Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Why is Lite-On's IT website so dang slow?????

What was that?

Why is Lite-On's IT website so dang slow?????

Postby BillyG on Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:23 pm

I've been trying to get the latest firmware for my LDW-411S drive and Lite-On's IT website takes forever to load on my cable modem. Is there a better place or mirror site where I can find the latest Lite-On bios upgrades??
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:36 pm

aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:52 am

Unfortunately, rpc1.org just links to Lite-On's web site. I know what you mean about the slow speeds, too; the files download extremely slowly, even though I have a cable modem, too.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby BillyG on Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:04 am

Thanks for the link - Lite-On pulled the bios update for my model because it was corrupting DVD-RW's, it looks like I'll wait. I'm having trouble getting any of my DVD+R copies to work on my parents and brothers DVD player (both are Apex's - but they work fine with my Mintek and KLH digital players) and was crossing fingers that the new bios would fix it.

With thier drives being sold at more stores and even Wal-Mart now, Lite-On needs to get on the ball and put up a USA mirror site for support and bios for thier products.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:54 pm

BillyG wrote:With thier drives being sold at more stores and even Wal-Mart now, Lite-On needs to get on the ball and put up a USA mirror site for support and bios for thier products.

I agree; they really need a faster site. Sometimes, my download rates from their site have been as low as 7k/second on my cable connection.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby TheWizard on Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:41 am

Answer: The site is located across the Pacific Ocean in, if I remember correctly, Taiwan. Furthermore, bandwidth in Taiwan is MUCH more expensive than it is in the US. So, an OC3 (155Mbps) connection here in the States probably costs the same as a 512Kbps link in Taiwan. See the discrepancy? :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:12 am

TheWizard wrote:Answer: The site is located across the Pacific Ocean in, if I remember correctly, Taiwan. Furthermore, bandwidth in Taiwan is MUCH more expensive than it is in the US. So, an OC3 (155Mbps) connection here in the States probably costs the same as a 512Kbps link in Taiwan. See the discrepancy? :)

Hence BillyG's suggestion:

BillyG wrote:With thier drives being sold at more stores and even Wal-Mart now, Lite-On needs to get on the ball and put up a USA mirror site for support and bios for thier products.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:20 am

Then I urge you fine gentlemen to Email Lite-On about this. If you want to make it really professional, you can suggest an ISP for Lite-On to house their US web site. Wouldn't it be neat if Ian could host it on his web space for CDRLabs? :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:41 am

isn't http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/index1.htm located (or hosted whatever's the right term) in the US?

incdientally going there i get a popup with the following pic:

i like that! :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:36 pm

I didn't know that Lite-On had that site. Interestingly, I noticed that it doesn't have the LTR-52327S firmware version QS0E on it; only QS0C is posted there.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:54 pm

Yeah, the Americas site is always a little behind. At least they're not linking to the Taiwan website anymore for some of that stuff.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:02 pm

CDRecorder wrote:Interestingly, I noticed that it doesn't have the LTR-52327S firmware version QS0E on it; only QS0C is posted there.

Ian wrote:Yeah, the Americas site is always a little behind. At least they're not linking to the Taiwan website anymore for some of that stuff.

not quite.
the link to the QS0C fw is pointing at www.liteonit.com which i presume is the Taiwan site. the link is broken since this fw is no longer on the Taiwan site...
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:06 pm

I didn't know that. They used to actually embed the Taiwan webpages into their own.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:37 pm

so.
there's some improvement then.
hopefully they'll start hosting their own data/download files too.

what, Ian, no comment about the pic?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Rants n' Raves