Home News Reviews Forums Shop

48 minutes to read HD DVD????

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

48 minutes to read HD DVD????

Postby littleberry on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:05 am

I have a new LG GGW H20l HD-DVD/BLURAY DVD reader/writer (upgraded to f/w YL05), which has a SATA interface.
My harddrive is a SATA SEAGATE 250g formatted NTFS.

As a test, I copied the entire HD DVD movie to my harddrive using Windows XP explorer.
There were 26.7 gigabytes of data transferred, and it took 48 minutes. That figures out to be about .93 megs/second.
Is that a normal speed for just reading data?

I couldn't find anything at all about DMA when I go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ and look at the SATA drives and DVD reader there - no mention of DMA at all.

I have ANYDVD installed, if that makes any difference.

Any opinions as to whether or not this raw read speed is normal or too slow, or if there is anyway I can speed it up?
littleberry
Buffer Underrun

Re: 48 minutes to read HD DVD????

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:25 am

The GGW-H20L has a maximum read speed of 3x with HD DVD movies so a time of 48 minutes is probably about right. Have you tried running a transfer rate test in CD Speed to see how long it takes there?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Yep it doesn't read em fast but it does read/play them so at least it does work. I don't think anybody else is rushing to support hd-dvd so we're stuck with what we have and who knows how long these will be available.
Another fun one is to try burning the bd-re disk that it comes with in Nero with the default error checking turned on. It takes over an hour or close and does it at less then 1x speed.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby littleberry on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:35 pm

That is what I thought. No problem. Like you say, at least it WILL READ the HD DVD's and play them ok. I was just hoping that SATA would speed things up a bit. This unit (GGW H20L) is really a pretty good deal - so I won't complain. Also, I have many regular homemade DVD's (+R) that I had burned 4 years ago and were failing when read by other readers, and this unit managed to read on past the errors - that was a bonus I wasn't expecting.
littleberry
Buffer Underrun

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives