Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Older CD-RW media works in old drive but not in new drive

Burn baby burn!

Older CD-RW media works in old drive but not in new drive

Postby Hugh Jass on Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:20 am

I have several older CD-RW discs (Memorex 2X media) that I formatted, created and wrote to with my Dell Latitude C610 Notebook, which has the Samsung SN-308B CDRW-DVD (24x/8x/8x) combo drive. Those disks continue to be formatted, read and written to fine in that laptop and drive - using both DirectCD AND the built-in Windows CD writing tools.

I just purchased a new Dell 8250 which comes with the new Samsung SM-348B (48x/24x/16x) combo drive, and I am having problems with the SAME media that works fine in the other drive:

With DirectCD:

The new drive recognizes those same older disks fromatted by the older computer, and I can read the data written by my older computer. I can even use the new drive to write to the older media. However, I can't FORMAT the same older CD-RW disks in the new drive. During the DirectCD format, I get error messages, and the format quits. Again, though, I can format those same discs successfully in my older computer!

With the built-in Windows CD writing tools:

It recognizes the same disk/media as a CD-RW, but on some of the disks it won't read the data (shows disk as blank), and writes to the media don't "take" - always shows as blank.

The new drive works fine with newer, high speed media, but I really need to get it to format, read and write to these older disks!

I am running Windows XP on both machines, with all updates applied, and the latest Easy CD Creator/DirectCD 5.3 including the patch from the Dell Web site...

Can anyone help?
Hugh Jass
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:20 am

personally i would stay away from Window's burning capabilities and use a burning application such as Easy CD Creator or Nero.

before trying to format an already formatted disc with DirectCD, i would suggest first ERASING the CDRW disc. Easy CD Creator lets you do this. do a Full Erase (not a Quick one). after that try to format the disc with DirectCD.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby jase on Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:49 pm

This might be a hopeless persuit, I'm afraid.

Writing to low-speed discs with a high-speed writer can sometimes cause problems if they've been written to by a lower-speed writer first. The older writers tended to be less accurate and the pits sometimes wider and less well formed than a newer writer would deliver.

One possible solution would be to do a FULL erase of the media with the older writer, then attempt a format/write operation on the newer one. No guarantees but it can sort this kind of problem out. It's similar in principle (though the underlying reasons are different) to writing a low-density 5.25" floppy with a high-density drive after a low-density drive has been at it. Very unreliable.
jase
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives