Home News Reviews Forums Shop

need info on MP3 players....

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

need info on MP3 players....

Postby kevincott on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:25 pm

I am considering purchasing ARCHOS TECHNOLOGY
Jukebox Multimedia 20 Super Bundle from Dell or the Ipod or the Zen.

Any comments (besides the excellent audio from the Ipod)?

I think the Archos would be good as a companion to my Olympus (SM card memory) dig camera to offload pictures during vacations.
kevincott
CD-RW Thug

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:11 pm

The iPod is by far the best MP3 Player in the world. Especially the new iPods.

The iPod has games, excellent battery life (8 hours and you can use an external battery that uses 4 AA Batteries, each 4AA Battery Pack lasts 10-15 hours)

The iPod has excellent sound quality, a wide selection of storage spaces (10, 15, and 30GB.)

It simply can't be beat. It is the best out there, no questions asked. While the others may be cheaper and provide more "bang for the buck" this player is the best out there.

It simply can not be beat.

It also works on both Windows and Mac.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby tazdevl on Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:19 am

I've got a 10GB iPod, previous gen. Probably won't buy another... Apple's product support sucks. The never admit there is anything wrong with their products and take an interminable amount of time to fix things.

There are a lot of bugs still happening with the new iPods.

Games are not a selling point to buy an MP3 player IMO.

Philips is coming out with a 15gb player about the same size an weight as the new iPod. Should be out in a few weeks and cost much less. Looks pretty slick. Called the Awe or HDD100

www.audio.philips.com

Also, for $399 you can buy a 60gb creative labs zen. Downside of the zen is that it is slight bigger and heavier, doesn't look as slick and the UI isn't as good. However it does have better battery life, better amplification, and you definitely get more storage for the money. 60GB Zen for $399 vs 30GB for $499.

Software with both the iPod and Zen suck ass. If you go iPod get Ephpod www.ephpod.com (free and works much better than MusicMatch). If you go Zen, Notmad Explorer http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/ costs $25.

There are a few other companies out there like iriver... but if you want a HD based player it's really just Apple, Creative and soon... Philips.

Audio quality between the Zen and iPod is about the same.

It all comes down to which one you prefer... regardless of what I or anyone else says.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden