Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can't uninstall mouse drivers

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Can't uninstall mouse drivers

Postby colt45 on Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:51 am

Hi, needing help again, this time with my mouse, (just an el cheapo A4 Tech 2 button mouse) I started having problems with it a week or so ago, the pointer just going all over the screen opening and "clicking" on things without any input from me, thinking that it was dirty I replaced it with a brand new one I had (same model) thinking this would work, as I have had this problem over a year ago and it worked for me then.

Unfortunately it didn't improve, it just did the same thing, so I went to the A4 Tech website and downloaded the latest driver for the mouse and tried to install it, at first I just installed it with the other two drivers which were loaded by windows (XP) and this just made it worse, so I did a system restore and it was like it was originaly, bad but not as bad,

I then tried uninstalling the two windows drivers (after backing them up to a different folder) by going into my C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder and deleting the two drivers "i8042prt and "mouclass" and then restarted the comp, hoping I would be able to load my new driver without these two in place, but when my comp powered back up, I found that those two drivers were loaded again!

I have even tried deleting the mouse through "device manager" which removed the mouse but not the drivers themselves, how do I remove those two drivers so I can install the new one?

Any help will be greatly appreaciated, :D
Steve
colt45
Buffer Underrun

Postby colt45 on Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:58 am

Sorry I forgot to mention that I tried removing the drivers through the mouse properties box, and also did a virus check, but nothing was found

Thanks again
Steve
colt45
Buffer Underrun

Postby Justin42 on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:06 pm

I believe those 2 files (at least i8042prt is) are part of the Windows OS and aren't really removable. They're the generic mouse/keyboard drivers that Windows uses when it doesn't have any other idea what to use. (which, on a side note, I haven't seen a mouse or keyboard that NEEDS drivers to work in ages, except for stuff with special features-- i.e., Logitech's Mouseware to put in all the weird control panels, etc)

I'd try getting an entirely different mouse and seeing how it works. You may have a bad mouse port, do you have access to a USB mouse to test?
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby colt45 on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:17 pm

Thanks for your reply Justin, no I haven't got a USB mouse, you think it's worth buying one? I don't know much about these things unfortunately.

I would love to try and install the other driver I have but the windows one makes it worse, I hold my breath every time I go to use the mouse because for some reason the pointer seems to always want to go and click on the start button and everything attached to it, like "run" and "shutdown" goes on like this for about 5 sec, stops, then waits till I've relaxed and goes and does it again lol

Might have to look into buying something a bit better,

again thanks for your help
All the best,
Steve
colt45
Buffer Underrun

Mouse with the willys

Postby JayDee on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:55 pm

did this mouse come with software & did you install it, some mouse drivers do weird things, but to me it sound like either a virus, adware, conflict or just a cheapo mouse like you said, I suguest you buy a better quality mouse either MS or Logitech, I also DON'T recommend you installing the drivers that come with the mouse for instance I have a logitech & MS & both come with weird programs that you really don't need & something they make it hard to unintall. The Winxp comes with all the drivers you need. First I would try this make sure you uninstall any drivers that came with the mouse & then UNPLUG the mouse from yer computer, do you have the problem then???? If not make sure you virus is up to date & is of good quality and try another anti virus prg just to be sure, as this really sound s like a virus, now after you have ruled out virus, go & by a MS or Logitech mouse & of course don't install the drivers.
If this doesn't fix your problem, shut off your system restore & reboot BUT DOING THIS YOU LOSE ALL RESTORES UP TO THIS DATE, AFTER THE reboot turn system restore back on. This should fix the problem, as some trojans are loaded from the system restore folder after each reboot, but do this as a last resort.

Dave
JayDee
Buffer Underrun

Postby colt45 on Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:21 am

Thanks for the all the tips Dave, problem is I have to wail till Tuesday before I can get into the city to get another mouse, and have to use the keyboard till them ahhhhhhhhh lol

I'll do another virus check as well because I've never had problems with these mice before, so it could be a virus or like Justin said maybe a bad port, pity I can't at least disable those Windows drivers to stop them from loading and try the new drivers, that way at least I would have that possible cause out of the way, but the things keep reloading (from where I don't know) but will be trying all the suggestions that you guys have given me so far,

Thanks again for your help,
Steve :D
colt45
Buffer Underrun

Postby colt45 on Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:25 am

One other thing, I read on the boards that someone was having problems with a USB keyboard, I can't remember the issue they were having in particular, but it was the USB connection that was the culprit, so should I stick to the PS2 or get a USB mouse instead, just in case the PS2 port has gone "funny"? :o

Thanks,
Steve
colt45
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion