Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Lite-On Announces Three New 24x DVD Writers And LabelTag

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Lite-On Announces Three New 24x DVD Writers And LabelTag

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Lite-On has officially announced its new 24x DVD writers. The company plans to ship the iHAS324 (SATA) and iHAP424 (PATA) in March. Both drives will feature Lite-On's SmartErase technology and, in the case of the iHAP424, support for LightScribe. Lite-On will also be shipping a third drive in mid-May. Along with SmartErase and LightScribe, the iHAS624 will feature Lite-On's new LabelTag technology. This technology allows you to write text and graphics on the recordable side of a disc.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/News/lite-on-ann ... iters.html

Lite-On, a global leader of optical storage solutions, today announces a new line of internal DVD writers that deliver a maximum write speed of 24X on select DVD media, the fastest in the market. Select drives will also include Lite-On’s own LabelTag and SmartErase technologies – unique labeling and data erasing features for DVDs and CDs.

Compared to similar devices in the market today, Lite-On’s new internal writers offer the fastest DVD recording available with its DVD writing speeds of 24X. All drives will include new Lite-On technologies designed for true power users who are concerned with more than just writing speeds. Lite-On’s SmartErase technology will be included in all drive versions, and the iHAS624, available in Mid-May, will also feature LabelTag – a new solution in disc labeling.

“PLDS is proud to manufacture the fastest 24X writers in the market, especially with included technologies such as LabelTag,” said Christine Hsing, Marketing Manager at PLDS. “LabelTag provides a cost-effective and flexible method for professional disc labeling, a great solution for today’s busy professional and people on-the-go.”

LabelTag is a patented new feature that allows users to create a label ring on the data side of any standard recordable media – no special media required. Users are still able to add data after the making a label, making burning your label is just as easy as burning your data.

SmartErase, which is included in all new 24X DVD writers, provides users with a permanent solution for erasing discs with confidential data. With SmartErase, users can be sure that private and sensitive data is securely erased and cannot be recaptured.

These new DVD writers will be available in the following versions:

iHAS324 - 24X SATA with SmartErase; available in Mid-March
iHAP424 - 24X PATA with SmartErase and LightScribe; available end of March
iHAS624 - 24X SATA with SmartErase, LightScribe and LabelTag; available in Mid-May
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: Lite-On Announces Three New 24x DVD Writers And LabelTag

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Since the technology is now patented, I don't think Lite-On will mind if I post a little info about LabelTag.

LABELTAG is a method for writing text-label and/or graphics on the recordable side of Recordable or Rewritable discs. LABELTAG technology enables printing of a user-defined label on the disc without any other means than the drive and the disc itself.

LABELTAG provides a complete, convenient, cost-effective system for labelling optical discs. The label contains basic content information, clearly visible and readable by the eye. The user simply "burns" the data and the label on the same recording layer of the disc. It is not necessary to flip the disc.

LABELTAG can be applied on any standard optical storage disc, for example DVD+/-R/RW-SL/DL but also HD-DVD or BD. No additional (expensive) layers on either side of the disc are required. The label can be added to the disc at any time: before or after the regular recording process, or another time. The label disc remains fully compatible with other “non-LABELTAG” drives.

LabelTag Disc.jpg
LabelTag Disc.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 24347 times
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Wow, they redeveloped disk tattoo. They are so clever :roll: I have several drives I re flashed to support it, was pretty cool but never really used it except to make a few cool picture disks.
Now if they made it able to tag over already written portions of the disk that might be kinda cool and useful... :-k
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah, LabelFlash can do the same sort of thing. One advantage LabelTag does have is that it works with Blu-ray.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Here's a picture of iHAS624.

Lite-On iHAS624 600.jpg
Lite-On iHAS624 600.jpg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 24511 times
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:20 am

Well I may have to go against my idea of never buying another LiteOn again at this rate. The idea sounds interesting and maybe they've gotten enough goodies lately to make a solid burner again. We'll have to see how they sort out when they show up but label flash and Light scribe in one package is pretty cool even if I never use it now.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:08 pm

This looks rather interesting. Do you know if LabelTag works on CD's? The OptiArc Labelflash drives will do DiscTatoo on DVD's but not on CD's.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:04 pm

According to the info I have, it doesn't do CDs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MediumRare on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Ian wrote:According to the info I have, it doesn't do CDs

Too bad. I guess a CDR isn't a "standard optical storage disc" anymore.

There's a lot of speculation at CDFreaks that these drives may actually be based on a NEC chipset. Can you say anything on that front?

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Dartman on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Well if they are using NEC chips the drive should be much better burn quality wise then they've been. The NEC and Pioneer drives I've used have always been top notch burners and fairly fast, at least the later ones. I was thinking that lately they might have something going with NEC but maybe that was Sony only but they make drive for everyone it seems.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm fairly certain that this is another MediaTek chipset. Lite-On has been working on this for some time and NEC's new chipset doesn't go into mass production until March... which is also when Lite-On's drives are going to ship.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Wow.. the iHAS624 is finally shipping.. at least in Europe. It's only a year and a half late.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/News/lite-on-iha ... eltag.html
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:11 am

You'll have to get one and tell us how it does, the Optiarc drives have been going for 15 to 20 bucks shipped lately on New Egg so it will be interesting to see what these sell for.
Also how well they actually burn quality wise.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:36 pm

I just ordered one. 24 Euros (pick up at a local outlet of a mail-order chain). It'll be available in a few days- still in November.

I don't have a Litescribe (or LabelTag) drive yet- so there's something to play with in any case. I could never get the LabelFlash of my NEC 7203 to work.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Return to DVD Writers