Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Plextor Plextools GigaRec,does it work?

Burn baby burn!

Plextor Plextools GigaRec,does it work?

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:49 pm

was reading up on plextools and found something in there about a function called GigaRec.It says it can record up to 111 minutes of audio and an equal amount of data on a cd.Has anyone had any experience with this function and does it work?

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:50 pm

i have used it on my premium in the past, although it makes the cd very unreadable by most drives. Weather it be car stereo, home stereo, or just another cd-rom or dvd-rom
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:18 am

The resulting disk is likely only to play in the Premium itself, which is a down-fall. It may read in some DVD Writers though. I hear it is nicer than the HD-Burn on the Optorite DVD Burners though.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:22 am

Gigarec is MUCH nicer than HD-BURN. Since you can select the "level" for Gigarec (20,30,40% more space, I think). The lower levels can be read by far more drives than the higher levels. And HD-BURN? Not bloodly likely.

Gigarec just reduces the pit size on a CD; HD-BURN also uses a different form of error correction; a much worse form. Out of about 100 or so HD-BURN discs I've made, about 1/3 where at least partially unreadable.

Check out the old Plextor Premium review here; it has more info on GigaRec.
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:39 am

thanx for the input.
I guess it helps if you have plextor drives for a long time to use those discs.I might try 1 or 2 to see for myself.
BTW,If most drives have a hard time readin' em,how come 99 minute discs work oK(supposedly,have no experience with them).

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:25 am

99min CD-Rs are manufactured differently then 80min CD-Rs, that might have something to do with it. Although 99min CD-Rs have some compatability problems too, not nearly as many as Gigarecord or HD-Burn.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:08 pm

With GigaRec/HD-BURN the actual pit size is smaller than on a normal cd; hence, more data in the same space. With 99 minute CD's, it justs more recordable dye near the edge of the disc (or something similar; basically, it's just an overburned CD-R that's actually rated to be overburned).
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:06 pm

BurninMan921 wrote:With GigaRec/HD-BURN the actual pit size is smaller than on a normal cd; hence, more data in the same space. With 99 minute CD's, it justs more recordable dye near the edge of the disc (or something similar; basically, it's just an overburned CD-R that's actually rated to be overburned).

Not always, some 90min and 92min CD-Rs are manufactured so that they are not overburned. They have a proper 90min/92min ATIP lead out and everything. I believe 97min is about the absolute maximum that could be done without overburning... technically speaking :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives