Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Do not add the ;1 ISO file version extension

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Do not add the ;1 ISO file version extension

Postby integspec on Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:42 am

Guys,

In Nero, in the ISO tab, what is the purpose of "Do not add the ;1 ISO file version extension" function? (I beleive this applies to old drives?) Also does anyone know any hack to keep this thing enabled all the the time?

Thanks a lot.
Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty. - Richard Lovelace
integspec
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:13 am

It does just what it says: causes Nero to not add the normal ;x file version to the end of the filename. The ISO 9660 specification requires that each filename include a ;x version number as the suffix. A full filename in ISO 9660 has three parts:

<name>.<extension>;<version>

Presumably the version part was designed to allow multiple versions of the same file to coexist.

Anyway, most operating systems simply ignore the ISO file version and just display the normal name.extension part (at least Windows and Mac OS do, although on Mac OS you can view the version if you press and hold the option key while mounting the CD). Thus, you don't need to worry that if Nero includes the version number it will show up in Windows Explorer or the Mac's Finder, and you don't need a hack to permanently enable the "Do not add..." checkbox in Nero. In fact, it might be better to leave it as is since the OS expects the version number to be there so it can ignore it. :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby integspec on Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:20 am

Thanks a lot, Cfitz. I did many searches regarding this one but couldn't find a proper explanation for it.

Thanks again.
Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty. - Richard Lovelace
integspec
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:00 am

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dburg on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:45 pm

This option is here to make end-user able to create bootable medias with Microsoft NT bootloader, the one of NT4/2k/XP installation media (I did not test with Server 2003) as this bootloader does not support the ;1 ISO file version extension.
David Burg
Software Development, InCD Project Manager

Nero AG - Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad - Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299 http://www.nero.com
dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:42 pm

Thanks for the tip, dburg.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mc_365 on Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:53 pm

Thaks for the explination of this guys. I have been wondering what that was for a while. A like one of you said "you may want to leave it uncheked" is probably correct. I had a problem that was attributed to that check even though I didn't know exactly what it was for. I burn mp3s to disk and play them on my modified XBOX in a open source app called XBMP "X Box Media Player". Being a Homebrew app it is quite buggy. But thats half the fun is getting it to work. Any how when I burn my disc with that box checked the media player would cut off the last character in the file name so <filename>.m3u would be <filename>.m3 cuasing me a slight headache. I figured it was that box but I didn't know why such a thing existed.

Knowlege is power.
mc_365
Buffer Underrun

Re: Do not add the ;1 ISO file version extension

Postby Howard Kaikow on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:17 am

integspec wrote:Guys,

In Nero, in the ISO tab, what is the purpose of "Do not add the ;1 ISO file version extension" function? (I beleive this applies to old drives?) Also does anyone know any hack to keep this thing enabled all the the time?

Thanks a lot.

Not including the File Version Number results in media not conforming to ISO 9660, which exposes one to the risk of standard conforming ISO 9660 compliant implementations not reading the media correctly.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)