Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can InCD do this?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Can InCD do this?

Postby bimbla on Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 pm

Direct CD puts UDF reader on the formatted disk by default. This is handy when you want to open your disk elsewhere.

Can InCD do this? If yes, how?

bimbla.
bimbla
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:32 am

Sorry, InCD 4 does not do this.

We approach it differently. Windows 2000 and Windows XP come with their own UDF readers. So if you use the normal Format process, no UDF reader is needs to be installed on the CD you create to read it on these systems.
For Windows 95/98x/ME, you can install our EasyWrite Reader on those systems where you wish to read the disc you created with InCD, if InCD is not already installed on the system.

If you used the MRW format process, then we do put an HTML file on the CD explaining that you need our EasyWrite Reader to read the disc on your Windows 2000 or XP system, and even provide the link. But again for Windows 95/98x/and ME you would need to install the EasyWrite Reader manually.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Can InCD do this?

Postby Pilgrim on Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:53 am

CCampbell said:
If you used the MRW format process, then we do put an HTML file on the CD explaining that you need our EasyWrite Reader to read the disc on your Windows 2000 or XP system, and even provide the link.

This subject has always been an aggravation to me, perhaps because I simply don't understand the purpose of EasyWrite Reader.

I have always thought that a formatted CD-RW, either with UDF or MRW, can be read on a system that does not have Nero installed and/or on a system that does have Nero installed, when the disk is inserted in EITHER a CD-RW OR CD-R drive? The reason for bugging you about this again is because I do have Nero installed and I do have EasyWrite Reader 4.0.0.13 installed on my PC. All my CD-RW discs are MRW formatted. But if I insert one of these discs into my CD-R drive, it cannot be read. In fact, it crashes my system. My usual intent is to use Nero's "Copy Disk" feature; i.e., to put the CD-RW disc which has the source data into my CD-R and a blank CD-R disc into my burner as the destination and then simply use the "Copy Disk" to burn a copy to use on any other PC.

So, would you please enlighten me as to whether what I'm wanting to do is not possible for whatever reason or if there is something amiss?

Thanks,

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:21 am

You want impossible. :wink: You can't simply disc-copy a formatted CDRW to a nonformatted CDR...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:21 am

why impossible?
what pilgrim wants is exactly what he should be getting.

with EasyWrite Reader installed, putting his MRW formatted CDRW into a CD-ROM drive, the files should be accessible by the OS. copying it with Nero should be just like copying from a pressed data CD.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Han on Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:46 pm

Hmm, does that work in practice? Have you tried it? :o
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:50 pm

well, it doesn't work for pilgrim.
i haven't tried it - haven't used packet-writing in quite a while (got fed up with InCD BSODing my system).

but it should work as i outlined.
if i'm wrong about that, please correct me. but i believe that is exactly what EWR should be doing.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CCampbell on Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:08 pm

At this time, you can not use the 'CD Copy' feature to copy a Packet Written CD. This is due to the structure of the Formatted CD-RW.

When you copy a Normal CD, you are working with Lead-In and Lead-Outs, with the data section in between the two. And all the information as to where the data is stored is contained in the Lead-In.

With Packet writing, you have a number of small packets, with all the information as to where the data is stored segmented between the various packets. Which prevents the CD Copy operation.

You can use the Data CD creation option and select the Data from the Packet Written CD-RW as the source, but you can not do a direct CD-Copy.

This limitatnio has nothing to do with it being a Legacy formatted CD-RW or a MRW formatted CD-RW, and it has nothing to do with the EasyWrite Reader, or UDF readers.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:43 pm

CCampbell wrote:At this time, you can not use the 'CD Copy' feature to copy a Packet Written CD. This is due to the structure of the Formatted CD-RW.

When you copy a Normal CD, you are working with Lead-In and Lead-Outs, with the data section in between the two. And all the information as to where the data is stored is contained in the Lead-In.

With Packet writing, you have a number of small packets, with all the information as to where the data is stored segmented between the various packets. Which prevents the CD Copy operation.
This limitatnio has nothing to do with it being a Legacy formatted CD-RW or a MRW formatted CD-RW, and it has nothing to do with the EasyWrite Reader, or UDF readers.

OK. thanks for clarifying.
though i still think it should be possible to add this capability to Nero - just one more format of CD for copying. it's the reading part anyways.

CCampbel wrote:You can use the Data CD creation option and select the Data from the Packet Written CD-RW as the source, but you can not do a direct CD-Copy.

good enough for me
(i think this is what i had meant originally anyways)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Pilgrim on Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:50 pm

CCampbell wrote:
You can use the Data CD creation option and select the Data from the Packet Written CD-RW as the source, but you can not do a direct CD-Copy.

That would be great, but for one thing! Whenever I insert a formatted CD-RW (MRW) into my CD ROM drive, my entire system comes to a total halt. Yep, everything freezes until I manually eject the disc and then after about 45-60 seconds, everything returns to normal. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Helpful specs:

AMD AthlonXP 1.8
512 megs DDR SDRAM
Liteon LTR 52246S
LG CRD 8522B
InCD 4.1.5.7
Media: Sony CD-RW 650HS

Thanks for any help!

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:37 am

CCampbell wrote:At this time, you can not use the 'CD Copy' feature to copy a Packet Written CD. This is due to the structure of the Formatted CD-RW.

Regards,

Craig

Dear Craig,
Hi.i can burn my Drag-To-Disc formatted CD-RW's using the CD Copy dialogue in Nero 5.5.10.54.

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)