Home News Reviews Forums Shop

I have a simple question regarding installing a new OS.

Anything else

I have a simple question regarding installing a new OS.

Postby StarKnightGoku on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:24 am

Going from 98SE to XP, using an XP full version, will I, or will I not, lose the data on my hard drive?

I've never installed a new OS, and the only times I've had to reinstall 98 are when I used a quick restore disk to clean up my HD.
StarKnightGoku
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:46 am

If you do an "upgrade install", you won't lose your data. However, I don't recommend doing an "upgrade" because this just causes XP to have problems (driver issues and stuff like that). I'm not sure if doing a "clean install" will leave your data intact or not. My recommendation is to back up your data onto CDs (or something else is fine, too) and then do a "clean install" of WinXP.

BTW, in case you are wondering how you can know whether or not you're doing a "clean install" or an "upgrade install", those are both options which Windows gives you when you start the installation process.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby tazdevl on Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:55 pm

StarKnightGoku wrote:Going from 98SE to XP, using an XP full version, will I, or will I not, lose the data on my hard drive?

I've never installed a new OS, and the only times I've had to reinstall 98 are when I used a quick restore disk to clean up my HD.

CDRecorder wrote:If you do an "upgrade install", you won't lose your data. However, I don't recommend doing an "upgrade" because this just causes XP to have problems (driver issues and stuff like that). I'm not sure if doing a "clean install" will leave your data intact or not. My recommendation is to back up your data onto CDs (or something else is fine, too) and then do a "clean install" of WinXP.

What he said.

Clean install will wipe everything clean. Back up your data, delete the existing partition, recreate it in its maximum size and do a full format in NTFS.

All of these options are available after you hit F8 @ the EULA (except the backing up the data part).

Upgrade installs always leave behind DLLs, reg keys etc... to cause problems. It will not be as stable as a clean install. Not to mention, if you're space constrained, it leaves a lot of stuff behind that needlessly takes up space.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby StarKnightGoku on Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:01 pm

Thanks guys
StarKnightGoku
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:36 pm

You're welcome. :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to General Software Questions