Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero infotool doesn't work

Burn baby burn!

Nero infotool doesn't work

Postby forbjok on Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:35 am

I tried to run Nero InfoTool like a hundred times, but it just exits immediately. (if i have the task manager open, i sometimes see the Infotool.exe process appear briefly, and then dissappear)

I'm running Windows XP with SP1, and Nero Burning Rom v5.5.9.17.

My CD-RW drives are (Sec. Master) Lite-On LTR-52246S (6S07) and (Sec. slave) Sony CRX-145E.
- This calls for divine intervention...
- I kick ass 4 the lord
forbjok
Buffer Underrun

Postby dimitri on Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:04 am

If it makes you feel better (and even if it doesn't :P ) Info tool never worked on my W98 system. I've tried all versions and it always crashes when scanning for installed software.

I Mailed to Erik and he said he couldn't reproduced my problem... :cry:

Suggest you write him too with as much details as you can.
All the best, dimitri (a.k.a digi, mango)
digi.rpc1.org | digidvd.tk
LiteOn/Jlms dvd drives: info, firmware, regional freedom :cool:
dimitri
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:33 am

You guys aren't running programs that create a virtual drive are you?
Like the new CloneCD or WinOnCD?

I've had Infotool crash when it detects a virtual drive.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dimitri on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:37 am

I actually do have the lovely Fantom cd installed and emulating 2 drives.
I also suspected it might confuse infotool and uninstalled it - for no avail.
Mind you Infotool starts by detecting the drives, and if Fantom is installed it detects its "drives" fine. It crashes (for me that is) when it's busy detecting burning software, which I have a few. Not gonna throw them away for the "benefit" of this tool. Besides it won't give me more info than I already know, it's just one of those things, I hate it when things don't work when they should... :o
All the best, dimitri (a.k.a digi, mango)
digi.rpc1.org | digidvd.tk
LiteOn/Jlms dvd drives: info, firmware, regional freedom :cool:
dimitri
CD-RW Player

Postby glock20rocks on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:33 pm

Hmm....InfoTool works ok on my system (I'm running Daemon tools for my virtual CD). But, SmartBurn.exe will reset my system if I try and use it (with or without Daemon). :(
glock20rocks

Postby forbjok on Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:46 am

Yes, I'm running Daemon-Tools v3.26 emulating 4 drives. I think the Virtual CloneDrive thing that came with CloneCD is emulating a drive too, but i don't use it.

Btw. Smartburn works fine for me, it's just InfoTool that doesn't.
- This calls for divine intervention...
- I kick ass 4 the lord
forbjok
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:02 am

In my case, it was CloneCD's virtual drive that screwed up the Info Tool.

I've disabled it, and all is fine. I'm still running with the virtual drive from WinON CD 5 PE. No troubles with it either.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby lightningbaron on Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:36 pm

I have the same issue with InfoTool on WinXP Pro SP1, it was working up until CloneCD the "virtual drive".

Spazmogen - Thanks for the tip, I think I'm going to disable the virtual drive. It's screwing up my ClonyXXL also.
lightningbaron
CD-RW Player

Postby blakerwry on Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:23 pm

I found the fix for getting nero info tool to work a while back.... you have to have an ASPI layer installed and working... of course, the tool won't tell you this...

Just download forceASPI and it will install the adaptec ASPI layer.. I ahve used it on serveral computers in both winXP and win98

As I recall, win95/98 has absolutely no ASPI layer... but winXP does have a buggy one :- ). In any event the ASPI layer provided by forceASPI does a wonderfull job.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:17 pm

blakerwry wrote:I found the fix for getting nero info tool to work a while back.... you have to have an ASPI layer installed and working... of course, the tool won't tell you this...

Just download forceASPI and it will install the adaptec ASPI layer.. I have used it on serveral computers in both winXP and win98

As I recall, win95/98 has absolutely no ASPI layer... but winXP does have a buggy one :- ). In any event the ASPI layer provided by forceASPI does a wonderfull job.

Win 98 has an ASPI, Win2K does not. I'm using both.

There's an ASPI download from Adaptec that no longer needs an Adaptec card intalled for it to work. I'm running 4.71 on Win98se with no trouble. Why bother with force aspi? The new 4.71 supports XP, Win2K, ME, & Win98 but NOT Win95.

http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc ... _471a2.exe

The 4.60 ASPI in force aspi was designed for Win95 according to Adaptec's webpage.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:45 pm

Spazmogen:

I've never touched ASPI on my XP Pro SP1 and 98SE boxes, and Nero with all its utilities, InCD and Smartburn work fine.

I've helped several users who had to switch to ASPI 4.60 because they had trouble with 4.7x on their 98, 98SE, W2K and XP boxes.

There were many negative reports on 4.7x on various forums, and usually ForceASPI was recommended because it's quite easy to use.

So your mileage may vary, but I would be more cautious in general. 8)
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby blakerwry on Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:04 am

I personally use forceASPI because I had problems after installing winXP SP1 when using the adaptec 4.7x drivers. The problem reas related to DVD watching and or ripping. Using 4.6 solved the problem imediately.

I found that on several clean installs of win98(se) that the nero info toll would not run.... it would start and give a short pop-up and then close immediately... the was solved by using my trusty forceASPI. Installing the ASPI drivers was undoubtably the solution.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives