Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Meritline 4X (?)

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Meritline 4X (?)

Postby boblx2 on Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:51 pm

Well I received my "4X" Ritek discs from Meritline today. The first two I have tried, with settings at "Max" and "4X", have been lucky to burn at 2X. Watching the "Write rate" on DVD Decryptor I saw no reading higher then 2.3 X. I'm glad the discs did not cost a ton of money because they don't appear to be worth more then 2X prices. A disc that I previously burned in 25 minutes with good 2X media took 34 minutes. Not too impressive! DVD Decryptor does indicate that they are Ritek discs which are recommeded by Sony. I am using a Sony DRU-500A. I would not even attempt to use them in my A05. :)

Anyone got an idea on where to buy real 4X discs?
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Postby gurgenpb on Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:08 pm

I tried the very same 4x disk from meritline on my dru500A with NO problems. I was using Nero. The video disks (DVD) that I made played fine in both my polayers as well as the PC. The read curve in DVDSpeed looked smooth with NO dropoffs (unlike the Meritline 2x media burned at 2x - recognizable and workable, but with read dropoffs).

I think the 4x RIteks are OK.

Gurgen
gurgenpb
Buffer Underrun

Postby boblx2 on Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:58 am

Well since I tried them in my A05 and they worked perfect I guess there is nothing wrong with the Ritek 4X discs. But rather a suspected problem with our two Sony drives. I tried DVD Dedcrypter, Nero and Stomp. Same results with all of the software.
We ordered them and recived them at the same time from the same vendor. It is not too hard to envison them both having the same problem. But as long as the media works okay with the A05's that will work! We both also have A05's so the medi will not go to waste. As a matter of fact that is the first media that would work on the A05's. So it is "good news and bad news"!
I suppose it would not be too much of a shock to me to discover that both of our Sony drives do not work as expected. Since they both do +R at 2.4 we can live with that.

Thanks for your input.......
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers