Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Does this cd-rw drive never stop spinning?

Burn baby burn!

Does this cd-rw drive never stop spinning?

Postby johnoh on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:17 pm

I picked up this 52x24x52 cd-rw drive made by "Exact Peripheral Optics". It works well enough but anytime there is a CD in the drive the drive never fully spins down as I can hear it in there spinning slowly. When you access it, it speeds up to full speed, but then returns to the slow spin. I am trying to figure out if I am stuck with this or is there perhaps a way to get the drive to fully stop when there is a CD in the drive.

I tried using the Nero CD Speed tool but it does not seem to have an effect. It says the current drive spin down time is 2 min, and will not accept a change to that time. And the drive does not appear to do anything different 2 minutes after an access anyway.

Any help is much appreciated.
johnoh
Buffer Underrun

Postby robertb on Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:17 pm

I had a cheap CD-Rom drive and also a washing machine with the same symptoms.
I couldn't solve the problem on either apart from taking the disk and the washing out.
Sorry for the silly (true reply) and hope someone can give you a better answer :D
robertb
CD-RW Thug

Postby pranav81 on Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:58 am

Wow!!A washing machine not stopping the spin cycle? :wink:
By the way I too have seen some CD-ROM's having the same "problem" on a machine manufactured by Vintron Industries Ltd. here in India.I dont remember the name of the CD-ROM,but it had same problem.But the CD-ROM is still working fine after 2 years of operation.I think thats the problem with "cheap" devices.
See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives