Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:47 pm

The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.
"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:48 pm

I like the SE version of the trilogy, but a number of die hard fans that are already bitching because we're not getting the original films. Personally, I wouldn't mind if we got some new footage on these... like Chewie beating the living crap out of Jar Jar.

Thoughts on this?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Boone on Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:20 pm

guido better shoot first.
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:24 pm

Guido? It's Greedo. They aren't making an Italian version of Star Wars.

I like it better when Han shot first. Damn PC Star Wars fans...
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby burninfool on Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:45 pm

Ian wrote:Guido? It's Greedo. They aren't making an Italian version of Star Wars.
I like it better when Han shot first. Damn PC Star Wars fans...

:D

I already backed up my Star Wars VHS trilogy to DVD,I know it's not Dolby 5.1 but Lucas isn't getting anymore of my money....until ep.III is released. :wink:
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:42 pm

I really, REALLY hate it when people bitch about how a non Star Wars: SE version should be released. The Special Edition in every way better than the original. You'd have to be an idiot to want a non-SE Star Wars triliogy. Damn morons :evil: Sorry, venting a little. It sure is about damn time that the original trilogy is going to be released on DVD. I wonder why Indiana Jones got released first. Hmm...
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:40 am

I'm just glad that Hasbro is rereleasing updated versions of the retro toys. I can't wait until Toy Fair next week.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hoxlund on Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:41 am

burninfool wrote:Lucas isn't getting anymore of my money....until ep.III is released. :wink:

haha lucas arts never got any of my money to begin with, and i own every format of the star wars right now: Laser Disc to DVD, VHS
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:04 am

Finally some GOOD Star Wars DVD's!!

New scene sugestion for Lucas:
Throw Jar-Jar into the sand-pit thingie from Jedi...or a tragic light sabre accident...or Jar Jar opens the airlock: "Opps! That wasn't the bathroom!"...
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:41 am

I'm SO buying those! I don't really care for the SE anyway, but hey,it's cool.I just got the X-Wing Lego, and it is awesome!
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:30 am

bhairavp wrote:I don't really care for the SE anyway, but hey,it's cool.I just got the X-Wing Lego, and it is awesome!

ditto! on both counts!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Boone on Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:04 am

Boba_Fett wrote:I really, REALLY hate it when people bitch about how a non Star Wars: SE version should be released. The Special Edition in every way better than the original. You'd have to be an idiot to want a non-SE Star Wars triliogy. Damn morons :evil: Sorry, venting a little. It sure is about damn time that the original trilogy is going to be released on DVD. I wonder why Indiana Jones got released first. Hmm...

I *love* the special effects Lucas added, but I don't like some of the massive changes (like that greedo thing I mentioned above). Han Solo is a scoundrel, and therefore would shoot someone in cold blood. And Greedo is handy with a pistol, and therefore would not miss from 36 inches.

Too Long; Didn't Read version:
1) Special Effects: good
2) altering the events: bad
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:18 am

Actually... (puts on Star Wars nerd Jedi robes) ....Greedo sucks as a bounty hunter. If you're familiar with some of the Expanded Universe stuff (books, etc), he's actually very new to the bounty hunter trade.

At least its not like ET where they changed all the guns into radios.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:11 am

why don't they just put both version of the film into the DVD set?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby JamieW on Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:26 am

God, SE is so not better than the original. What was better? Not Greedo shooting first. Not Jabba in the hangar. Not the unnecessary Vader walking on the platform in Cloud City. And definitely not the extended Jabba's palace scene. In fact, the extended Jabba's palace scene is the only time in Star Wars where someone acknowledges the camera. It was then that I realized Lucas was insane.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:31 pm

JamieW wrote:God, SE is so not better than the original. What was better? Not Greedo shooting first. Not Jabba in the hangar. Not the unnecessary Vader walking on the platform in Cloud City. And definitely not the extended Jabba's palace scene. In fact, the extended Jabba's palace scene is the only time in Star Wars where someone acknowledges the camera. It was then that I realized Lucas was insane.

I totally agree. The Star Wars prequals just suck suck suck!!

Star Wars II, the Clone wars or whatever it's called, was the WORST movie I've ever seen.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:03 pm

The prequels are poopy. Even though the universe involved is larger, the scope of the story has narrowed and shifted its focus away from the very dramatic scope of the original three. Then you add in the horrible acting from no name actors and some name actors with poorly constructed scenes (story wise) and you realize Lucas is an effects and concept man. Not a man who executes the story well. It is also much more bang and flash now whereas before there were very dynamic character interactions which were understandable. How the heck did Padme fall in love with Anakin? Anyone? Because I missed that part. Maybe it was the "frolicking" in the meadows. Best part of all the movies was when the muppet fought Count Chocula. And from what I hear, the third one is going to be totally racists. I heard Mace Windu dies in a drug bust.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Ian on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:41 pm

I heard Boba Fett does a drive by on his ass.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:56 pm

JamieW wrote:Best part of all the movies was when the muppet fought Count Chocula.

ROTFLMAO.
my god, JamieW, what would we do without you here.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:08 pm

some more news on the Trilogy on DVD.
look out, i'm spoiling part III here - you get to find out who becomes the emperor!

http://bbspot.com/News/2004/02/star_wars_dvds.html
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:30 pm

Ian
Grand Poobah