Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Mistake in LG GSA-2166D review - NO POWER BUTTON!!

Need help with the website? Have feedback? Post it here.

Mistake in LG GSA-2166D review - NO POWER BUTTON!!

Postby tzittnan on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:42 pm

There is no power button! At least not on the unit I received...

I'm kind of bummed because that was one of the things I liked about it. But if the rest is as good as the review, that will be great!
tzittnan

Postby Ian on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:49 pm

The review isn't mistaken. You just got a newer revision of the drive that doesn't have the power button.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:50 pm

Ian wrote:The review isn't mistaken. You just got a newer revision of the drive that doesn't have the power button.

Wow, that's just like the "newer version" of a Logitech Quickcam 5000 webcam, which doesn't come with the headset that every review site shows included in the package, and was the deciding feature for why my mother bought one, and then wasn't there....

gotta love these "newer versions" eh? :evil:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby tzittnan on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:41 am

Um - OK, thanks. That clears things up but the review is still mistaken because it is out of date.

How about taking a new snapshot of the back of the unit so other people don't get confused? If this is known why not mention it?
tzittnan

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:08 am

Mistaken and out of date are two different things. The initial version of the drive had a power switch. According to your report, the new one does not. That's not a mistake. Just a change on LG's behalf. I didn't even know about it until you brought it up.

As far as going back and updating old reviews.. Between changes like this and firmware updates, we'd never get around to reviewing anything new.

If you're truly concerned about letting people know, I'd snap a picture of the back and post it in the review discussion thread:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20692
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby tzittnan on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:03 am

I was just pointing something out that I noticed. I made the assumption that this was a known issue and it was not. I apologize for that mistaken assumption.

If you want to argue semantics, I agree that something like a review that's out of date is not mistaken. It's wrong.

I'm not the one writing the reviews so it's not my responsibility to update the pictures. I already tried to be helpful and now I'm sorry I ever bothered. I'll leave the rest to someone that cares.
tzittnan

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:47 am

my my, what a friendly guy.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:53 am

My thoughts exactly. It would be nice to have gotten some pics though to see that there truly was a change in the design. It's not like I can pull a new drive out of thin air and update the review. :roll:
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:23 am

that's besides the point.
it's his attitude.
he made a good point - a discrepancy between the pics in the review and the actual drive (he has).
you explained it very well.
his opinion is that the review should be updated - fine he's entitled to his opinion. but you explained why you can't do it from a practical standpoint.
but calling your review 'wrong' ???
and his sarcastic attitude! :x
moreover you explained how he could help out which he chose not to.

oh well...water under the bridge.

EDIT: spelling correction
Last edited by dodecahedron on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby shorttimer on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:26 pm

My attitude is equal to the attitude given me on the responses. If you need my help then ask me, don't argue with me.

Look - I'm sure you don't want me here and I don't want to be here. I canned my other profile and I'll can this one too (self-ban).

But if you want to discuss attitude look at yourself first.
shorttimer

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:45 pm

shorttimer wrote:My attitude is equal to the attitude given me on the responses.
But if you want to discuss attitude look at yourself first.

well, before my 1st post on this thread i looked good and hard both at your attitude and at Ian's.
Ian's was just fine. you were the belligerent one. that's the reason for my "my my, what a friendly guy."

more discussion in the 2nd post (reply to Ian).
you should take a good look at yourself

shorttimer wrote:Look - I'm sure you don't want me here and I don't want to be here.

you are wrong on that point. you're not unwelcome - the opposite is true.

shorttimer wrote:If you need my help then ask me, don't argue with me.

apart from the arguing (which you were doing), no one actually needs your help.
you felt there was an error in the review, and went to the trouble to let Ian know about it.
that is appreciated! however Ian did not agree with you about his review being wrong etc. etc., it's his right to disagree. and he explained to you why he's not going to alter his review. you can accept his explanation or not, but even if not that does not make his review "wrong" (your words). at least that is my opinion, and Ian's too. you're entitled to your own.
it's a pity that instead of getting into an agrument, you didn't just follow Ian's suggestion on how to help out the community at large - post a new picture in the thread dedicated to that review.

i hope i've made myself clear. if you disagree with me that's just fine.
end of subject as far as i'm concerned.
and like i already said, you're quite welcome to stay here.
have a nice weekend (or holiday, if you're Jewish by chance).
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KG on Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:33 pm

tzittnan/shorttimer, I'm very new here but I think you are not understanding the way CDRLabs works.

Your words sound to me as if you thought keeping the reviews on the site up to date were Ian's obligation or responsability. I would understand the point you are making and your annoyance if the website of the manufacturer or of the store where you bought the drive were offering out-of-date information about their products (I have had such kind of experience myself) but, if I am right, what CDRLabs tries is to build a community with the voluntary contributions of everyone, and a review published on a certain date is just one of those contributions so, if the review matched the reality at the moment of publishing, there is no mistake.

The reviews include the date when they were released, always look at it.

As I see it, Ian is not trying to make you "do his job" by "correcting his mistake" but inviting you to join the community and make your own contribution.
KG
Buffer Underrun

Return to Feedback and Help