Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Yamaha 3200 and InCD problem

Burn baby burn!

Yamaha 3200 and InCD problem

Postby pbi76 on Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:07 pm

Hi everyone. I am new member but I have been checking out this site for the longest time because I am an audio freak and I love to burn Audio CDs on my PC. As a purist, I should actually use a stand-alone recorder but the convenience of doing it via computer is just too hard to give up. Yamaha CD recorders (not PC CD/RW drives) get excellent ratings and come with hard drives but they are still a bit expensive and the interface is naturally not as easy as a computer in terms of labeling (for CD-TEXT) and rearranging the tracks when I make compilations.

My system is consists of the ff:

Athlon 1800XP on an Asus A7V8X-X with 768MB of RAM
Windows XP Home with SP1 and all Critical Updates
Primary Master: Hard Drive (Seagate 40GB 7200RPM)
Primary Secondary : LG 52x CD ROM (sorry, forgot the model number)
Secondary Master : Yamaha 3200 CDRW

I installed the Nero Burning ROM 5.5 that came with the Yamaha but not the InCD. I have also upgraded to the latest version of Nero 5.5.

I recently purchased a Lite-On 52x-32x-52x to replace the Yamaha that was starting to be flaky. It would not read some Data and Audio CDs (original presses or otherwise).

While I was installing the Lite-On , I decided to experiment and take the Yamaha apart and clean the lens. The experiment worked and now I feel I wasted money getting the Lite-On. (The LiteOn is now the Secondary Master and the Yamaha is the Slave.) Well, at least I can use the Lite-on for most burns and use the Yamaha exclusively for audio thereby preserving it. AMQR, in my opinion, makes a difference in sound quality and Yamaha drives featuring it are not available here anymore (I'm from the Philippines). In any case, is my Yamaha already showing signs of impending failure or is cleaning the lens part of regular maintenence? I have had the Yamaha for about 2 years.

Anyway, I did not install the Nero Express that came with the Lite-on because the full version of Nero that I have recognized both burners. I did however install the InCD that came with the Lite On. The software works in the sense that I can Packet Write but whenever I insert any kind of CD in the LG, I am prompted of an InCDserv.exe failure and my computer can't recover thereby requiring a hard restart. How can I solve this problem?

Lastly, my Lite-On's firmware is QS55. Any feedback regarding this version? Is this the latest?

Sorry for the lengthy post but I figured it would be best to give a detailed account of the problems I'm having.

Thanks and best regards.
pbi76
Buffer Underrun

Re: Yamaha 3200 and InCD problem

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:49 am

pbi76 wrote:How can I solve this problem?

Uninstall InCD. It's a pile of junk. :wink: Okay, okay, just joking. Some people do use it with success. If you really do want to do packet writing (I personally don't because of many bad experiences with packet writing's reliability), there are a few things to check.

First, what version of InCD are you using? If you are using the 3.5x series, go get versions 3.5.22.0b and 3.5.24.0 and try them (warning! - Ahead no longer distributes the older 3.5x versions so these links are from a third-party site. Check the files for viruses and use at your own risk.) If you are using the 4.x series, go get version 4.1.5.10.

If updating to the latest version doesn't help, try going though the InCD troubleshooting steps.

If that doesn't help, consider getting rid of the LG CD-ROM. The Lite-On can do everything it can do and then some.

If that doesn't help, then go back to my first suggestion - uninstall InCD.

As for Lite-On firmware, I believe you have the latest version for your drive. You have the new variant of the LTR-52327S which uses a new style of firmware. I suggest you just leave it alone for now.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby pbi76 on Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:21 am

Thanks. I'll try the stuff you suggested then post post an update.
pbi76
Buffer Underrun

Postby pbi76 on Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:43 am

Upgrading to the latest version of InCD appears to have fixed the problems. Thanks.
pbi76
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:35 pm

You're welcome.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives