Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Quit my job today feeling good about it

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Quit my job today feeling good about it

Postby wicked1 on Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:14 pm

I have been working almost 100 hrs a week for the last few weeks and not getting paid very well for it.I quit this morning.I feel good about it because I got a call yesterday offering me another armed guard position. It pays $16 an hour.I have worked security for over 4 yrs with GM/Securitas so I got the higher wages. Normal pay is $13.50 I am very happy right now.Will be able to buy more toys and I will get another gun.WOOHOO :D
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:06 pm

...........I will get another gun.WOOHOO

Slim
Who strongly supports the 2nd Ammendment.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:54 am

CowboySlim wrote:Slim
Who strongly supports the 2nd Ammendment.

Wiz
Who is strongly against Conceal & Carry
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:04 am

aviationwiz wrote:Wiz

Oh yes, the young and naive. I have to warn you "Wiz", JamieW will probably unleash holy hell on you for that comment.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:15 am

Wiz

I agree, Wiz, only criminals and convicted felons need to conceal.

The lawful citizenry should be allowed to carry openly everywhere (except where alcohol is consumed).

Constitutional Note: The Second doesn't address concealment.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Re: Quit my job today feeling good about it

Postby DawnLoader on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:16 am

wicked1 wrote:I have been working almost 100 hrs a week for the last few weeks and not getting paid very well for it.I quit this morning.I feel good about it because I got a call yesterday offering me another armed guard position. It pays $16 an hour.I have worked security for over 4 yrs with GM/Securitas so I got the higher wages. Normal pay is $13.50 I am very happy right now.Will be able to buy more toys and I will get another gun.WOOHOO :D

Good for you and congratulations!
DawnLoader
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:19 am

At least here in WI, you can technically carry out in the open. Unfortunately, the law would probably slap you with a "disturbing the peace" fine and beat you like Rodney King if you ever did decide to do it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:48 am

Time for my once-weekly drop in-and what better thread than this? Nice sometimes to have friends w/PC's!

Congrats on the new job, wicked1! Any plans for you new "toys"? I decided on a 5" Springfield XD .40, but can't find anyone with one in stock. May give up and get my CZ Magnum "thumper" I want. A .458 Lott would sure get everyone's attention at the range!

Aviationwiz, are you anti-gun or just anti-concealed carry/pro open carry? Hope you're not "the enemy" (ie, an "anti").

I live in an open-carry state (Indiana), but I've never actually seen anyone do open-carry excepts cops and security guards. People are to uptight now. They see a gun, they freak. To them, gun=bad guy (or terrorist, in this post-9/11 world). The only reason I don't do open carry :( Now, if this were Texas...

Wait...sorry. Texas is concealed carry ONLY I think (Wow...Indiana, more "pro-gun" than Texas!?!?)...

A friend of mine who was a security guard got kicked out of Wal-Mart for having his gun out in the open. He was in a uniform, too (other than the slightly different badge, he looked like a cop).
Wal-Mart is VERY anti-gun; which is why I hate them so much. When I do go in there, I do carry my gun; a few of the employee's there who know me know I have it and don't really care. They don't have any no-gun signs posted, so in the words of Bender, they can "Kiss my shiny metal a$$". Not that it is metal :wink: No sign, nothing they can legally do.

And for those who are against normal, everyday people carrying weapons: we always hope that we'll never need them. Better to have and not need than need and not have. Say someone tries to force their way into your house, when you, your wife and kids are all home. It takes the cops 5-10+ minutes to get to your house after you call 911. It takes me less than 2 seconds (on a really bad day) to draw my weapon.
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:49 am

For all the gun people:
To PETA, with Love:

God, I love that picture! :) :P 8)
Last edited by BurninMan921 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:50 am

Hey, I know that WI. When I lived in Chicago I went through WI on the way to visit my aunt, who lived about a mile or two down the road from where Wiz now lives.

Small world, eh?

Slim
Who no way would go into the North Woods during deer season. Who also knows that ice fishing from a hut is just another place to get plastered away from the wife who won't let you get plastered at home.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:14 am

I picked up 2 pistols this week at a gun show. A CZ-52 and a Davis-.380(dont laugh it was 40 bux and it actually works) I have my eye on a springfield 1911 in 45 super.I want to get a 44 mag or 454 casull revolver too after the springfield.Love the PETA pic. I saved that.
edit: I too live in Indiana and have tried to carry in the open before and everyone was staring so I just stick to concealed carry everywhere I go. Back in the begining of Jan a guy tried to jump me. I was very glad I had my colt on me. Stopped him in his tracks.Police arrested him that night as he was on the run.
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:21 am

Tell me, wiz, why are you against conceal carry? I know Minn recently passed concealed carry and the media ran all sorts of "blood flowing in the streets" stories. Unfortunately for them, no problems have arisen. One fundamental problem with you being "against conceal carry" is that any legislation you would seek passed would be ignored by those who you don't want to carry. I carry every single day. It has saved me on one occasion. So, please, elaborate on being against conceal carry.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:22 am

Skip the .44 Magnum; get the .454! I have a Ruger .454 Casull Super Redhawk, and it's a blast! Biggest downside is the recoil; makes a .50AE Desert Eagle feel like a 9mm. It has no muzzle flip at all.

Winchester has a 250gr JHP load that is about the same power as a .44 Magnum; it's a blast to shoot, with hardly any recoil. PMC has a great 300gr JSP .45 Colt +P load, that's about equal to the .50 AE in terms of power. Haven't shoot it yet, though (can't find it anywhere. $33 for a 50 round box).

Have fun with your new toys! Personally, I'd skip the .45 Super and grab a 10mm (Kimber or Glock! The Glocks got a 15-round mag, though. Get your ultra-hot 10mm ammo here: www.doubletapammo.com)!

Glad you liked the pick :)
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:22 am

BTW, wicked, the CZ is a good get. What else do you have?
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby JamieW on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:24 am

Dude, I was looking at getting a G20, but then I saw the price of the 15 round magazines. I'm hoping the ban will sunset, then I will get the G20. Dan Wesson is soon to release a compact bobtailed 10mm which I am very interested in. Unfortunately, I don't think the 1911 platform can stand up to the 10mm abuse like a Glock can.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby wicked1 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:29 am

I have the following:
Jennings 22
Colt 1911 45 (from 1930's)
Desert Eagle 50
HiPoint 45
CZ 52
Davis 380
Makarov 9x18
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:36 am

I have shot the glock 20 and didnt like the way it fit my hand. The delta elite I shot I liked alot though. Those 230gr equalizer bullets are making me think of getting a 10mm instead of the 45 super :)
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:46 am

Man, that's an...odd...collection.

My collection goes:

Kel-tec P32
Bersa Thunder .380
Glock 19
Dan Wesson 1911
Smith & Wession 686 4"
Ruger GP-100 4"
Taurus 905 (9mm 5 shot snub revolver with bobbed hammer)
Taurus .22 mag 7-1/2" barrel
Ruger Bisley Vaquero .22 color cased blue with ivory grip

That's all but one of the handguns. Recently sold off a Smith & Wesson 637, Smith & Wesson 422, Smith & Wesson Sigma .380, and Baby Eagle Compact .40.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:49 pm

JamieW wrote:Tell me, wiz, why are you against conceal carry? I know Minn recently passed concealed carry and the media ran all sorts of "blood flowing in the streets" stories.

I don't like weapons like guns being availible for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to carry around at thier own will. Now you have to have a special sign up if you do not want people carrying guns around in that building, which I do not see too many of. I noticed that after Conceal & Carry was passed, the Mall of America of course added the no gun sign, and stationed armed police at each entrance to try and see who has a gun, and to arrest them. Another incident since Conceal & Carry was passed, was that the first school shooting ever in Minnesota history happened soon after Conceal & Carry was passed, why? because guns are much easier to obtain now with this law than before. I also read that it's legal to carry a gun in a school, or a court-house parking lot, WTF, that should be illegal, but it is permitted via Conceal & Carry. A Court House shooting also happened soon after Conceal & Carry was passed, once again, because of Conceal & Carry, the guns are easier to obtain, leading up to the two events I mentioned above. I also remember someone who had a Conceal & Carry License, and thought it was legal to shoot out someone's tires, the people were friends, they got into an arguement, and the man with the Conceal & Carry License shot out the other man's tires, this was, of course, illegal, as it violated other laws as to when it is OK to shoot your weapon (aka, if someone is robbing a bank, you walk in and see them, and then shoot the robber, I'm sure that would be legal) At the very least, the people with the Conceal & Carry License should know the details of the law, sorry I don't remember the specifics for the last one, but that's all I can remember.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby JamieW on Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:20 pm

Wow are you totally misinformed.

First off, handgun availability is the EXACT same in Minnesota as it was before the conceal carry law was passed. The only thing the law affected was conceal carry, not purchase.

Second, part of the bill included when it was passed that schools are off limits to carry.

Third, no conceal law ANYWHERE gives anyone permission to randomly shoot things. I don't even know why you would even begin to think this.

But what makes you think that any of this would have been prevented by not allowing people to carry? You think a person going to shoot up a school says "oh, I was going to shoot at children, but apparently I am not allowed to carry a gun there?" Do you think that stupidity can be legislated?

Guns are no easier to obtain in Minnesota than they were before the law, and this is true in most states. Additionally, gun availability is not the problem. Criminals will obtain guns regardless of the laws. It is what they do. A criminals job is to break laws. Look at DC which has a total handgun ban and its crime rate. Look at California with its draconian firearm laws. Crime rates are huge there. Look at Australia and England who recently banned and confiscated firearms. Crime rates are soaring there. Laws do not stop criminals from doing anything. It only punishes them for doing them.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:09 pm

i asked this in another topic. now i understand why.
JamieW
Man-at-Arms
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby wicked1 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:10 pm

AMEN JamieW you beat me to pointing out those facts :) Heres an interesting read too aviationwiz

Guns & Doctors
Think about this:

a. The number of physicians in the US is 700,000.

b. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year is 120,000.

c. Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171. (US Dept. of Health & Human
Services)

Then think about this:

a. The number of gun owners in the USis 80,000,000.

b. The number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) is 1,500.

c. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .0000188.

d. Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than
gun owners.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors
before this gets out of hand.

PS. As a public health measure, we have withheld the statistics on lawyers
for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical attention.

PLUS, how many of these are not truely ACCIDENTAL???

Of course, the people who most desperately need to get this ...won't
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:33 pm

WOW, what a maelstrom of gun-nuts has arisen!

Hey, you guys want a neat little vacation. I'll meet you in Pahrump, NV, a little ole cowtown about sixty miles NW of Las Vegas. Just out side of town is a place called the Front Sight Resort where you can shoot real, bona fide machine guns for a reasonable fee.

Then, about 8PM, we'll go over to the Stagestop for a few(?) cold ones. It is a quintessential, small-town, Saturday night, honk tonk with a live C&W band.

Slim
Who suggests that in order not to look out of place you should wear cowboy boots and a big hat.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:36 pm

wicked1 wrote:PS. As a public health measure, we have withheld the statistics on lawyers
for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical attention.

LOL
i don't agree with your point of view (or with the validity of the statistics above), but this bit was exceptionally good. :P
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby fookboosh on Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:45 pm

It is true that prohibition of anything rarely works. All anyone has to do is look at the prohibition of alcohol of the 1920s or weed today. If X is outlawed only the outlaws will have X. However, I would not, for example, argue anyone should just be able to walk into anywhere smoking a joint. I dont care what you do on your own property but when its on someone elses it becomes a different issue. So I would argue prohibition of guns would never work (if guns are outlawed only the outlaws will have guns). This being said laws like conceal and carry should be changed so that the default is no guns allowed...not guns allowed. If the property owner is ok with guns that fine. It is true that conceal and carry does not make guns more widely available, it had nothing to do with this. I would like to dispute however the meaning of the 2nd amendment. It states, "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." The point of the second amendment was to allow people to have guns incase it became necessary to have a coup because the rights of the people were being trampled. This is a fine reason to have guns. It does not however mean people have the right to have guns for any other reason. Conceal and carry doesn't make sence under the second amendment. In closing I would like to say...

"Magic theatre
for madmen only
price of admission
your
mind"
-Ram Das

"Turn on, tune in, drop out" -Timothy Leary

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is: Infinite." -William Blake

----------
benna
fookboosh
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to The Beer Garden