Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Looking for MiniDV Suggestions

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Looking for MiniDV Suggestions

Postby Boone on Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:10 pm

Hey all,

My wife and I are looking around for an affordable MiniDV Camcorder. I know the Sonys have the Carl Zeiss lenses, but they're limited to 10x optical zoom (I don't care about Digital Zoom). Canon and JVC have some offerings that have 16x+ optical zooms, but I'm unsure of their quality, etc. Size matters, but not so much as to buy a Sony MicroMV. I think the Canon Elura 40MC is a perfect size for a camcorder, but we'd be happy with the standard formfactor of Sony's MiniDV (like the TRV19,etc).

Is there a quality MiniDV review site (like www.dpreview.com does for digital cameras), or can anyone offer any suggestions?
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:43 pm

my i ask what you will be doing with your camera when you get it. Such as do you need a 3CCD camera or not..
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:21 pm

It'll just be used for family-type stuff. I envision taking it out to the driving range once or twice to check my swing as well. :)

What does the 3 CCD give you?
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:40 pm

Boone wrote:It'll just be used for family-type stuff. I envision taking it out to the driving range once or twice to check my swing as well. :)

Yeah right. It will probably never leave the bed room.... :wink:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MonteLDS on Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:35 pm

Boone wrote:It'll just be used for family-type stuff. I envision taking it out to the driving range once or twice to check my swing as well. :)

What does the 3 CCD give you?

3CCD is for color. It gives u a more cleaner look to be breif on it. but its a heck of a lot more expensive. Sony are really easy to use, I have a JVC myself. Might be one to tell u to get a "full body" rather then the "stand up body" cause you get a better camera grip with the full body for future things. don't spend more then $600 whatever u do.

miniDV tapes cost around $4 a tape from when i last check. Frys has them on sale today for a pack of 3 for $9.99
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:17 pm

Thanks MonteLDS. I had been considering a stand-up one, but they do seem awfully small and awkward to hold.

If I go Sony, I know I get a great Carl Zeiss lens, but it's limited to 10x optical. JVC and others go to 16x... is it better to get clear 10x or (maybe just as clear?) 16-18x?
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:30 am

before u buy I might have a HOT DEAL for you from a client of mine who is looking to sell his at a rock bottom price. let me know

AIM me or email me MonteLDS@aol.com subject line of MINI DV
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion