Home News Reviews Forums Shop

nero multisession crashes?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

nero multisession crashes?

Postby mrk1283 on Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:22 am

more often than none nero when using multisession on my ltr52327s (QS0B) will crash as it finishes writing lead out instead of popping up the box saying writing complete.

ive tried other versions too and same story (6.3 variants) im using the latest version and funny thing is windows XP's built in cd writer engine burns multisession discs flawlessly and in record time too.

anyone know if its defo a bug in nero?
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:11 am

Dear mrk1283,
Hi.Nero multisession works flawlessly for me.I use Nero 5.5 and have not yet upgraded to 6.I will ask some of my friends who use Nero 6 and let you know.

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby mrk1283 on Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:45 am

thanks!
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:36 am

Well mrk1283,I think there is problem in your setup as some of my friends use multisession all the times with Nero Express 6,the one that is bundled with their recorder.All of these have the version that came with their recorder and have not upgraded it.One still uses 6.0.0.11.
I dont really think of any reason why you are not able to burn multsession discs.
Someone else may help......

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby mrk1283 on Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:06 pm

definately not my setip, i know this because I''m experienced in this field. It has to be something to do with nero 6.3.x.x - Im using burning rom btw NOT express, I use express to author SVCD and DVD's nothing more, burning rom to do normal data burns
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:28 am

mrk1283,try using some other burning software.If you can burn multisession fine in any other software then you can say that there is problem in Nero.Also you can try using older versions of Nero,though I dont think that will solve the problem.

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby mrk1283 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:01 pm

xp's packet writing as said works fine but im not going to install any adaptec-esque software on my system im afraid
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:15 pm

mrk1283 wrote:xp's packet writing ...

there is no such thing.
winXP's built in burning capability isn't packet writing.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CCampbell on Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:39 pm

Without a copy of the Nero log file, it's very difficult to say what is causing the problem. If you could provide a copy of the Nero log file from the failed 'Multisession' attempt, we could see what is occuring, and better offer possible solutions.

But Pranav81 had a very good suggestion. You can try any other CD Recording software to see if this shows the same symptoms. Most Recording programs are compatible these days. You can download a free Demo version of NTI's software, for example, at www.ntius.com and see if their software shows the same issues.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby mrk1283 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:38 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
mrk1283 wrote:xp's packet writing ...

there is no such thing.
winXP's built in burning capability isn't packet writing.

er explain how I burnt a cdr adding new files each time, the same for cdrws using xp then
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:02 pm

to the best of my knowledge, this is how it goes:
WinXP doesn't packet write.
instead, when you want to "burn" a file or folder, it's "copied" into a temp "buffer" folder. when you fill it, you burn it to the disc.

WinXP's help wrote:To copy files and folders to a CD
1. Insert a blank, writable CD into the CD recorder.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Click the files or folders you want to copy to the CD. To select more than one file, hold down the CTRL key while you click the files you want. Then, under File and Folder Tasks, click Copy this file, Copy this folder, or Copy the selected items.
If the files are located in My Pictures, under Picture Tasks, click Copy to CD or Copy all items to CD, and then skip to step 5.

4. In the Copy Items dialog box, click the CD recording drive, and then click Copy.
5. In My Computer, double-click the CD recording drive. Windows displays a temporary area where the files are held before they are copied to the CD. Verify that the files and folders that you intend to copy to the CD appear under Files Ready to be Written to the CD.
6. Under CD Writing Tasks, click Write these files to CD. Windows displays the CD Writing Wizard. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

Notes
  • To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
  • Do not copy more files to the CD than it will hold. Standard CDs hold up to 650 megabytes (MB). High-capacity CDs hold up to 850 MB.
  • Be sure that you have enough disk space on your hard disk to store the temporary files that are created during the CD writing process. For a standard CD, Windows reserves up to 700 MB of the available free space. For a high-capacity CD, Windows reserves up to 1 gigabyte (GB) of the available free space.
  • After you copy files or folders to the CD, it is useful to view the CD to confirm that the files are copied. For more information, click Related Topics.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby mrk1283 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:17 pm

i just dragged and dropped multiple files one after the other after each burn onto the cdr/rw and it kept teh files that were on the disc previously and added the new files each time.
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:40 pm

yeah, i think WinXP does multisession (but i'm not sure).
you didn't click Write these files to CD ???
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby mrk1283 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:52 pm

dodecahedron wrote:yeah, i think WinXP does multisession (but i'm not sure).
you didn't click Write these files to CD ???

of course I did, and yes it does doe multisession cd's like i said above 3 or 4 times already! - ive now got 2 cdrws and one cdr with files burnt onto them on different dates using xp
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:00 pm

OK so that explains it.
you dragged and dropped files into the temp folder, and when you clicked Write these files to CD it wrote them in a new session to the CD, so like you said "it kept the files that were on the disc previously and added the new files each time."

i mistook you last post to be a question.
and i didn't re-read your first post on this topic.

anyway i first answered your
mrk1283 wrote:xp's packet writing as said works fine but im not going to install any adaptec-esque software on my system im afraid

you can't have both multisession and packet writing. these are different things. WinXP's built in burning is not packet-writing, but like you say multisession burning.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby pranav81 on Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:47 am

Dear mrk1283,
Hi.I would still suggest you to use some other burning program.As Craig said you could download demo of some other program.
In my opinion Win XP's CD writing should not be compared with proper CD burning programs like Nero or EZCD.
And yes,Win XP can burn multisession discs.

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)