Home News Reviews Forums Shop


LightScribe LIves - Sort of . . .

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:02 am

I've just received word that Lightscribe DVD+R media is now available through LaCie in the US and will be available in Canada in a couple more weeks. The media is almost 100% certain to be Verbatim, which means that Verbatim America will be releasing it very soon to the public, followed by Canada a couple weeks after that.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby RJW on Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:32 am

Well even the smaller local stores seem to have some Verbatim and Imation cd-r media and some are supposed to get Verbatim DVD+R's next week. However I still have doubt that it actually will sell. Because of the to high prices.(Double of normal media ) But maybe there's a market after all MPO GOLD media is also expensive and so are the black FUJI PHOTO cd-r's.
Guess we will see how it goes over time.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:52 pm

RJW wrote:Well even the smaller local stores seem to have some Verbatim and Imation cd-r media and some are supposed to get Verbatim DVD+R's next week. However I still have doubt that it actually will sell. Because of the to high prices.(Double of normal media ) But maybe there's a market after all MPO GOLD media is also expensive and so are the black FUJI PHOTO cd-r's.
Guess we will see how it goes over time.


I agree, I think it's a dud. There will be SOME interest generated initially, because it's cool... but then the media costs will start coming into focus for more people, and the people with inkjet printers will start laughing at the people spending lot's and LOT'S of money on lightscribe media... and then it will simply die. That's my guess at least.

Maxell looks like they are about to join the lightscribe market however, I'm told I should receive more details in the next week or so, as to what their plans are.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby thegdog on Mon May 02, 2005 8:50 pm

Verbatim Lightscribe DVD+R media now available in quantity at Meritline:
http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-lightscribe-media-scribelight-dvd-r-light-scribe-dvdr-8x-95091.html

A little on the pricy side, even with the coupon. 30 pack for $47.90.
thegdog
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:38 am

Postby jberry on Tue May 03, 2005 9:34 am

I don't mean to be rude here (really don't.....) but why are people hung up with lightscribe? cost is too much...too slow..what is wrong with marker anyway.

Me I wish the manufacturers would just make 16x everything and be done with it.
jberry
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:48 pm

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue May 03, 2005 10:40 am

jberry wrote:I don't mean to be rude here (really don't.....) but why are people hung up with lightscribe? cost is too much...too slow..what is wrong with marker anyway.

Me I wish the manufacturers would just make 16x everything and be done with it.


With Blu-Ray and HDDVD so far off track and nothing new for the consumer front coming in the next 1-2 years minimum.... nope, it's not gonna happen. All the disc makers would go bankrupt if they did that now.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Ian on Tue May 03, 2005 11:45 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:With Blu-Ray and HDDVD so far off track and nothing new for the consumer front coming in the next 1-2 years minimum....


I know there's a lot of talk that BR/HD is gonna be the shit when it ships later this year, but IDC (research company) has projected that it will be 2010 before this new technology even amounts to a few percent of total DVD sales.

What do companies do in the mean time? Come up with stuff light LightScribe. :)

Seriously.. with H.264 there really isn't much of a reason to jump on the BR/HD bandwagon right away.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue May 03, 2005 12:58 pm

Ian wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:With Blu-Ray and HDDVD so far off track and nothing new for the consumer front coming in the next 1-2 years minimum....


I know there's a lot of talk that BR/HD is gonna be the shit when it ships later this year, but IDC (research company) has projected that it will be 2010 before this new technology even amounts to a few percent of total DVD sales.

What do companies do in the mean time? Come up with stuff light LightScribe. :)

Seriously.. with H.264 there really isn't much of a reason to jump on the BR/HD bandwagon right away.


By 2010 we will be seeing Holographic media and drives coming on to the market, so that's probably about when we can expect consumer level pricing on Blu-Ray and HDDVD... it would make sense.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby jberry on Tue May 03, 2005 1:08 pm

actually h.264 is neat......but it does not provide the space saving it touts. h.264 is supposed to be half the bandwidth as mpeg-2, but with the same quality. I have been encoding h.264 for months now for fun. no way do you get the same quality at half size. Not even mainconcept's version does this. AT best you get 3/4s the size for the same quality....I am not THAT impressed.

Only thing I am really interested in trying is DVD-r DL

I may try lightscribe if I get a futureshop deal...every once in a while you can get a great sale and great mail in rebate...I don't want to pay more than $50 for such a drive.
jberry
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:48 pm

Postby Ian on Tue May 03, 2005 1:47 pm

I think the price of LightScribe drives will come down this fall once companies other than HP(Lite-On) and BenQ start to make them.. that is if other companies decide to make them.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Previous

Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.