Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Anyone using Deep Burner?

Burn baby burn!

Anyone using Deep Burner?

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:14 am

Just what the title says...
For those that don't know, Deep Burner is a free CD/DVD burning program. Get it here: www.deepburner.com. Ignore what it says on the web page; it can only do auido CD's, and data CD/DVD's (for now anyway). It doesn't do CD-Text, and doesn't look like it can do UDF file systems, which rules out DVD-Video. But not a bad start, especially for a freeware program. I hate to say this, but it's far more mature and simpler to install/setup than K3b.

Downloaded and tried it. Works fine, if a little "feature-challenged". If they add CD-Text & HD-BURN I can ditch Nero 6 but still be able to use NVE2! That'd be so nice. Right now it's Nero->ISO->DVD Decrypter for CDs/DVDs. But Deep Burn seems to work perfectly, so I might just start using it full time. Can't be any buggier than Nero 6...

Ya know, HD-BURN support for K3b would solve some problems for me, too.
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:29 am

man, aren't you a Linux user?
then why are you using Windowz progs for burning?
why not use some front-end for cdrecord, or better: cdrecord-ProDVD ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:32 pm

Yeah, I'm a Linux user. I use K3b under Linux for CD's. It doesn't like my DVD Burner though, and it doesn't support HD-BURN. For HD-BURN I gotta use Windows. Either Nero 5.5 or CopyToDVD. Nero 6 is too buggy. And it does REALLY annoy me having to use Windows to burn ANYTHING! :evil:
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:48 pm

is there NO Linux burning app that supports HD-Burn ?

anyway, as for Deep Burner, i think i've stumbled upon it, that it was mentioned in the burnatonce forums. not favorably as i recall, but then that place isn't all that objective!

why don't you contact Jörg Schilling the author of cdrecord and cdrecord-ProDVD and ask him to add HD-Burn support?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/cdrecord/
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BurninMan921 on Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:33 pm

Hmm...I see my last post didn't show up. Been having problems with Firebird since I tried to install Firefox :(

No, there isn't any Linux burning app that can do HD-BURN, GigaRec, or Sony's DD-CD's. Considering there's only a handful of burners that can do any of those, it's not that surprising. Plus the fact the the companies (Sanyo/Optorite, mostly) really don't push these technologies much just doesn't help.

Ah well...sent an e-mail to the author of cdrecord about hd-burn. Time to wait-and-see.

There are still a few things I can't do in Linux...for example, there is nothing like Nero Vision Express or DVD-Shrink (yet!!). It's still a dual-boot world :(
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives