Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Odd rings on DVD-Rs from 1693S

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Odd rings on DVD-Rs from 1693S

Postby Nogib on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:49 pm

Lite-On SOHW-1693S

Original drive would always give me a "session fixation error" when trying to write the lead-out so I exchanged it. New drive arrived yesterday. No burning problems and the discs scan amazingly well with kprobe, but I am seeing some faint rings of gradual transitions to light and dark on my discs every 1/4 inch or so on the outer half of the discs. I've used various media such as TYG02, TTG02, and even some crap Princos. And at varying speeds too. Being that the speeds I'm recording at are done via P-CAV and CLV, there should be no visible signs in the recorded dye at all. Original drive with the lead-out problem certainly didn't do it. The same media in a Plextor drive doesn't do it either. But like I said, the kprobe scans are exceptional and I have no problem reading the data off the discs.

Is this a known problem with Lite-On drives? Anyone know what is causing it? I really want to like Lite-On (esp since their drives fit into my Shuttle so nicely due to their shorter length) but I'm not relishing having to spend another nearly $6 to send back something that was only $50 to begin with. This cheap drive is quickly becoming a bad deal with the wasted shipping and wasted media in checking it out thoroughly. Any advice guys?
Nogib
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers