Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can a CD Copy be "verified" against the orginal?

Burn baby burn!

Can a CD Copy be "verified" against the orginal?

Postby padster on Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:54 pm

When burning FILES to a CD, Nero can verify by doing a compare against the originals .

But I don't see a facility to verify against the original when burning a COPY of a CD.

The only way I can think of is to use CDCheck to see if there is a CRC error on the copy. This should be pretty good but it's just not the same.

Anyone know how to copy a CD and then verify it against the orginal?
padster
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:32 pm

You can't with CD copy,you have to drag-n-drop the files to your desktop first.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:45 pm

There's a program called "CD Check" that someone here referred me to.

It can do a bit by bit comparison, but it takes a long time to do for each CD.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby padster on Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:57 pm

burninfool wrote:You can't with CD copy,you have to drag-n-drop the files to your desktop first.

Yes but this won't do bootable CDs like say XP (or WILL it?)

Action Jackson: I already mentioned CDCheck as what I'm doing in the meantime. Also, it's pretty quick. It'll check a full CD in like 2 minutes or less if you have a fast reader. The trouble is that an error can creep in that satisfies a CRC check and you'll not know you've had a corruption.
padster
Buffer Underrun

Postby padster on Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:40 am

Gee, so NOBODY makes a reliable CD copying program (i.e. one that has "verify")???
padster
Buffer Underrun

Postby robertb on Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:13 pm

well there are programs like Beyond Compare which are fle comparison programs.
I tried this program and it was excellent.
Generally it will compare two folders or two files or even two drives and tell you if any of the files are different.
It is fast too.
So if you had two CD drives and used this program to compare the copied Cd it ought to pick up if a file was missing from the copied CD.
I don't know how deep this program goes on it's comparisons but it is certainly great if you have downloaded a couple of files and are wondering if they really are the same.
I certainly know the problem you are describing and have already been disappointed a few times by CD's containing backed up files which are visible on a CD but just refuse to copy back to the hard drive when I need them.
robertb
CD-RW Thug

Postby padster on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:27 am

I've been through the heartbreak you describe too. Nowadays, my DEFAULT Nero setting is to Compare. Too many cheap CD blanks out there, too many cheap drives out there. Too many damned marketing people coercing engineers to design drives that burn at ridiculous speeds.

While comparing doesn't guarantee that the data will not evaporate later due to poor quality media, at least one knows that immediately after a burn, at least the data on the CD is ok [well, to be technically anal about it, at least it is readable on THAT BURNER].

But what about a CD-Copy? Unless you do a CD-to-CD copy, Nero and others write out an image file to the hard drive first. Surely AFTER the burn portion of the CD-copy and BEFORE Nero erases the image copy, WHY CAN'T IT DO A COMPARE ON THE IMAGE FILE AND THE BURNT CD!!!

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, but jeez, this is such a basic omission!
padster
Buffer Underrun

Postby Alejandra on Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:47 pm

padster wrote:But what about a CD-Copy? Unless you do a CD-to-CD copy, Nero and others write out an image file to the hard drive first. Surely AFTER the burn portion of the CD-copy and BEFORE Nero erases the image copy, WHY CAN'T IT DO A COMPARE ON THE IMAGE FILE AND THE BURNT CD!!!

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, but jeez, this is such a basic omission!

Yes, for us (paranoic people) Nero should check image file against the original CD, then check the burned CD against image file, and at last check the burned CD against the original CD. :o
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:00 pm

padster wrote:The only way I can think of is to use CDCheck to see if there is a CRC error on the copy. This should be pretty good but it's just not the same.

CDCheck can do a bit-by-bit comparison, not just a CRC32 check.
so if you compare 2 data CDs with the Compare process in CDCheck and the result is OK no errors, that means the the discs are bitwise identical (at the OS level, not at lower levels on the CD such as EFM or whatnot).

this is what i do and i find it good enough.

padster wrote:Yes but this won't do bootable CDs like say XP (or WILL it?) ... The trouble is that an error can creep in that satisfies a CRC check and you'll not know you've had a corruption.

yes it will, it's still a data CD.
once again, you should do a Compare process, not a Check (CRC verification) process.

Alejandra wrote:Yes, for us (paranoic people) Nero should check image file against the original CD, then check the burned CD against image file, and at last check the burned CD against the original CD. :o

you can do this, but if it's a Nero image you have to mount it first (Nero DriveImage?), but i don't see the point of comparing the source or result disc with the Nero Image.
just compare with CDCheck the original CD against the copied CD.

padster wrote:Sorry if that sounded like a rant, but jeez, this is such a basic omission!

i agree. it's a scandal!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Alejandra on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:34 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Alejandra wrote:Yes, for us (paranoic people) Nero should check image file against the original CD, then check the burned CD against image file, and at last check the burned CD against the original CD. :o

i agree. it's a scandal!

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:24 pm

LOL
i'm one of those paranoid people...and i have in the past done such multiple cross-checking!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives