Home News Reviews Forums Shop


NEC ND-3500 Preview @ PC Watch

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

NEC ND-3500 Preview @ PC Watch

Postby Ian on Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Well.. its actually an Iodata DVR-ABN16W.. but its essentially an OEM ND-3500.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0806/iodata.htm

16x DVD-R Write:

Image

16x DVD+R Write:

Image

I'll let you guys make the judgement on whether or not its better than the A08.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14883
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:27 pm

appears to be 12x DVD-R writing :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Phoenix '97 on Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:46 am

I wonder if it would be possible to enable/disable that "walking OPC" technology of theirs (those dips in the CDSpeed graphs).

From the Babelfish translation of the article it seems that it's the media itself that was limited to 12x - Nero wouldn't show any higher, but still that's a really nice time for a 12x burn.

I hope the writing quality is still great! :)
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:11 am
Location: Winterpeg

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:48 am

Interesting... I'll wait to see more later.
User avatar
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Home of the Red Tail

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:22 am

Phoenix '97 wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to enable/disable that "walking OPC" technology of theirs (those dips in the CDSpeed graphs).

From the Babelfish translation of the article it seems that it's the media itself that was limited to 12x - Nero wouldn't show any higher, but still that's a really nice time for a 12x burn.

I hope the writing quality is still great! :)


Except that it was supposed to be CAV, not Z-CLV
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Wesociety on Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:55 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Except that it was supposed to be CAV, not Z-CLV

16X DVDR burns ( + or - ) use CAV.
12X/8X uses Z-CLV
4X uses CLV

TDK 1212N spotted HERE. (rebadged NEC 3500A)
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
User avatar
Wesociety
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby shimman on Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:13 am

because babel fish's jap to eng is too rough i tried to summerize some good points of the preview

the reviewer stated that the drive is not the final retail version but the firmware is more or less like final version, so the performance should be same as the initital retail version

the review also stated that 4x +r dl writing is about 10 sec faster than 108 with same media; that is mcc

for the -r writing test, the tester used ty 8x -r disk & the max speed supported for that media was 12x & faster than 108 but slower than catalog(ue) data(????)'s 5min burning (probably the tester meant less than 6min)

with ty 8x +r, nearly 16x was reached & completed in 6min 2sec

the last but most interesting thing the tester mentioned.....integrated graphic system & 16x burning with 3500a!!!!

according to this article, 16x writing speed could not be reached with the system using the integrated video system of intel 845g chipset. that is without the agp card (did not mention about a pci card), max buring speed was about 14x but with the agp card installed & used (not sure whether the integrated 845g video system was disabled or not) 16x could be reached...folks time to replace lousy dell 2400 desktop ;)

however, no difference in 8x writing whether an agp card was used or not

the tester's conclusion was that 16x writing is so demending, the integrated video sub system of 845g chipset ate too much bandwidth that was needed for 16x writing

another thing about this preview is that the tester used mark cell, mcc, ty 8x disks & ty was the best; at least that's what the tester stated.

the preview credit goes to date@impress.co.jp & pc-watch(no name was provided) & trans credit goes to me & info goes to cdrlabs.com :)

btw aopen japan claimed that their DUW1608 drive can burn full single layer dvd disks(+r) in 5min 50sec; estimated price is about 110usd for retail version; nothing unusual....2.4x dl 8x -r 4x rw 48x cdr
shimman
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:48 pm

Postby Kennyshin on Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:49 am

I'm not sure why 16x DVD+R writing should cause problems to 845G/ICH4. The system I'm using right now has a Gigabyte 845G motherboard with ICH4. 16x DVD+R CAV burning was not a problem but then I was probably using an AGP Matrox G450 while I'm using the integrated 845G graphics now.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:56 am

Postby shimman on Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:52 pm

kenny, 16x writing problem was an issue with nec 3500a & 845g with integrated graphic subsystem reported by the 3500a tester; frankly i don't know why but the tester suggested the limited bandwidth (i think the tester was talking about the memory bandwidth) caused by the integrated graphic subsystem.

if you know japanese, try to read it for yourself, my japanese is not really good but i think it is good enough to translate with 90%+ accuracy :)
shimman
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:48 pm

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:11 am

I had read it already as Impress has been one of my favorite tech sites since mid-1990s.

My Japanese is not as good as yours because I never learned it but even then, I read it. I think I can usually understand most things in Japanese as well as I can understand Korean or English. What you translated is nearly 100% correct. (To say 90+% seems moderate.)

To me, Japanese is Chinese plus some Japanese and Korean is Chinese plus some Korean. Therefore, it is technically possible for an average South Korean to understand Japanese without learning it. Many South Koreans can browse Chinese websites without any help. Sometimes, there's nearly zero difference among Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and some other Asian languages around China. At this very moment, South Korea is on a serious dispute with the mainland China about a former Korean state that existed between about the first century and seventh century. People's Republic of China has erased the entire history of Korea before mid-1940s from one of their government websites a while ago and wants to make the rest of the world that the state was part of China. That's going to be one of the many most possible reasons for war in the next necade.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:56 am

Postby shimman on Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:53 pm

To me, Japanese is Chinese plus some Japanese and Korean is Chinese plus some Korean


i disagree with your statement; though many korean/japanese words are origniated from chinese charactors, languages are different especially between chinese vs korean/japanese; they are different kind of languages. it is like to say english is latin + some english or american is some english + american (sorry cannot speak proper english like folks in uk ;) )

besides chinese would not able to even guess what korean websites are saying because i haven't seen any korean website with chinese characters unlike japanese

a historical dispute.....probably one side is trying to hide shames from the rest of world. i guess now the era of radicals.....maybe the end is near;)
shimman
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:48 pm

Postby Kennyshin on Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:43 am

I majored in the English language at HUFS and I learned Chinese like all others at my age.

There is hardly any South Korean website written in Chinese but that is only because of cultural tendency towards independence from Chinese and pro-Americanism. That doesn't indicate the Korean language is any less dependent on Chinese.

By saying Korean is Chinese plus Korean, it is not like saying English is Latin plus English. Right now, I'm typing in English but none of this looks exactly like Latin, but when I type in Korean as Chinese, it's perfectly readable by Chinese in Shanghai or in Beijing or Taipei, and also by Japanese. There are some different ways to draw some of the characters but that's also a standard course of learning it.

The root of some English words is Latin. The Korean language uses the same Chinese characters that lasted five thousand years. Even when the Korean pages look differently from Chinese, they are Chinese. The Japanese were once so annoyed with the Korean language that they tried every Korean to use Japanese only when they learned Chinese from Koreans. The first Japanese emperor was a Korean decsendent just like some of the first Korean kings of the early Korean state in known history is said to be Chinese. Some of the Japanese imperial family came to South Korea to say hi to the Baekje tombs recently though rather secretly. :D
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:56 am

Postby uknown1234 on Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:37 pm

this is not a language forum. way OT [-X
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:04 pm

Postby Kennyshin on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:18 pm

uknown1234 wrote:this is not a language forum. way OT [-X


You will never learn anything from most of the rest of the world if you continue to ignore such problems. Quite a lot of news posts are misleading due to mistranslation alone. I know you'd like just simple answers in English. That's what I can't ever like about South Koreans who don't like to see any Engllish on their boards.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:56 am

Postby Ian on Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Kennyshin wrote:Quite a lot of news posts are misleading due to mistranslation alone.


No kidding. If you're using something like Babelfish, it can really mangle the translation. I've seen it spit out some really crazy stuff.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14883
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby shimman on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:03 am

this is not a language forum. way OT

sorry everyone & especially unknow1234 for talking ot....will ya let me slide just one more time ;)


I learned Chinese like all others at my age


what you meant by chinese was chinese characters, right? i think you are seriously misleading many to think that korean is a dialect of chinese & that is NOT right. [-X

i have to say i am disappointed in your statement because that's not what i learned when i learned both korean & japanese. :-?

chinese is classified sino-tibetan family & korean is unclassified/unknown origine(i am not in the position of saying this but maybe a class of its own) & some classify it as altaic family; japanese is thought as a distant genetic kinship to korean or a possible subfamily of altaic.

i don't think korean or japanese can be written with soloely chinese characters because i know chinese do not have tense, voice, inflection to indicate person, gender, nor number(of subjects or objects) & chinese characters are ideographic rather than phonetic, so there are huge gaps in need & what can be written with chinese characters. besides korean language even has many forms to indicate tone of respects(the reason i quit korean after two semesters) & japanese also has similar forms but far simpler.

yes, i know many koreans can read chinese characters (meaning pronounce the characters in korean way & know what they mean) (japanese are usually better at it because chinese characters or kanji are used everyday everywhere in japan but not in korea thanks to their unique writing system called hankul), but that's about it. know how to read characters & understanding languages are two different things.

for those who do not know about chinese characters, there are thousands of unique characters for every syllable & represent words or meaning rather than sounds; thus, it is possible to understand meaning of words but that does not mean one can understand meaning of sentences.

chinese characters are usuful because they represent meaning so it is easy to understand meaning of words but a pain in @$$ to memorize all the characters

if anyone still think cjk are all same, i give up :roll:

and i also like to thank everyone for tolerating my ot post :) :oops:
Last edited by shimman on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
shimman
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:48 pm

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:06 am

what can i say, i found the linguistic discussion much more interesting than the NEC discussion :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby uknown1234 on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:42 am

dodecahedron wrote:what can i say, i found the linguistic discussion much more interesting than the NEC discussion :D

So did I, however its not what I expected to read in this thread.
Kennyshin wrote:You will never learn anything from most of the rest of the world if you continue to ignore such problems. Quite a lot of news posts are misleading due to mistranslation alone. I know you'd like just simple answers in English. That's what I can't ever like about South Koreans who don't like to see any Engllish on their boards.

Proper Translations are great however you 2 guys going at it about a language was not what the Subject was refering too.
BTW their boards there rules. I have seen other english forums not wanting other languages aswell because there aren't any translators for it and the majority of the people visiting read and write the language the board is written in.

All in all nice background knowledge but I do not know who to believe out of the 2. perhaps you need to start a new thread in the beer garden and have others share their knowledge on the language issue.
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:04 pm


Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.