Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What's so good about Taiyo Yuden CD-R's?

Burn baby burn!

What's so good about Taiyo Yuden CD-R's?

Postby shep on Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:57 pm

:- Many people in these threads seem to be enthusiastic about Taiyo Yuden CD-R's, and I am considering getting some. What's so good about them? Is it achival permanence, lack of errors, speed…? Are they better than Imation?

(Inspired by this forum, I have just bought a LaCie CD recorder for my iMac. $99--amazingly cheap for 52x, firewire, DAO, smart industrial design, and all the latest. It will be a supplement to my stand-alone Philips recorder which requires music CD's.)
shep
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:50 pm

All of the above. TY discs probably contain the least amount of errors per disc across the board. They burn at the rated speed or above in many drives. As for their archival permanence, that remains to be seen. Enough time has not passed yet to truly test whether a burned CD can stand the rigors of time. Although, I'd be willing to bet that data kept on TY discs and are well taken care of will last a long time. Then again, even other discs, when well taken care of, can supposedly last a long time.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:56 pm

TY rocks ! 8)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Re: What's so good about Taiyo Yuden CD-R's?

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:07 pm

shep wrote:Are they better than Imation?

Oh my, Yes. 30000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% better in fact. Imation uses CMC, often refered to as one of the worst manufacturers of CD-R's in the world, and in my exprience, Imation is the worst of all the CMC re-badgers. I had a 20 pack of Imation CD-R's (10x2) and literally 2 discs worked, my friend had a 50 spindle, and 3 discs worked. Talk about crap!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby eliminator on Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:42 pm

lol :lol:
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:57 am

I've used a lot of Imation discs, and while they certainly weren't as good as TY, they weren't terrible.

I've always had good results with good burning quality on TY discs; much better than any other brand of discs I've used.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby jase on Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:40 pm

A lot depends on your writer.

For example, the 52/24/52 Artec writer burns every phthalocyanine CMC I've ever thrown at it at 48x no problem (even some that had trouble with other writers, and some that were only 12x rated), and lowish C1 errors/no C2. On the other hand the same writer makes nowt but coasters with TY.

In general though the TY media is much higher quality, and are likely to last a long time -- I have some 7 year old ones which are all still fine.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:07 am

Yeah, those Artec's are the only exception for T.Y. that I know of though... and luckily a pretty rare brand name too!

Taiyo Yuden is generally the most compatible disc you will ever find, and possibly the highest quality disc when initially burned. Other discs might have longer overall lifespans though.

There are a few disc types that have beaten out Taiyo Yuden... but they are quite hard to find outside of Europe generally.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby shep on Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:21 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Taiyo Yuden is generally the most compatible disc you will ever find, and possibly the highest quality disc when initially burned. Other discs might have longer overall lifespans though.

There are a few disc types that have beaten out Taiyo Yuden... but they are quite hard to find outside of Europe generally.

OK!! I have just ordered 200 T-Y's. I'm all set for a big project on my new LaCie recorder. Thanks again to all. :)
shep
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:23 pm

shep wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Taiyo Yuden is generally the most compatible disc you will ever find, and possibly the highest quality disc when initially burned. Other discs might have longer overall lifespans though.

OK!! I have just ordered 200 T-Y's. I'm all set for a big project on my new LaCie recorder. Thanks again to all. :)

The name Lacie gives me shudders! :o

But don't worry, I know other Lacie owners that use a lot of T.Y. media, so it'll work fine.

It's the Lacie DVD burners that really scare me. Those things don't make any sense at all! :evil:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives