Ok, I'm now pretty sure my mobo is dying (I now have 2 SATA ports that if I have anything plugged into them the system flakes out).
So: Core 2 time!
I'll definitely wait for the upcoming price drop, and probably for the 1333Mhz FSB chips (umm, E6850 FTW!). Final mobo/cpu choice will be based mostly on video card choice - and for that, I'm waiting for ATI (ahem, AMD) to release R600 and nVidia the 89xx series.
Hmm, back on topic.
I am of the understanding that timings aren't quite as important on the Intel side of the fence as they were with AMD's A64's (I have an X2 right now)??
Basically looking at (all DDR2/800):
Corsair 5-5-5-15 (nice & cheap); $204;
Corsair 4-4-4-12 (2.1V); $234;
Kingston 4-4-4-12 (1.95V); $239
Crucial 5-5-5-15 (2.2V, DDR2/1000); $300.
I figure the Crucial would be nice if I overclock at all (I will if I can ever find a damn Aquagate Mini), but it is costly. Otherwise, I'm leaning for the Kingston, since it has low timings and low voltage too (less heat, hopefully a bit more OC head room).