Home News Reviews Forums Shop

PLDS To Introduce World's First BD-ROM In December

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

PLDS To Introduce World's First BD-ROM In December

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:01 pm

Wow.. PLDS (Philips Lite-On Digital Solutions) is finally shipping their BD-ROM drive. I was hoping that it would be cheaper than £125 ($258US) but its cheaper than getting a writer.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/blogs/index. ... &blogid=18

The world’s first internal Blu-ray high-definition DVD drive is set to go on sale next month. Costing an estimated £125, the DH-401S is being pitched as an ideal Christmas present for PC fans keen to get into HD.

PLDS (Philips Lite-On Digital Solutions) says the world’s first BD-ROM (Blu-ray DVD-ROM) drive will be a versatile read-only device capable of reading every major optical disc type. As well as Blu-ray discs, the PLDS DH-401S will be able to access and read content from any DVD+/-R and DVD+/-RW drive and any type of CD-R/RW media.

Jelmer Veldman, marketing manager for PLDS Europe, explained that because it is a read-only device, the Philips-Lite-On partnership was able to keep retail costs down. They hope the probably price tag of £125 will entice consumers to swap their existing PC CD-ROM drives for the DH-401S Blu-ray drive.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:55 pm

It'll probably have a cheaper MSRP for North America... most things do. I can't imagine it selling for more then $200 USD (~$195 CAD :wink: ) .
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jsl on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:42 pm

It's listed at Amazon for $184. In Germany it's listed from about €125 http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=blurom

BTW, should it be a O or 0 (zero) in the model name (DH-401S or DH-4O1S)?
jsl
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:35 pm

jsl wrote:BTW, should it be a O or 0 (zero) in the model name (DH-401S or DH-4O1S)?

According to the info I have, it should be DH-4O1S with an O.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Picture of the DH-4O1S courtesy of the BDA.
Attachments
Lite-On DH-4O1S.png
Lite-On DH-4O1S.png (171.61 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:17 pm

Whoa... interesting appearance with that grate-like drive tray front.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:46 pm

I got confirmation from Lite-On today that the DH-4O1S will ship in the US the first week of December and will cost about $199.99. Still a bit more expensive than I'd like, but its better than $258.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vio_man on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Too expensive for a read-only drive, and we don't even know which format will win. I wouldn't bet my money on Blu-Ray :-?
vio_man
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:27 pm

PHILIPS & LITE-ON DIGITAL SOLUTIONS (PLDS) INTRODUCE
ITS FIRST BLU-RAY DISC READER (BD-ROM)

New Drive Offers Affordable Price Point and Ability to
Playback High-Definition Movies on Your PC

Fremont, CA. – November 13, 2007 – Philips & Lite-On Digital Solutions (PLDS) USA, proudly introduce its first internal BD-ROM (Blu-ray Disc Reader) drive to the market. The new Lite-On DH-4O1S is the perfect all-in-one disc reading device for most popular media formats including Blu-ray Disc, DVD and CD discs. The DH-4O1S Blu-ray BD-ROM drive will be available at retail outlets in late November with an affordable suggested list price of $199.99.

“With the increasing availability of Blu-ray Disc movies and other video content, consumers now have an affordable way to view the brilliant picture quality Blu-ray technology offers right on their personal computers,” says Christine Hsing, Marketing Manager at PLDS. “Beyond that, the BD-ROM can serve as a playback device to their HD TVs by connecting an HDMI cable from the PC to the TV. This would save consumers hundreds of dollars on the purchase of a standalone Blu-ray player solely for that purpose,” Ms. Hsing added.

The DH-4O1S BD-ROM retail pack comes with an extra silver bezel to match some computers, and a SATA cable for easy connection. Also included in the package is the latest Cyberlink Power DVD software for playback of Blu-ray disc media, DVD, or CD multi-media content.

The drive's Serial ATA (SATA) interface eliminates potential information and performance “bottlenecking” by offering at least 150 MB/s information transfer rate. It reads BD-R/RE/ROM, Single-layer or Double-layer media at 4X maximum. Single Layer DVD ±R or DVD-ROM can be read at 12X max, while Double Layer DVD±R and Single Layer DVD±RW can be read at 8X max. CD-R/RW/ROM has a maximum read speed of 32X.

About PLDS
PLDS (Philips & Lite-On Digital Solutions) is a joint venture between Royal Philips Electronics and Lite-On IT Corporation that is responsible for the sales and marketing of Lite-On branded Optical Disc Drive (ODD) business. The combination of a strong R&D focus and access to enormous production capacity makes PLDS an industry leading company. PLDS is dedicated to excellence and devote best efforts to further expand innovative quality product offerings for the PC industry and strengthen its top global position in the ODD industry.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:28 pm

vio_man wrote:I wouldn't bet my money on Blu-Ray :-?

My money is on HD VMD!

What the hell every happened to that format?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:32 am

It's coming next month supposedly (delayed til Dec 15th). :lol:
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:10 pm

It's in stock at Newegg for $189.99. It looks like it includes the BD edition of PowerDVD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827106227
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives