest on www.optorite.com is 2.06, then i saw in InfoTool that the drive has 4MB buffer, where in fact on the retail box and on their website, it says 8MB. contacted optorite about it, and they told me that the drive has 8MB in it, but right now the firmware is currently using 4MB and the drive will use 8MB with future firmware upgrades. I can't believe that. I returned it for a refund. even for $200, it is not worth to keep it. I don't know how the other people found its quality to be fine, but for me, I am very picky, and i want the best drive all the time. I am so used to plextor quality, that's why. And even the other drives are more expensive, i would rather spend my money for those instead of this drive. I think they would still improve cause they just started October 2001. Look closely at the logos on the drive tray, even on their pictures, the logos look weird. the +RW logo is so thin, and stretched vertically, it looks unprofessional really. Not a big deal for most probably, but i always want my pc to look professional all the time. Right now, im looking at the Sony DRU-510A which has 4X DVD+RW rewrite, and 16X cd-rewrite. or the Pioneer DVR-A06. I would recommend you to look for something else... i don't know, but this drive disappointed me a lot. Poor Build quality, noisy drive, total buffer as advertised is not used, flimsy tray, HD-BURN coasters, Poor eject button, wow... Good luck.
gOoDlUcK! :)

cHuBz!
chubz9
CD-RW Thug

Postby overfiend on Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:31 pm

yea i know what you mean. That was my outlook of the drive when i first received it as well. But I had experience w/ a sanyo based drive already so got accustomed to them being that way (sony 1621 16x dvdrom = sanyo). Exact same thing. Loud and when tilted side to side it's almost like there's sand inside :). The eject button sometimes feels like it's stuck and i have to push hard to get it. But that went away now. guess it needed to be broken-in. Weird. I am not a big fan of optorite since i bought the drive but i can honestly say that this drive has performed beautifully now that 'WE' the consumers have figured it out 'no thx to optorite'. The 2.03 firmware had some flaws ie: burning disks at max speed when it's not supposed to. But now all my burns, dvd and HD, are perfect. I especially like being able to rip dvds at full speed w/ this drive unlike the pioneer and sony being capped at 2-4x. I too do not trust them about the 8meg cache. I'll believe it when I see it. 2.07 firmware still indicates 4meg. I wish someone who is great w/ electronics would open the drive up and test the actual flash rom to enlighten all of us. I've burned close to 100 dvds already and 20 hdburn disks and only had 1 +dvd coaster cuz it burned a 2.4x +r at 4x w/ 2.03 firmware. Had bad results w/ LeadData -r. Software refuses to finalize the disks so it won't work on some standalones. Just my 2cents.

pros:
rips max at 12.3x (pressed media) and does a good job at it
burns +dvds beautifully
burns branded -dvds beautifully
hdburn works now since we figured out what disks works and works great

cons:
4 MEG BUFFER STILL
no 'booktype' change to dvdrom
capped rip at 4x (burned dvds as indicated on box) probably for the better
yes it's loud for cd
need better media support for bulk -R's
need better media support for HDburn
If you're lucky optorite might respond to your email

overfiend
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

Nice!

Postby chubz9 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:25 pm

well, that's good to hear... well, I am very happy for you that you like the drive, or should i say, "will be glad to have it eventually"... i did not try using it for ripping dvd's, cause i don't have it now. whew! man... i don't know... i first saw it at PCWorld article, side by side with the Plextor Premium drive. I thought it is absolutely awesome to have 1.4GB on a CD-R at 24X speed with BURN-Proof... that's sweet, so i immediately went on and searched for the best deal online. Until now, (well, after 4 days of returning it) i still feel like if it was only a little better, i could have kept it... i just got so mad that optorite never mentioned the drive would initially have 4MB, just to let people know about it. I thought AccuPC's description on their website was their fault, and i trusted optorite's website better cause they manufactured the drive... well, i was wrong... whew.

Well, if it gets better, i might get it someday too, but for now, i'm still looking for something else. I know for sure its price won't go up (hopefully).

Well... tell us more about your experience with it. :) later -

cHuBz!
chubz9
CD-RW Thug

Postby lgmayka on Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:19 pm

Is it possible and reasonably safe to flash the Optorite DD0203 while it is in a USB 2.0 external enclosure?
lgmayka
CD-RW Thug

Postby lgmayka on Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:28 pm

Also, is there any reasonable hope that Optorite will add Mt. Rainier read/write support in a future firmware update?
lgmayka
CD-RW Thug

Postby overfiend on Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:16 am

ah that's one i forgot to throw into the cons list. If not, then it looks like i'll have to buy yet another dvdburner to support the new OS :(

We all have to cross our fingers
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:31 am

overfiend wrote:...But I had experience w/ a sanyo based drive already so got accustomed to them being that way (sony 1621 16x dvdrom = sanyo).

Sorry to butt in, but the Sony DDU-1621 is an OEM BTC, not a Sanyo... BTC drives are pretty flimsy from my experiences with them as well.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby overfiend on Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:06 am

hmm.....I knew it was BTC but always thought it was sanyo based drive. Remembered from firmware forum posts long ago. My memory is slippin at my old age so my apologies if I'm mistaken. Maybe it's cause the sanyo model # and the BTC dvdrom model #'s seem so similar. I might have to do a search on my old sony drive again to be sure. But i know for sure the sony dvdrom had that same shift of weight sandy thingy in the drive and playback was loud as hell too. Especially with dual-layer dvds.
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

hmmm

Postby chubz9 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:16 pm

I sent my last email to optorite before i returned my drive, and in fairness, they replied all my emails... a total of 3 i think... not that quick on my last email, but at least they still replied... Here's all my emails to them and their replies, just thought it might help anyone.

Email1: June 16, 2003
"Hi,

I just received the drive that I ordered last Friday, June 13, 2003, and I installed it. It only has 4MB of buffer, whereas it should have 8MB buffer, according to the specs on www.optorite.com, I don't know what version of the drive is this, and it is clearly stated on the drive that it is in fact dd0203 drive, but I don’t know what happened here. The Box and the website clearly states that it should have 8MB of buffer.

I think I did not get the product that I ordered correctly. I want to return it for a full refund, or if you have the correct drive, I would accept an exchange, but I don’t think it would be fair if I would be charged for restocking fees in case you don’t have the current version of the drive.

Please let me know, thank you."

Reply1: June 17, 2003
"Hi Donn,

There are 8MB buffer memory on the hardware. But the current firmware is using 4MB. That is why the software only reports 4MB. In the future firmware release, it will be modified to take full advantage of the 8MB. There is nothing wrong with the drive nor the specs.

Best regards,
OptoRite Sales"

Email2: June 17, 2003
"Hi, thanks for those quick replies... just more questions though... im sorry.

I installed my drive already, primarily to test on how it performs... I tried utilizing the HD-BURN feature, but it just gave me a "track following error" and the blank cd remains empty... I am using the latest firmware of the drive (2.06), and also am using the latest nero version (5.5.10.35). My blank CD-R media is an Imation 48X, and a Fuji 48X. is this normal? or do you have any idea what might be causing this? thank you.

Thanks,"

Reply2: June 18, 2003
"Hi Donn,

Currently HD-BURN works on some certain media. We get good results with the Taiyo Yuden media which is usually sold under the Fuji brand name. But it seems like you still have problem with your Fuji 48x media. Is it possible you could find out the code for the Fuji 48x CD-R media? If you have Nero Burning Rom installed, there is a program called Nero CD Speed. Go into this program, select the DD0203 drive, click on "Extra", "Disc info", please copy down all the info and email it to us. If you see "Taiyo Yuden", "972401", "795972", you shouldn't have problem using HD-BURN. Please try another 1 or 2 media to see if you have the same problem. Please also make sure you have the latest firmware update from our website.

I am attaching a copy of the Nero Cd Speed just in case you don't have it.

Best regards,
OptoRite Sales"

Email3: June 18, 2003
"hi,

okay, I had a successful burn on a fuji 48x media that I tried... but, after the burn, I tried to access the cd, but it was not recognized, even if I put it on the dd0203 drive. is there a special software for me to be able to access the cd? thanks."

Reply3: June 24, 2003
"Hi Donn,

There is no special software required to access the CD. You should be able to stick it in the DD0203 drive and read all the files from it. (Note, this media will not work in any other drives)

Are you using the BHA B's Recorder Gold software that came with the drive? If so, there should be a new update on their website www.bhacorp.com posted tomorrow. Version 5.30. Give it a try and see if you still have the same problem.

Best regards,
OptoRite Sales"

There you go... but unfortunately, i was not able to test the new update on the website provided, because i don't have the drive anymore, and i have heard a lot of "bad stuff" about GOLD5 software... whew... actually, upon checking the website, (and it's a different URL compared to the link written on the B's CD), the update is actually version 5.32.

cHuBz!
chubz9
CD-RW Thug

Postby atrac on Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:09 pm

I purchased this drive and have found that the eject button is horrendous. I have to push it very hard to get the tray to eject. I have tried "working it" a bit to see if it would loosen up, but it still is awful. I forsee a blister in the very near future.

Should I exchange it or does everyone else have a faulty eject button as well?
atrac
Buffer Underrun

same here

Postby chubz9 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:43 pm

i've had the same problem with the drive, but not anymore... cause i returned it already, lol... yeah... it's build quality is really poor...

the eject button is like that for all optorite models, so... it's up to you to return it or keep it.... i did what i think is the best thing to do, which is use my money to purchase something else... there's still a lot of room for this drive's improvement.

cHuBz!
chubz9
CD-RW Thug

Re: same here

Postby Telstar on Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:41 pm

chubz9 wrote:i've had the same problem with the drive, but not anymore... cause i returned it already, lol... yeah... it's build quality is really poor...

If I'm not mistaken, you didn't seem to burn one DVD disc while you had this burner from your first post, yet you continue criticizing the build quality of the burner in your subsequent posts. I, like most people who buy a DVD burner, am more interested in the burn quality and compatibility of DVD discs using this burner. If there is something else you could contribute, please let us know.
Telstar
CD-RW Thug

Postby Esquire on Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:57 pm

hey a negetive review is as informative as a positive...

telstar put the bat down....
Esquire
Buffer Underrun

Thanks, Esquire

Postby chubz9 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:34 pm

Thank you Esquire, but i would answer it anyway, since it was posted already.

Well, i did burn at least 5 dvds from Optorite Burner, and yes, it burned fine, no question about that, and i did not complain on dvd burns cause i never had problems with it. i didnt realize i should also give information on its positive side (forgot about it cause it has lots of negative, lol).

Well, one of the main reason, at least for me too, is to have a nice dvd burner, but no matter how cheap the product is, that does not mean it's okay if it's other promised features doesnt work at all. That's my main argument about this drive. first is the buffer, no mention of anything that initial shipments would have 4MB. although it does not affect the burn quality of the drive, it makes me feel i did not get what i deserve in buying that drive. another thing is the HD-BURN feature, which is used on CD's and not DVD's, and still, that was another factor of my decision to pick this drive, then upon testing, it doesnt work... and they are telling me that the HD-BURN would improve eventually... sheeesh... i did not spend my money just to wait for them to make the drive work perfectly.

I don't know, if you are happy with the drive, well, congratulations, because u just had the best, if not one of the best deals on dvd writer as of today. But for me, as i said, i was not 100% satisfied with it, so why keep it? If i don't mind spending a little more for better drives, i don't see a problem with that.

Thanks for reading all my posts on this thread, i just wanted to share my experience with the drive, that's all.

cHuBz!
chubz9
CD-RW Thug

B's Recorder Gold Update.

Postby noypi2000 on Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:01 pm

Just to let people know, B's recorder gold5 update is posted in BHA's website. Here the link http://www.bhacorp.com/updater/GOLD5/GUP532EN.EXE

I downloaded the B's Recorder Gold5 update and now I can do HD-Burn successfully on my drive in a firewire enclosure. Using Nero I always get an error when I try to do HD-Burn. I e-mailed Nero and they told me not to use the firewire enclosure. This goes to show that they need improvements in their software since B's can do HD-Burn while my drive is in the firewire enclosure.
noypi2000
Buffer Underrun

Postby Esquire on Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:48 pm

any update to hb burn, on once bonk media?
Esquire
Buffer Underrun

Postby jhutner149n on Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:35 am

overfiend wrote: I especially like being able to rip dvds at full speed w/ this drive unlike the pioneer and sony being capped at 2-4x.
pros:
rips max at 12.3x (pressed media) and does a good job at it

overfiend

Overfiend, I'm having problems getting mine to rip at full speed on Fuji media. I'm pretty sure its an issue caused by either the program I'm using or the way I'm doing it.

If you would, what program(s) are you using to rip? This is my first dvd burner and I tried using DVDXCopy.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide! :D
jhutner149n
Buffer Underrun

Postby noypi2000 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:23 pm

Memorex cdr (made by CMC) still won't work with HD-Burn just to let everybody know. Maxell (Ritek) works fine. Optodisc dvd-r's work fine. Burnt a movie and no problems during playback.
noypi2000
Buffer Underrun

some updates....

Postby OptoRite on Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:30 pm

Here are the answers to your questions in the previous posts.

1. There is a new B's Recorder Gold update available now, v5.32, which enables the HD-BURN feature.

2. Yes you can flash back to the previous version of firmware.

3. F/w 2.09 will give you 8MB buffer memory. Don't try to open the drive because that will void your warranty. This version should be posted on our website sometimes next week

4. You cannot flash the firmware if it is connected externally (USB/1394)

5. This SANYO chipset does not support Mt. Rainier.
OptoRite
Buffer Underrun

Postby overfiend on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:09 pm

jhutner,

i mentioned it rips full speed w/ pressed dvds.

for ripping burned dvds it's capped at 4x. Says so on the optorite box.

overfiend
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

Postby noypi2000 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:00 pm

Optorite, I flashed my drive 3 times now and it is in a firewire enclosure. Are you saying with the new firmware you cannot flash the drive?
noypi2000
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spitwad on Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:37 pm

Hmm, i just burned 3 hdburn cd-r's in a row np, all 3 around 1200-1300 mb. I used nero and selected the HDBURN (UDF) format. I had no problem reading the discs after they were burnt. Using nero **.10.35 and 2.07 firmware.

O ya, I was using TDK 24x Data CD-R, 800mb
Serial: CD-R0CB100
Spitwad
Buffer Underrun

Postby chubz9 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:00 am

800MB TDK 24x?

cHuBz!
chubz9
CD-RW Thug

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Writers