Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Web Server

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Web Server

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:58 am

Hi all!
I know this isn't the right place for this, but since this is where I hang out the most, and I know that there are more than knowlegeable people here, here it goes...(sorry for the run on)

I'd like to run a few sites off of one of my computers. How do I go about it with the RedHat route? I've attempted RedHat before, but dumped it in frustration. Now I'm at a point where I'd like to try it again. Is there a Server version of RedHat that I need? Also, if I do make one of my systems RedHat with the other computers on the network running XP Pro and 2000 Pro, will they be able to "communicate" with each other just the same?

Thanks for reading!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:28 pm

I would suggest looking into Mandrake for ease of use. It is based on the RedHat distro but with a more polished user interface.

You don't need any "special" server version, you just need to install the server packages that you need (apache, mysql, php, samba...).

Yes, you can "communicate" with your XP and 2000 windows boxes if you install and setup Samba.

If you are running web services from your home network (or anywhere for that matter) make sure you have the bandwidth and pay attention to security issues (firewalls...etc). You don't want someone jacking your machine...

Have fun.
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:28 pm

Heya pchilson...

Thanks for the response and 411! Is it hard to set up Mandrake for multiple sites (10-12)? Is it difficult to address them? Also, what version should I get off of their site?
Mandrakelinux 10.0 Community/i586 ISO Image
MandrakeMove/i586 ISO Image

Thanks again!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:53 pm

Technically, Mandrake is not being set up to run a dozen sites, Apache is. Apache is the web server software, Mandrake is just the operating system; like Windows is the OS and through it you run software packages. I don't even know if Apache has some sort of graphical user interface now, I've always configured it from a Unix shell account (i.e. command line prompt). Anyway, by now, Apache must have designed some sort of ease-of-use setup, head over to http://httpd.apache.org to read more and download.

I don't know how stable Mandrake 10.0 is since it is fairly new. I recommend using 9.1 as I have had good luck with that. http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:32 pm

Apache will handle all the "virtual servers" you want from one server instance.

The "easiest" way to manage your server is with Webmin.
You can look at it at http://www.webmin.com
Mandrake installs it by default.

Personally I have not used or seen Mandrake 10.0 yet. I have had the best results with 9.2, it has resolved a few issues with 9.1.
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:09 pm

TheWizard wrote:Technically, Mandrake is not being set up to run a dozen sites, Apache is. Apache is the web server software, Mandrake is just the operating system; like Windows is the OS and through it you run software packages. I don't even know if Apache has some sort of graphical user interface now, I've always configured it from a Unix shell account (i.e. command line prompt). Anyway, by now, Apache must have designed some sort of ease-of-use setup, head over to http://httpd.apache.org to read more and download.

I don't know how stable Mandrake 10.0 is since it is fairly new. I recommend using 9.1 as I have had good luck with that. http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29

what luck! to have stumbled upon someone who knows a bit about linux.
maybe you can help me out a bit.

i've been meaning to install Linux, and considered Mandrake.
but a few things aren't clear:
1. what's the difference between the PPC and i586 versions?

2. what's the difference between 9.1 and 9.2? 9.2 appears to be available only as Manderake Move and i want the real thing.
also, 9.2 is i589, 9.1 is PPC.

3. from what you said about Mandrake being based on RedHat, what's the difference between them apart from User Interface? is RedHat better?

4. come to that, what's up with RedHat? i have the RedHat 7, 8 and 9 installation discs, but they seem to have stopped with 9 with the free version, and now only have "enterprise" or whatever???

any comments greately appreciated.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:11 pm

pchilson wrote:Personally I have not used or seen Mandrake 10.0 yet. I have had the best results with 9.2, it has resolved a few issues with 9.1.

where can one get Manderake 9.2?
in http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29 there's only 9.1 PPC and 9.2 i586 MandrakeMove. i can't seem to find (though i admint i've only looked around just a little, busy :o ) 9.2 "regular". most mirrors seem to have only 10.0 and i don't want that, it isn't final yet.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:29 pm

Jeez. This is gonna take awhile to understand. :-? I do appreciate all of the info!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:37 pm

A little googling finds me this ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake-9.2-iso/

i586 is for PC
PPC is for Power PC (Mac)
Mandrake Move is a bootable live CD

Mandrake starts with a base Redhat and makes their own enhancements geared more to the desktop/end user. Redhat has always been geared more to the server/technical user than the desktop user.

Now that RedHat is no longer distroing I don't know the status of Mandrake and what the base will be. RedHat is foucsing soley on the Enterprise now.

There are so many differences from one release version to the next it would be impossible to simply "state the difference between 9.1 and 9.2"

Speaking for myself, if I was going to download one of the versions to burn I would get 10.0

What used to be the RedHat free is now being called "Fedora" and RedHat as a company is still contributing but is no longer in control of it.

I was a system admin on RedHat and Mandrake for the past 4 years but lost my job in January due to the lousy tech economy, outsourcing ...blah,blah,blah

She's a long and winding road...
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:35 pm

pchilson wrote:I was a system admin on RedHat and Mandrake for the past 4 years but lost my job in January due to the lousy tech economy, outsourcing ...blah,blah,blah
Jeez. I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks. I hope you get a coupla really good leads soon.

Thanks for the breakdown of the Mandrake and RedHat explanation(s)!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:01 am

TheWizard wrote:I don't know how stable Mandrake 10.0 is since it is fairly new. I recommend using 9.1 as I have had good luck with that. http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29

I'm running Mandrake 10.0 RC1 on two of my machines, and it seems fairly stable. It seems better than 9.2, and the file sharing with Samba definitely works better with my WinXP machines than it did in Mandrake 9.2. Mandrake 10.0 Community (which is newer than RC1) seems worse than RC1 to me; I haven't even been able to get it to install. :o
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby pchilson on Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:59 am

F1Pilot wrote:I hope you get a coupla really good leads soon.

Not to worry, I have taken a six month contract job. Thanks for the thought though. :wink:

The Wizard wrote:Mandrake 10.0 Community (which is newer than RC1) seems worse than RC1 to me; I haven't even been able to get it to install.

I believe that Community is still technically a beta version. Mandrake changed their release method and wanted to get it into more hands sooner for testing. Maybe you should report the problems and see if it can get resolved.
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:39 am

pchilson wrote:A little googling finds me this ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake-9.2-iso/

i586 is for PC
PPC is for Power PC (Mac)
Mandrake Move is a bootable live CD

Mandrake starts with a base Redhat and makes their own enhancements geared more to the desktop/end user. Redhat has always been geared more to the server/technical user than the desktop user.

Now that RedHat is no longer distroing I don't know the status of Mandrake and what the base will be. RedHat is foucsing soley on the Enterprise now.

There are so many differences from one release version to the next it would be impossible to simply "state the difference between 9.1 and 9.2"

Speaking for myself, if I was going to download one of the versions to burn I would get 10.0

What used to be the RedHat free is now being called "Fedora" and RedHat as a company is still contributing but is no longer in control of it.

I was a system admin on RedHat and Mandrake for the past 4 years but lost my job in January due to the lousy tech economy, outsourcing ...blah,blah,blah

She's a long and winding road...

thank you.

i'm hesitant about Mandrake 10.0 because it's still Rease Candidate or Beta.
i guess (?) 9.2 is better than 9.1, thanks for the link i couldn't find a mirror with it at linuxiso.org.

i'm deliberating between Mandrake (9.2 probably) and RedHat (8 or 9) or Fedora core 1...choices choices :(
if anyone has any tips or suggestions about which of these is most preferable i'd appreciate any input.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby JamieW on Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:06 pm

I'd just like to add "what?"

No clue what you folks are talking about and frankly I think this conversation needs to include some form of other discussion. From now on, please include in all responses the following sentence filled out to make some sense:

"If [forumer's name] were an operating system, [he][she] would be [operating system] because [reason]."

I thank you for your support. Remember, this goes after actually providing information.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby F1Pilot on Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm

JamieW wrote:I'd just like to add "what?"

No clue what you folks are talking about and frankly I think this conversation needs to include some form of other discussion. From now on, please include in all responses the following sentence filled out to make some sense:

"If [forumer's name] were an operating system, [he][she] would be [operating system] because [reason]."

I thank you for your support. Remember, this goes after actually providing information.
LOL! How are ya, JamieW?!

If F1Pilot were an operating system, he would be anything BUT Mandrake because he can't get the friggin' thing to download. :-? chit.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:20 pm

I feel you, F1Pilot. Last operating system I could figure out was windows 3.1. 3.11 confused me.

And good job there, lead by example.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby F1Pilot on Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:07 pm

Awwwmaaaan...3.1. Ya know, it would be fun to have the disks and original packing for that piece of crap. True old school stuff...along with Stretch, Walker, 2600, Sinistar, The Lair and...Waitaminnit. Damn.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:29 am

dodecahedron wrote:i'm deliberating between Mandrake (9.2 probably) and RedHat (8 or 9) or Fedora core 1...choices choices :(
if anyone has any tips or suggestions about which of these is most preferable i'd appreciate any input.

Depends what you want to do with Linux. I would recommend Mandrake over RedHat in your case because you are more of a novice when it comes to Linux. That's not an insult, BTW, just an observation on my behalf. :) Mandrake is easier to install and maintain than straight RedHat.

I haven't tried Fedora yet, and I definitely won't until more releases come out. I don't download every release of an OS, especially when it comes to *nix. Some releases are downright unstable, therefore why bother downloading them? I'll read feedback and reviews before downloading a *nix ISO.

There are a number of other versions of Linux that boast ease-of-use, one example being College Linux. It is based on Slackware, which is one of the main distributions, like RedHat. College Linux may sound gimmicky, but it's the real deal. It was designed "to provide to RKC (Robert Kennedy College) students and to the student population at large an operating system which is easy to install and use and which provides an alternative to the traditional commercial operating systems." So, if students have no trouble with it, chances are you won't either. :) http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=62
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:45 am

thanks for the tips Wiz.

as a matter of fact i have quite a bit of experience as a Linux USER.
i've worked on Linux workstations longer than i have used a Windows box at home.
but i've only installed Linux once (RedHat 7.2 i think it was) and don't consider myself to be a Linux expert, at least when it comes to installing and maintaining it.

i think i prefer RedHat over Mandrake (because i've had a little experience with it maybe), but i'm worried (???) that i might be missing something since RedHat has stopped releasing a Desktop version, maybe RedHat 9 is outdated?
i've been told that Mandrake is (one of the) easiest for a Newbie, but i'm not too concerned about that...

oh well, maybe i will do the Mandrake 9.2 if i can find it...

i'm waiting till i'm older :wink: ... when i have a bit more Linux experience i'll go Debian! :D

about Fedora, you're right...only Core 1 is out, gotta wait more.
they say it should be 3 updates a year, and yet Core 1 came out last November so there should've been Core 2 out alread :o
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby JamieW on Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:26 am

Dodeca, Wizard, you didn't follow the new rule. Shame on both of you. How are those of us who don't know the difference between Linux and Cocoa Puffs supposed to enjoy this thread? I'm afraid I'm going to have to break out the big guns. Anyone that doesn't follow the new rule will have their phone number given to aviationwiz.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby cfitz on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:06 pm

If aviationwiz were an operating system, he would be OS/360 because it is really expensive and only works with select, expensive hardware (sort of like Plextor DVDR drives and the media they work with).

JamieW wrote:Anyone that doesn't follow the new rule will have their phone number given to aviationwiz.

:o Yikes! :o If any weapon ought to be regulated, it should be that one. Quick! Someone call Senators Feinstein, Schumer, Chafee, Boxer and Durbin to tell on Jamie! :roll:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:22 am

dodecahedron wrote:thanks for the tips Wiz.

as a matter of fact i have quite a bit of experience as a Linux USER.

Me too, I've been a long time *nix user before I installed Linux. I know my way around it fairly well from all the years as a user, but I still wanted something that installed easily, mainly because I didn't have enough experience as an admin. That is why I selected College Linux and Mandrake.

dodecahedron wrote:i think i prefer RedHat over Mandrake (because i've had a little experience with it maybe), but i'm worried (???) that i might be missing something since RedHat has stopped releasing a Desktop version, maybe RedHat 9 is outdated?

RedHat 9 is definitely not outdated. Heck, even 7.3 isn't that outdated. Well, in chronological terms it is, but I know many ISP's that still use it because it has proven to be the most stable. The main complaint of RedHat is that it is prone to attacks, but once all the proper modules and updates are installed, it is pretty secure. Don't be afraid to install 7.3; you should be more used to it if you installed 7.2 in the past.

dodecahedron wrote:oh well, maybe i will do the Mandrake 9.2 if i can find it...

pchilson gave a mirror for Mandrake 9.2, so no worries there. Just scroll up. :)

JamieW: Maybe it just proves that I'm not a follower. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:31 am

I run debian on my xbox but when it comes to repairing it. HELP!!! And I am a computer technician. :oops: On my main computer Mandrake 9.1 worked great except it didnt support digital audio out with my hardware so I went back to win 2k. I have Mandrake 10 comm sitting here that I have tried to install over 10 times. It locks up randomly during the install. Since win 2k died this week with my cpu I have a new mb/cpu combo and will once again try mandrake 10. I really want it to work. I have suse availible and mandrake 9.2 also but not the same as the bleeding edge 10 :P

oh yeah as to JamieW's request I was gonna use aviationwiz as an example but cfitz totally beat me to it :wink:
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:13 pm

I would recommend that you try Mandrake 10 RC1 if you can find it anywhere instead of Mandrake 10 Community. I tried to install Community on two different computers, and it wouldn't even install. :o RC1 is working great on those same two computers, and it's very stable.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby pchilson on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:27 am

Here is the link to Mandrake's Press Release about what "Community" is.
It is essentially just "cooker" renamed...(beta code)

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/pr-releaseprocess.php3

10.0 official should be out in May.
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden