Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Plextor Reaffirms Commitment To Optical Disc Drive Business

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Plextor Reaffirms Commitment To Optical Disc Drive Business

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:44 pm

PLEXTOR REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO OPTICAL DISC DRIVE BUSINESS

New Product Development and Retail Sales to Continue

FREMONT, Calif. - January 23, 2007 - Plextor® LLC, a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media equipment, today reaffirmed its commitment to the optical disc drive business in North and South America. On January 19, 2007, Shinano Kenshi Co., Ltd., the parent company of Plextor, announced plans to perform a corporate reorganization to streamline Plextor's optical drive business to enhance operating efficiencies.

"This announcement by Shinano Kenshi will have no material affect on the operations of Plextor LLC, as we already completed a corporate reorganization in North and South America last year. Our business will continue as usual," said Toru Nakazawa, President of Plextor LLC, USA. "It is unfortunate that an incorrect translation of a Japanese article, which contained some errors, has led to the rumor that Plextor is somehow quitting the optical disc drive business. This is completely false. In fact, Plextor plans to continue to lead the market with innovative, exciting products that solve real world problems for our consumer and business customers. We deeply appreciate the loyalty of our customers and valued business partners. And we look forward to many years of future success."

About Plextor
Plextor LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media equipment for professionals, consumers, and enterprises. Headquartered in Silicon Valley since 1990, Plextor has introduced generations of award-winning products, including digital video converters and CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, and Blu-ray optical disk drives. Contact Plextor at www.plextor.com.

###

Plextor and the Plextor logo are registered trademarks of Shinano Kenshi Kabushiki Kaisha. Other brands and products are trademarks of their respective holder/s.

--
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks for posting this Ian. It's humorous that they said it was a "mistranslation". The person that informed me of the news is Japanese, so I'm sure he understood the article correctly. It could have been that the Japanese newspaper reported it incorrectly, but it wasn't a mistranslation.

Also, don't forget that Plextor Japan's direct online shop sold out of most of their ODD's after this news hit.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:02 pm

Wesociety wrote: It could have been that the Japanese newspaper reported it incorrectly, but it wasn't a mistranslation.

I'm betting that's what it is. All of the other reports I've read have been VERY similar (in some cases word for word) to the original one.

I've asked Plextor for a bit more info. Mistranslation or not, they're still scaling back their business. I can't imagine that they're going to be able to continue to deliver the innovative drives we've come to expect from them.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SkaarjMaster on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:29 pm

Good marketing strategy to sell their drives anyway.;) Now BenQ will come forward with the same announcement.:) ...BenQ, hello, BenQ, anyone there?;)
MSI (unnamed laptop): GS75 Stealth 95F, Pioneer BDR-XD07B
SKAARJ-LAPTOP: Asus G750JW-NH71
SKAARJMASTERDUO: WinXPSP3,C2D E8600,Gigabyte EP45-UD3P,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:10 pm

It sounds like we'll be seeing rebadged Lite-On's in the near future..

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20070124PD213.html

Lite-On IT has also landed PC-use DVD burner orders from Japan-based Plextor, following Plextor's plan to suspend its own PC-use DVD drive business, according to industry sources. The speculation about Lite-On IT spurred the company's share price to reach NT$29.45 on January 24, up NT$1.9 from the January 23 closing price. Some industry watchers, however, said the landed ordered amounts should be limited.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby 2Dogs on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:45 pm

.....perhaps one day all burners will be Lite-Ons..... and there will be no need to test or review drives any more. :roll:
KHypermedia 8x4x12 (BenQ 800 clone) B2L7 BenQ DW1655 BCIB BenQ DW1650 BCIC Samsung SH-S182M KC03 LG GSA-H22N 1:01 TDB Lite-On SHM-165H6S HS0E Pioneer DVR-111D 1.29
2Dogs
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 pm

2Dogs wrote:.....perhaps one day all burners will be Lite-Ons..... and there will be no need to test or review drives any more. :roll:

Well, Samsung drives are still going pretty strong. I think we'll end up with Pioneer, Samsung, and LiteON in the end.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:22 am

I would say ending up with:
Foxconn, Samsung, LG, Lite On and maybe some chinese compannies for the next years.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers