Home News Reviews Forums Shop

moving

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

moving

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:50 pm

well, i'm back after the big move. :P

the actual moving was on last thursday, but i spent friday-saturday-sunday slaving at the old place packing and hauling the last stuff that hadn't been packed by the time the movers came.

only got my ADSL back up today. was stuck at 28.8kbps dialup :x oh my god what a nightmare!

new place is very nice. although terribly disorganized and messy, with boxes everywhere.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

CDRs are heavy!

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:53 pm

CDRs are heavy!

i happened to shlepp a box containing a large chunk of my media stash.
190 CDRs in jewel cases (17 x 10pack, 4 x 5pack), 50 CDRs in a spidle and 20 empty slim jewel cases.

damn that box was heavy! i never thought about how much all that stuff weighs.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:44 pm

LOL, congrats on the move.

Why did you move anyway?

Any pix of the neighborhood?
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:53 pm

UALOneKPlus wrote:Why did you move anyway?
Any pix of the neighborhood?

congrats as well
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:12 pm

Any help with the move?

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:42 pm

thanks guys.
well.

1. the previous flat was a 3 room place (bedroom, livingroom, den). the new one is 4 rooms. a second bathroom/toilet attached to the bedroom is nice too (esp. for the wife). also, it's roomier and feels more open and airy.

2. the previous flat was a relatively old apartment, in one of the older downtown buildings (built circa 1960?). the new one is a modern apartment in a 2 year old building.
no crumbling mortar in the walls where the moisture gets into the walls, no more dripping of rain in the balconies etc.
well, it's new and that always feels nice.

3. previous flat - 3rd floor (3rd story for UK amongst us) without an elevator. i didn't mind too much but the wife...
the new flat is on the 8th floor but with an elevator. 2 elevators actually.

4. parking in the center of Tel Aviv is hell...when one of us would return home from work at 8:30 or 9:30 in the evening, it would sometimes take as much as 40 minutes or more to find a parking spot for the car. this is terrible, believe me. the new place has one car park inside the parking area of the complex and there's enough space outside for the second car.

the downside is, living farther away from the center of Tel Aviv, is a longer commute to work in the mornings, and being stuck in traffic jams. it's worse for the wife than for me though, i should'nt really complain.

too bad i don't have a digital camera, or i would show pics.
the view from the 8th floor is cool. i've never lived this high up.
there's a bird's-eye view of a majority of the city from our living room's large window (it's not a very big city). also, very close by to our place is a large military-industry grounds, and all that area is mostly green (i suppose a majority of the works are underground) and plenty of eucalyptus trees (like in any Israeli army camp :x :o ) but that means lots of greenery in the view, not just city roof-tops.

all in all we feel very good about the move, and so far (1 week) like it a lot.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 pm

Sounds like a great move!

Do you feel like you're in danger at all, with all the bombings and shootings that seems to be on the news?
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:42 am

Congratulations!
The new place sounds like an improvement all around.

I can relate to your parking hassles. Our town has grown dramatically, and there is nowhere to build more parking for the train station.
I have to park by the police and fire stations, and even that gets full before 7:45 AM now due to construction of a state of the art firehouse.
It is so bad that I was actually VERY surprised that there was still ONE spot in the preferred lot this morning (marked lines, so people don't tripe park and block each other).
Luckily I have an assigned parking spot where I live (thinking about going for a real house with a garage) and there is a reasonable amount of guest parking, which comes in handy when someone accidentally parks in my spot (it is in a corner next to two handicapped spots, so people sometimes mistake my spot for as handicapped spot, especially in the dark when the spot number on the ground is hard to see.
They used to spray paint the word "RESERVED" next to the spot number on the ground. For some reason that was stopped.

Sorry about the commute! I have a long one, but coming home to the suburbs is great, especially on weekends.
The trees, parks and quiet are great, as well as all the closeby malls and restaurants.
The good beaches are only about 70 minutes away by car. The best ski slopes are about 2 hours away, but we actually have a small slope in my town, only 6 minutes drive away and decent skiing is about a 45 minute drive.

Enjoy the new place!!!
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF