Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LightScribe Enhances CD And DVD Labeling Quality

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

LightScribe Enhances CD And DVD Labeling Quality

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:41 pm

Has anyone tried the new version of LightScribe's system software? They've made some enhancements to improve the quality. It supposedly doesn't extend the printing time either.

http://www.lightscribe.com/files/news/p ... -05-07.pdf

LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling today announced enhancements that reduce graininess and improve fine detail reproduction for LightScribe's DVD / CD labeling. The stunning results are instantly visible on photos, graphics and text on LightScribe CDs and DVDs. The enhanced image quality is available immediately through a free upgrade of the LightScribe system software and requires no additional changes to customers' systems or new hardware and media. LightScribe customers will experience the image quality improvement when they update to the latest version of the LightScribe system software, available for download on www.lightscribe.com.

The LightScribe system software will also be preloaded on LightScribe-enabled personal computers and included with DVD writers. The new enhancements do not impact LightScribe labeling time and work with all LightScribe media -- CDs, DVDs, and color background CDs.

"Enhancing image quality demonstrates LightScribe's ongoing commitment to improving the customer experience," said Kent Henscheid, marketing manager for LightScribe. "With the new system software enhancements, customers can now burn LightScribe CDs and DVDs with even better results."

I posted a smaller picture on the front page but I figured I'd post the larger version here so people can see the difference.
Attachments
LightScribe Enhanced Image Quality.jpg
LightScribe Enhanced Image Quality.jpg (481.37 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm amazed they can change the quality so much without increasing the time taken to print the label! :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:55 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm amazed they can change the quality so much without increasing the time taken to print the label! :o

It'd be pretty hard to increase the time. This technology is so slow compared to inkjet printers- and monochrome at that. I'm continually amazed that it's found such great resonance.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:32 pm

I still know people who burn everything at 4x.... or in 1x stand alone recorders :o

Some people REALLY don't care about the length of time it takes to do things.

Lightscribe seems good for situations where you're making 1 or 2 copies only, and not often.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:36 am

I gave the system software a try and there are some slight, but noticeable improvements. Lines are sharper and in the solid black areas the "grooves" aren't as pronounced.

Here are a couple of examples. I'm not sure why one is lighter than the other. Both discs are just as dark.
Attachments
LightScribe CD-R Old.png
LightScribe CD-R Old.png (650.25 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
LightScribe CD-R New.png
LightScribe CD-R New.png (570.94 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hacker on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:24 pm

The is kind of dithering and color reduction algorithm.
Since there is only 2 colors will be used, a little change will make a big different.
I think it is better to change the photo into 2 colors before use on the disc.
Attachments
dither.jpg
dithering and reduction
dither.jpg (101.22 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
hacker
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:38 pm

I still need to get myself an Inkjet CD printer.

I'm not interested in the slow LightSribe time-frames and the puke colored graphics.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:53 am

Wesociety wrote:I still need to get myself an Inkjet CD printer.

I'm not interested in the slow LightSribe time-frames and the puke colored graphics.

It's only good for SOME applications... they certainly don't apply to everyone :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion