Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Verbatim x32 CDRW with a Samsung 52x32x32

Burn baby burn!

Verbatim x32 CDRW with a Samsung 52x32x32

Postby NX3 on Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:59 pm

I'm using the latest firmware, latest Nero 5 (5.5.10.56) but get unknown media error messages when trying to write the discs. I've also tried using XP built in CD writing and cdrwin but all return the same error message.

Has anyone got this combination of drive and disc to work ? or any suggestion as to the problem ?
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Postby sandersk on Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:50 pm

Is Windows CD write/rewrite capabilities turned on simultaneously with Nero or WinCD? If so, the first thing you should probably do is to disable Windows' CD writing capability. You can do that by right-clicking on your CDRW drive and under 'Properties' --> 'Recording,' uncheck the 'Enable CD recording on this drive.' In fact, you should disable that for any RW drives you have. A reboot may be in order, but probably not.

After that you might stand a better chance (hopefully!) of diagnosing your difficulties.

Can you write to that drive using 24x RWs or any other speed media? (I guess you can??) Have you tried writing to that 32x media at 24x if that speed is available on the Samsung?

And what are these "unknown media error" messages exactly? I'm not saying I can solve your problem, but you will need to describe much more specifically your problem for others to help as well.

Samsung makes some decent CDRWs, as reviewed here. I really can't speak for this one -- I have the combo 48x24x48x16x drive. It's reliable, writes to 24x Verbatim media as fast as my LiteOn 52327S writes to 32x media using some backup programs -- not in a straight up mastering burn (as you would with Nero 5.5x, for instance).
sandersk
CD-RW Thug

Postby NX3 on Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:17 pm

Ok.... XP cd writing is now disabled.

I've written Verbatim x24 CDRW many time no problems on this drive.

Using the x32 at x24 fails, the drive tries to initalise several times before giving up.

"And what are these "unknown media error" messages exactly? "
That was the message Nero was coming up with...useful huh. Latest Nero says 'Power Calibration Error'.

InfoTool says the drive can only do x24 even though it supposed to do x32.

I know I'm not the only one who the Samsung 52x32x52 does not write Verbatim x32. However no more clues as to the problem. Samsung says the drive can do it....but nobody with this drive I know can't.

Do you think it could be a Nero 5 issue and 6 would perhaps solve it?
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Postby sandersk on Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:59 pm

From bottom to top:

Do you think it could be a Nero 5 issue and 6 would perhaps solve it?

What version of Nero are you using? The latest is 5.5.1056. I would update to that before upgrading to ver. 6. Many in this forum prefer v.5.5x to 6 for reliability and stability. Of course, you can demo 6 for free.

I know I'm not the only one who the Samsung 52x32x52 does not write Verbatim x32. However no more clues as to the problem. Samsung says the drive can do it....but nobody with this drive I know can't.

If, as you’re implying, the Samsung has a “known” issue with 32x media and you’ve updated to the latest firmware — and there are no other issues with your system, more on that below — then I would suggest seeing if you could get a replacement drive from Samsung. See if that one works and if it doesn’t you’ll need have to deal with Samsung the best way possible — a different drive or something commensurate.

InfoTool says the drive can only do x24 even though it supposed to do x32.

If InfoTool says the drive can only do 24x and it’s ‘specced’ out for 32x, it would seem you should be thinking about getting a new or different drive. My 52327S shows both speeds available in Burning ROM and InfoTool.

"And what are these "unknown media error" messages exactly? "
That was the message Nero was coming up with...useful huh. Latest Nero says 'Power Calibration Error'.

Regarding your “Power Calibration Error,” you might do a search throughout these forums if you haven’t already (and www.cdfreaks.com) to see what you come up with. You can start here. Media incompatibility seems to be the main culprit (firmware update, please!). I have experience with this issue, but it went away for me only after I replaced the suspect drive (with the same model), got a better power supply, and reinstalled the OS (driver issue possibly). I’m not saying you should do all these, but I guess these are some things to consider. And the thread (thank you, Inertia) points to a link that suggests that an underpowered power supply could be the issue.

I've written Verbatim x24 CDRW many time no problems on this drive.
Using the x32 at x24 fails, the drive tries to initalise several times before giving up.

As the preceding suggests, media incompatibility and, perhaps, power supply are possible suspects. The symptoms suggest such, I hazard to say. By the way can you burn any CD-R media at 32x or faster? I don’t know if CD-RWs require more “juice” than CD-Rs do. Once again, I would guess that you can, based on what I see as your “presumptions.”

Do the search and see what else you might come up with.

Ok.... XP cd writing is now disabled.

I would keep it that way permanently. BTW OOI (out of ideas).
Hope this helps!
sandersk
CD-RW Thug

Postby NX3 on Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:17 am

Some quick replies as I'm at work...and thanks for replying

What version of Nero are you using?
>5.5.10.56 and I tried 6 but to no avail..

>InfoTool from 5.5.10.56 and Nero 6, (newer version number for InfoTool) both say x24 CDRW max...which is odd IMO.

>My XP+SP1 build is clean and fairly new. The other 2 PC tested, one is brand new i.e 2 weeks old the other about 6 months old. One has a 300w PSU, one a 350w the other a 400w.

By the way can you burn any CD-R media at 32x or faster?
>yup verbatim CDR at x52 no problems on any of the PC or the 2 Samsung drives any combination. X24 CDRW fine as well.

As the preceding suggests, media incompatibility
>given the above all things seem to point to this at the moment.

>I've had a reply from Samsung and I'm chasing this up with them as they assure me the drive should work.
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Postby sandersk on Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:55 am

Are you using the latest firmware? I don't believe you answered that question. That's a biggie.

>My XP+SP1 build is clean and fairly new. The other 2 PC tested, one is brand new i.e 2 weeks old the other about 6 months old. One has a 300w PSU, one a 350w the other a 400w.

Are these computers DIYs? The wattage rating of PSUs can be deceptive in terms of what their real world performance will be. I had a 400-watter that I replaced with a different 400-watter and the real power the newer one provided for the different rails was profoundly better than the other. You might look at this review and another from Tom's Hardware to evaluate for yourself whether your PSUs are adequate for your needs.

If these are not DIYs, but brand names of some sort, I would think that the system integration of its components should be fine.

Which brings us back to this -- the problem is likely be the drive itself.
sandersk
CD-RW Thug

Postby NX3 on Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:25 pm

Yes latest Firmware R802, used Samsung Liveupdate and double checked myself to be 100% sure.

The PC are DIY not branded but the PSU are by Antec and Nexus. According to the reviews at Tomshardware and www.silentpcreview.com with detailed power ratings this are good psu's.

Samsung suggest to disable JustLink but it makes no difference...still in dialog with them...

Its the drive I'm sure....Strange how Nero Info can't even pick up its x32 and just reports x24 for CD-RW though...
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Postby sandersk on Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:41 pm

Well, I guess the best I can offer is good luck with this problem. Perhaps someone else in this forum could be of better assistance than I.
sandersk
CD-RW Thug

Postby NX3 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:46 am

Thanks.... just have to see what Samsung come up with.
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Postby NX3 on Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:32 pm

new firmware R803 from Samsung :D but it doesn't fix anything, still cant write at x40 :(
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Postby sandersk on Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:03 pm

Time for an RMA or exchange??

Once again, best of luck.
sandersk
CD-RW Thug

Postby pranav81 on Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:31 pm

Mr friends too have had issues with Samsung's.They have now switched to other drives.
RMA the drive.

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby NX3 on Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:30 pm

Still waiting for a RMA number...sigh...
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Postby NX3 on Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:13 pm

New firmware today R804 and R805 on the same day ! However still can write verbatim CD-RW x32.

Still no RMA number from my retailer....

:(
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Postby NX3 on Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:58 am

Got my drive back today, new drive, same model, same problem. How the hell to I get to speak to someone at Samsung who know what they are on about and will admit that it can't write x32 CDRW ?! :-(
NX3
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives