While Lite-On is focusing on DVD writers these days, they haven't given up on the CD-RW market yet. Lite-On has released some information on a new 53/32/52 CD-RW, the SOHC-5238S.
- The shortest physical drive length design, 170 mm only
- Innovated SMART-BURN technology to automatically check media quality and set limit to burning speed to ensure successful writing sessions & data retainability
- Buffer underrun error free & automatically adjust writing strategy plus running OPC to meet various burning condition
- SMART-X supporting high speed DAE & VCD extraction for copying
- VAS® ( Vibration Absorber System ) to reduce vibration & noise during recording & reading
- Support Fixed Packet, Variable Packet, TAO, SAO, DAO, Raw Mode Burning & Over-Burn
- Support formats of CD Family, CD-R & CD-RW discs ( up to 99 min. )
- Mt. Rainier Ready
While the SOHC-5238S's specs are similar to that of the LTR-52327S, the two drives use different chipsets. When the SOHC-5238S ships, it will be interesting to see how the two drives compare. More information on the drive can be found on Lite-On's website.
- Writing: 52x CAV
- ReWriting: 32x Z-CLV
- Read: 52x CAV, DAE Maximum Speed 48x CAV
- Access Time: 80 ms (typical)
- Buffer Size: 2MB
anyone notice the change in the naming scheme?
i would've expected it to be SOHC-52328S !
yeah, they changed LTR to SOHC but still, when in DVDs they changed LDW to SOHW they kept the format of the numbers the same, e.g. LDW-811S ... SOHW-812S.
besides, isn't SOHC the code of the line of combo drives not CDRW drives? SOHC-5232K
but then the previous combo was LTC-48161H...so maybe SOHC-5232K is consistent, just 4 digits and the 2nd 2 is a "generation" digit (1H, 2K etc.) and not part of the "32" which stands for 32x rewriting speed...so there is a new naming scheme...???