Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Nero & Multisession DVD write strategy compared to CD's?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero & Multisession DVD write strategy compared to CD's?

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:36 am

Hi! :)

I recently got a DVD writer(NEC 3500) so I am new to it all.

Data burning is all I've been practicing with so far, though I have noticed a strange write strategy option discrepancy with Nero when compared to multisession data burning to CD's.

Could someone inform me if its normal for the DAO option to be ghosted out when burning "Mulisession" DVD's?? :-s

Here is a couple of pictures to illustrate what I am referring to.

*1st-When writing to CD's with multisession chosen, notice the TAO option is ghosted: Which it should be.

Image

*2-Now when writing to DVD's with multisession chosen, notice there is no TAO option ghosted instead this time DAO is ghosted...Huh! :-k

Image

Thanks for any help. [-o<
SilverSurfer
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:21 pm

Re: Nero & Multisession DVD write strategy compared to C

Postby AlienTech on Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:02 am

SilverSurfer wrote:Hi! :)

I recently got a DVD writer(NEC 3500) so I am new to it all.

Data burning is all I've been practicing with so far, though I have noticed a strange write strategy option discrepancy with Nero when compared to multisession data burning to CD's.

Could someone inform me if its normal for the DAO option to be ghosted out when burning "Mulisession" DVD's?? :-s

Here is a couple of pictures to illustrate what I am referring to.

*1st-When writing to CD's with multisession chosen, notice the TAO option is ghosted: Which it should be.

*2-Now when writing to DVD's with multisession chosen, notice there is no TAO option ghosted instead this time DAO is ghosted...Huh! :-k


Thanks for any help. [-o<


I always thought multi-session was Track at once.. IE audio cd's are essentially Track at once and each new track is a new session. They just used that method to create multi-session cd's by writting a lead in before a new track for data. I havent checked if nero shows the proper messages since DAO would mean the disk would not be able to be updated with a new session since the PMA would already have been written. I used to use DAO option just in case I got a buffer under run or another error which did not finish the write but I still wanted to be able to access a few files that got written.
AlienTech
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:31 am

Postby CCampbell on Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:17 pm

The DVD Standard does not support TAO feature.

But it can still, in a sence, create a Multisession Disc using Borders. I will not bother going into the Details. :)

You'll find that when you select the Option to create a Multisession DVD, a message comes up to inform you that not all devices can read a Multisession DVD, and you must continue at your own risk.

And when you do write to a data DVD two or more times, and you use Nero's Disc Info feature to look at the disc, it will report only 1 session, but in () you will see a number such as (4) to indicate you have 4 sessions on the DVD.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:27 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby AlienTech on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:01 pm

Okay.. So how do you read the rest of the data then?
AlienTech
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:31 am

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:55 am

@CCampbell:
OK but what about SilverSurfer's question?
how come the compilation window shows in one case and TAO and in the other case DAO, and in both cases it's greyed out so the use can't change it ?
from your answer i understand that it should be DAO in any case!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby CCampbell on Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:04 pm

dodecahedron wrote:@CCampbell:
OK but what about SilverSurfer's question?
how come the compilation window shows in one case and TAO and in the other case DAO, and in both cases it's greyed out so the use can't change it ?
from your answer i understand that it should be DAO in any case!


Hi Dodecahedron,

If you look closely, you'll see that in the screenshot that shows TAO, he has CD-R/RW selected, not DVD. And the TAO option is grayed out because he has 'Add Sessions Later' enabled, so we need to force TAO as you can not create a Multisession in DAO mode.

And in the second screenshot he has DVD option selected and all DVD's are written in DAO mode as I had mentioned previously. :)

And AlienTech, not sure what your question is exactly when you ask, 'How do you read the rest of the data then?". I did say you can create a Multisession DVD in DAO mode. It's just not handled in the same way as when creating Multisession CDs. And some drives will not be able to read a Multisession DVD, and for those drives only a firmware upgrade can resolve the issue.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:27 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:35 pm

CCampbell wrote:Hi Dodecahedron,

If you look closely, you'll see that in the screenshot that shows TAO, he has CD-R/RW selected, not DVD. And the TAO option is grayed out because he has 'Add Sessions Later' enabled, so we need to force TAO as you can not create a Multisession in DAO mode.

And in the second screenshot he has DVD option selected and all DVD's are written in DAO mode as I had mentioned previously. :)

of course!
my bad for not noticing this. sorry.
now everything is crystal clear!
thanks again for your explanation. :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby AlienTech on Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:46 pm

CCampbell wrote:And AlienTech, not sure what your question is exactly when you ask, 'How do you read the rest of the data then?". I did say you can create a Multisession DVD in DAO mode. It's just not handled in the same way as when creating Multisession CDs. And some drives will not be able to read a Multisession DVD, and for those drives only a firmware upgrade can resolve the issue.

Regards,

Craig


I mean how do you access the data. You said Nero info tools for example will show you the other sessions. So how do you access this data.
Ahead has some gimmick that lets you supposedly access this, But that only shows you all the sessions. As there was no way to actually select any of the other sessions. (or is there?)
There are some other problems that If your sessions exceed 4gigs, Something else happens. Seems udfs.sys has problems before and after... Not sure but I keep seeing messages to upgrade it and it keeps on going and going and going... It supposedly fixes snow white and the seven dwarfs. But that does not let me access Multisession DVD disks :) In some instances it supposedly lets you access the last session only, in some the first session only. Until now I was not aware there was no real multi-sessions on DVD's :)

It all gets to be rather confusing.
AlienTech
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:31 am

Postby CCampbell on Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:51 pm

[/quote]

I mean how do you access the data. You said Nero info tools for example will show you the other sessions. So how do you access this data.
Ahead has some gimmick that lets you supposedly access this, But that only shows you all the sessions. As there was no way to actually select any of the other sessions. (or is there?)
There are some other problems that If your sessions exceed 4gigs, Something else happens. Seems udfs.sys has problems before and after... Not sure but I keep seeing messages to upgrade it and it keeps on going and going and going... It supposedly fixes snow white and the seven dwarfs. But that does not let me access Multisession DVD disks :) In some instances it supposedly lets you access the last session only, in some the first session only. Until now I was not aware there was no real multi-sessions on DVD's :)

It all gets to be rather confusing.[/quote]

First, we do not have some gimmick. :)

Multisession Standard for DVD is part of the MMC 3 command set. We do have a Multisession mounter that allows you to mount seperate sessions created with Multisession or Non-Multisession CDs, but this does not work with DVD as for all intents and purposes it reports as one session. As for accessing the data, when you create a Multisession DVD, if your drive is able to read it, then you will automatically see all the data contained on the DVD, regardless of how many times you've written to the DVD. So if you wrote 7 sessions in Multisesion mode, you will see all data written from each session, but it would appear as if it were one session. If your drive can not read a Multisession DVD, then you will not be able to read anything, not even the very first session. For that drive, the data is lost, bu not for other drives.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:27 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby AlienTech on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:54 am

Guess you need to change the readme's to indicate that DVD's will not work. I was searching for DVD multi-session and it shows me a page for CD?

http://www.ahead.de/en/Multimounter.html

Over the years Nero has shows lots of messages about "this will not work with...." :) Who even reads it after 5 years?


>>If your drive can not read a Multisession DVD, then you will not be able to read anything, not even the very first session.<<

Strange.. I have many disks, where I can only see the 1st session.. The last disk I could read all the data until I burnt another session at which point I could only read the data from the 1st session.. (liteon 812S)..
AlienTech
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:31 am

Postby CCampbell on Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:35 pm

[/quote]

Strange.. I have many disks, where I can only see the 1st session.. The last disk I could read all the data until I burnt another session at which point I could only read the data from the 1st session.. (liteon 812S)..[/quote]

I suspect you are referring to CD media, and you would be correct. I was only referring to DVD media used in Multisession.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:27 pm
Location: Glendale, CA


Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.